PDA

View Full Version : OT: Anyone know how to prepare cornish game hens?

deborah_r
12-09-2003, 05:31 PM
I picked some up because they were on sale and have not a clue what to do with them. Help!

MartiesMom2B
12-09-2003, 05:42 PM
Deborah:

Check out www.epicurious.com. I always find great recipes on that site. I typed in cornish game hens and they had a ton of recipes.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

Marisa6826
12-09-2003, 06:40 PM
Yum!!!

Make them just like a regular roaster chicken. I usually rub them down with olive oil. sprinkle with Kosher salt, fresh cracked pepper, some Spike (this awesome everything-under-the-sun spice mixture from Whole Foods), some dried parsley and a few sloshes of Worchestershire sauce.

Throw them in the oven with some ice cubes in the bottom of the pan (better than water). 20 minutes/lb. at 350 degrees.

It's better if you have a probe thermometer, cooking to 5 degrees LESS than the 165 deg. (I think) poultry temp. They continue cooking even after you take them out of the oven.

Let them sit for about 10 minutes, so the juices re-absorb and you're good to go!

I've also stuffed them with wild rice.

Have agreat dinner!!

-m

Rachels
12-09-2003, 06:44 PM
This is one of my favorite recipes of all time. It works on chicken, too! Your kitchen will smell like heaven, and everyone will think you've spent hours. Rub the hens inside and out with this mixture:

1/4 cup dijon mustard
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup (or more to taste) stoneground mustard
Fresh or dried rosemary to taste-- the more the merrier

It will bake into an amazing crust at 375. So delicious!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

McQ
12-09-2003, 06:50 PM
We do salt, pepper & olive oil on the skins. We also cut some lemons, squeeze them over the top, then stuff them inside the hen with garlic cloves and rosemary. Don't forget to make gravy from the juices. Yum!!!

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03

ethansmom
12-09-2003, 09:31 PM
This is the best!!!

marit
12-10-2003, 12:39 PM
What is stonegroung mustard? where do you find it?

This recipe sounds good!