PDA

View Full Version : Big Headed Baby - UPDATE

kozachka
12-09-2003, 11:33 PM
Just wanted to post an update on my baby for all of you who took time to share their birth stories with me a few weeks ago. My baby's head measured 40 weeks at the 36 weeks ultrasound and I was concerned that I'll have to have a C-section.

At 37 weeks and 6 days US his head measured 42 weeks on the view from above and 38.5 weeks on the 'frontal' view, which was in line with his stomach circumference. At that point the baby's weight was estimated to be 8.5 lbs. And I was 2-3 sm dilated. Considering all this, my doctor decided to schedule labor induction at 39 weeks but was pretty sure that it will start by itself before than.

And he was right, three days later, the morning of Thanksgiving I woke up because my water was leaking. Just 7 hours later, my baby boy was placed on my stomach after a VAGINAL delivery. I did not even have to have an episiotomy, got away with a tiny internal tear that required only one stitch. His head was indeed pretty big and got stuck on my pelvic bone on the way out so vacuum had to be used to assist his descent. Still, it was a pretty easy labor as they come and the baby was fine. He scored 9 out of 10 on both APGAR tests (and my hospital does not give 10 to anybody) and weighted 8.5 lbs. at full 38 weeks. I was lucky to have an experienced and caring doctor.

So if anyone out there is facing the same dilemma, do not despair. Your body knows when is the right time for your baby to come out and even if you have a large baby you can still deliver vaginally and feel good afterwords.

Once again, thank you to all the ladies who promptly responded to my original post. It was an encouragement to read all your stories.

Elena, mom to cranielly endowed baby boy Daniel

mharling
12-09-2003, 11:39 PM
> mom to cranielly endowed baby boy Daniel

LOL! :) What a wonderful story; thanks for sharing. And a big CONGRATULATIONS to you too.

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osnt.jsp?i=67b0de21b356c32425b2 - Halloween Pics!

elvisfan
12-10-2003, 02:22 AM
Having had a vacuum - assisted delivery myself, I am happy that your recovery is going well.

cinrein
12-10-2003, 07:55 AM
Congratulations on Daniel's birth! I'm so glad to hear that all went well. He sounds so healthy and beautiful. Enjoy him!

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

dogmom
12-10-2003, 08:37 AM
I'm so happy for you. Thanks for giving us the story, I'm sure it will give comfort to some of us in the future! I am remined of a friend of mine who was in labor with her second child when the OB was between her legs and spontaneously exclaimed, "WOW, that's a big head!" She said it was a good think it was her second child otherwise she would have panicked. Her daughter was wearing adult sized hats by the time she was a toddler.

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03

McQ
12-10-2003, 09:38 AM
Congratulations & welcome Daniel. Thanks for sharing your story.

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03

NEVE and TRISTAN
12-10-2003, 10:27 AM
Congrats Elena, it sounds like you all did marvelous!!!
Welcome to the world little baby!!! :)
Neve
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

momathome
12-10-2003, 10:32 AM
Elana-
I just wanted to say congratulations - sounds like you were a trouper!!! Kasey was in the bottom 10% for height and weight but 75% for head circumference - boy, did I know THAT when I was pushing her out! At 2 years-old, her winter hat is sized for a 5-7 year-old while the rest of her is still quite small. Just remember, big heads=big brains!!! Welcome Daniel!
-Lauren

amp
12-10-2003, 10:50 AM
Elena - Congratulations to you and a hearty welcome to Daniel! Glad your birth experience turned out to be a positive one for you!

todzwife
12-10-2003, 01:10 PM
Congrats! I had a vacuum assisted delivery too, although yours sounds better than mine was. (I had a second degree tear that she spent 45 minutes sewing up!) What a relief for you, huh! Congrats, can't wait to see pics!

jubilee
12-10-2003, 05:30 PM
Congrats Elena! Glad your story has such a happy ending!

MamaKath
12-10-2003, 07:08 PM
Congratulations Elena! And welcome to the world little Daniel! Glad it went pretty smoothly and you had a vaginal birth with no induction. And a Thanksgiving baby to boot! Does this dub him a little turkey?