PDA

View Full Version : OT- Questions about a good 35 mm camera...

abigailsmom
12-10-2003, 01:17 AM
I want a 35 mm camera for Christmas, but I need a little advice as to what is good out there. I want a camera that I will be able to learn and grow with. I am interested in doing some amateur photography, but I don't want a camera that is too much for me. A friend made a suggestion of a Canon Rebel, but I would love to here opinions/reviews/suggestions.

TIA!!!

vikivoly
12-10-2003, 01:38 AM
I think the Canon Rebel is one of the best entry level SLR's available. It's reasonably priced and has the capability to go from fully automatic to manual. It was my first 35mm camera and I used it to start a photography business.

abigailsmom
12-10-2003, 05:32 AM
Thanks!! Are there any other cameras I should consider? Oh and which Rebel should I look into? (Ti, 2000, XS, etc.?) Thanks for spending the time to answer my questions...

TIA!!

AngelaS
12-10-2003, 07:27 AM
We have a Canon too. We have an EOS that we LOVE! It's perfect for us because I can set it to automatic and get great pictures and DH can dork with the settings and take manual pics. :D

egoldber
12-10-2003, 08:03 AM
Well here are my thoughts on this. Most modern SLRs have a fully automatic mode and manual modes. But some SLR cameras have better user interfaces than others. I would go to stores and look at camera bodies to see which ones have controls that appeal to you. Try to go to a high end camera shop so that someone will actually understand the camera they are showing you.

And definitely check out this site:
http://www.photo.net/equipment/what-camera-should-I-buy

We have two Nikon film SLRs that we really like. People tend to either like the Canon or the Nikon interface. We prefer Nikon, but whatever. They are very similar and both are fine cameras.

Don't overlook used cameras. If your local high end camera shop has a used camera section, that can be a terrific way to get an excellent camera for much less than the equivalent new camera. As I said, we have two Nikon film SLRs. We have an N90s which we bought when it was the hot new thing 6 years ago. We also have a N6006 which we got for a song used. I MUCH prefer the N6006 to the fancier model. The interface is simpler and easier.

In terms of doing amateur photo, don't forget about lenses. Lenses are actually where you get by far, IMO, the most bang for your buck. And they are often much more expensive than the camera. The lenses that come in "package" deals, like a 30-150 mm zoom type thing, are usually far from the best quality lenses available. Again, eBay and the used section of camera shops are a great way to keep the cost of lenses down. We have bought almost all of our lenses second hand.

Edited again to add: Here's what the photo.net guy has to say about the Canon Revel http://www.photo.net/canon/rebel-g

HTH,

abigailsmom
12-10-2003, 01:52 PM
Thanks for those links... I'm going to read that this afternoon before I go hold/look at some cameras. DH hasn't started his shopping and he's blaming me. :( Any other helpful hints will be greatly appreciated.

TIA!