PDA

View Full Version : When was your dd/ds's first haircut?

mharling
12-10-2003, 06:13 PM
Dh is pressuring me to get ds's hair cut and I don't want to. Just curious what others have done. If you have more than one child, respond for the child who had their hair cut the earliest.

brubeck
12-10-2003, 06:47 PM
My babies are BALD!!!!!! So they didn't have enough hair to cut. Amy didn't get a haircut until she was more than 2. Andrew will be 1 in less than 2 weeks and only now is he just starting to need the tiniest trim in the back (nape of the neck). On the top and sides he still has almost nothing!

heva
12-10-2003, 07:41 PM
I have the OPPOSITE problem!! DS was born with tons of hair and it just keeps getting longer and longer and longer...and he's 11 weeks on Sunday!

egoldber
12-10-2003, 08:11 PM
This was my story with Sarah. Everyone kept telling me she'd lose all the hair she was born with and it never happened!

kathsmom
12-10-2003, 11:00 PM
Well, Katherine was almost 2 before she needed to have a haircut. Her hair was just slow growing. Andrew on the other hand needed a haircut when he was about 9-10 months old. He didn't get it cut until he was 13 months old. My grandmother believed it was bad luck to cut a baby's hair before his/her 1st birthday, so I just followed along with her belief (she died a long time ago, but I still liked following the tradition).

khakismom
12-11-2003, 01:31 AM
Kathleen just got her first haircut a few months ago and she is 2. But she has curly ringlets all over her head so if it was straight, I probably would have cut it sooner.

luvbeinmama
12-11-2003, 02:04 AM
Looking at your avatar, if it is current, I wouldn't get his hair cut at all. I had DS's cut at about 10 months because it was down to his eyebrows. DD is 14 months now and hasn't had a haircut because she really doesn't have much hair at all. So age is really not a factor as much as how much hair does your kid start off with! LOL! :)

newbelly2002
12-11-2003, 04:59 AM
They told me Dante's would fall out too. Instead it just grew long and fast and blond! He got his first haircut at 9.5 mths, and now at 16.5 has had three more. It should have been four, but we let it get a little long as you can see...

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/1570.jpg

Paula
Mama to Dante, 8/1/02

mharling
12-11-2003, 09:58 AM
Yep, the avatar's current. It's the hair on top the dh is talking about. Ds has little hair around the sides and the back, but the top is growing fast. We brush it to one side (ds has a part already!) and dh thinks is getting long enough that it doesn't comb very well or look very good. I think it's cute!

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osnt.jsp?i=67b0de21b356c32425b2 - Halloween Pics!

jesseandgrace
12-11-2003, 10:24 AM
I had bald babies, but even when my DS's hair grew I loved it. It was so cute with the little curls and everything. Finally my day care person told my husband she was going to cut it if I didn't! So, I cut it at about 11/2. I still miss the baby hair, and I am secretly thinking of letting it get a little long again. It seems to be the in thing as both Madonna and Cindy Crawford have sons with long locks :).

My six month old DD is bald still, and even in a pink dress people think she is a boy!

heva
12-11-2003, 01:03 PM
He IS cute! And I don't think he needs a cut...my DS has hair over his ears and creeping down his back already!

McQ
12-11-2003, 01:26 PM
Lane's adorable. And IMO, doesn't have enough hair to cut. Declan's pretty bald and I love every one of his little hairs. I couldn't imagine cutting them.

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03

mharling
12-11-2003, 01:34 PM
When dh was mentioning a haircut and I was resisting, he told me to ask my 'mommy friends'. I told him that wouldn't do any good (from his perspective). I think I need to have him read this thread. :)

Mary & Lane 4/6/03

KUvsOU
12-11-2003, 02:13 PM
I had my DH's hair cut when he was 9.5 months. It really was too long and I should have gotten cut sooner as it looks really bad in his 9 month pictures. His hair grows so fast we have to go every 3-4 weeks. The place we went for his first hair cut gave us a certificate with a before and after picture and attached a lock of his hair to it. He really does not mind going that much as he can watch a video while getting his hair cut in a little fire truck.

Shawna
Mom of Cade 6/16/02

amp
12-11-2003, 03:04 PM
DH keeps joking that we need to cut Jacob's hair, but I am adamant that I would like to wait until he's a year old. His hair did fall out (most of it anyway), but it's growing back in nicely. It's longest on the top, but still not anywhere near long enough for me to be inclined to do anything about it yet.

lukkykatt
12-11-2003, 03:14 PM
We just got DS' first haircut last night and he is almost 18 months old. My eyes were filling up with tears at the barber shop. WAH! What happened to my baby?

gravymommy3
12-11-2003, 04:47 PM
I have the really BALD babies!! Grayson has never had a haircut (she will be six in March) unless you count the little bit on each side she cut herself.

Avery was two weeks shy of his 3rd birthday before he got his first hair cut. He was almost completely bald on his 2nd birthday.

He got his first haircut at Disney. We got a certificate and Mickey ears. Daddy broke down and cried outside of the barber shop. It was quite a show. He just got his fourth haircut at Thanksgiving (and he is 4 years and two months old...)

I don't think Miss Hayden will every need a haircut. Not at the rate she is going...

At least it saves money.

sbaker
12-11-2003, 06:14 PM
I gave birth to a fur ball that needed a haircut at four months. I blame the furry thing on DH...I took a lot of pictures at that first haircut.

Before:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/1588.jpg

During:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/1586.jpg

After:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/1587.jpg

Just my two cents...
:) :+ :)
Sara
Mom to Rayce 02/09/02
Baby #2 due 01/05/04

luvbeinmama
12-11-2003, 07:34 PM
Paula - DS could be a twin to Dante! DS had (dark blond) hair that just kept growing and never fell out, too. AND he has that SAME RAINCOAT!!! LOL!!

mamicka
12-11-2003, 07:48 PM
The hair is adorable! DS is not quite 6 months & has had 3 haircuts so far. Mostly to trim up over the ears & the tail (yes, tail) he gets in the back. The top just gets trimmed to even it out, not take off any length.

NEVE and TRISTAN
12-11-2003, 08:21 PM
At this rate I wonder if T will ever get a haircut...poor T...
Neve
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

heva
12-11-2003, 08:48 PM
OMG!! SO CUTE!! We're definitely headed down your road, Rayce!!

gravymommy3
12-11-2003, 10:22 PM
Neve,

I feel your pain. I never thought Avery was going to need a haircut. T will sprout some hair and he will eventually need to get it cut. I started out bald too and I have a lot of hair. And Grayson has a lot and she was completely bald. So hang in there. In the meantime, enjoy it - makes it easier to rush out the door when you don't have hair to mess with!!!

NEVE and TRISTAN
12-11-2003, 11:08 PM
Steve said you called...I got home about dinner time and was afraid I'd interrupt your dinner if I called then :)...
...and yes it is nice not having to worry aobut my hair and T's :)

Neve
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

newbelly2002
12-12-2003, 04:48 AM
I love that raincoat! It makes me so happy every time I put it on him. Good thing cuz' it rains quite a bit around here.
Paula
Mama to Dante, 8/1/02

vpalmer
12-12-2003, 09:32 AM
I have the same problem. My 6 month old hardly has any hair and gets mistaken for a boy even when wearing pink! We will not be cutting hair for a long time!

Veronica
Mom to Eva
Born on 6-12-03

JElaineB
12-12-2003, 10:22 AM
I just got DS's haircut last week for the first time at 14 months old. I had trimmed his bangs myself before, but not anywhere else. I didn't really want to get it cut, but my parents pressured me into it! They didn't like people mistaking DS for a girl. (He is on the small side and had lots of curls!) I hated the idea of cutting off those cutie pie curls, and my husband didn't care that people thought he was a girl. But, I let my parents talk me into it anyway. So we took him to a kids hair cut place that had chairs shaped like cars, firetrucks etc. They had kids videos playing. He HATED getting his hair cut. He ended up standing up in the chair crying the whole time, with my father holding him (he would cry harder if I held onto him). We got the "Kid's first haircut" package which included a certificate, picture and lock of hair (a curl!) I must admit, DS looks much better now. His hair was getting scraggly. But it was a struggle to get it done!

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

mharling
12-12-2003, 11:38 AM
What a sweet picture (and I'm trying to picture you in the background too). I KNOW I'll be the same way; I get emotional just thinking about it!

Mary & Lane 4/6/03

celfsh
12-12-2003, 01:09 PM
Liv's first haircut was at about 5 months. Probably should have cut it sooner, but I waited because I was so nervous/emotional about it. Now I look back and laugh at the pre-haircut pictures of her with a mullet--a hairstyle only a mother could love! :)

celeste
mom to olivia 9/25/02

luvbeinmama
12-15-2003, 12:57 AM
Oh, yeah, when I saw it, I bought 2, one in his current (at the time) size, and the next size up. Now he is wearing the bigger one. Here in So Cal it rains & doesn't snow, so it's perfect all winter. I love it!

parkersmama
12-15-2003, 11:25 AM
I waited until after 1 year with both boys even though Parker really needed it before then. I'd heard that busines about bad luck before age 1, and although I'm really not very superstitious, I decided to wait. :)