PDA

View Full Version : So what about this flu vaccine.........

kfcboston
12-10-2003, 10:43 PM
Are all you folks part of this apparent frenzy to get your kids vaccinated? I'm wondering if it's a media creation. I'm also wondering why I feel a little wishy-washy about getting DS vaccinated. Anybody else have any hesitations? We're going to the ped for our 9-month tomorrow morning, so I'll certainly talk to her about it. But I'm curious about what you all think!

jesseandgrace
12-10-2003, 11:08 PM
I just had my baby vaccinated today, she is six months. My three year old was also scheduled to get it but they would not give it to him because he is not in a high risk group and they are short on vaccines - and this is in Cambridge, MA!

My ped said that the risk of getting the flu and dying is the same as being hit by lightning. He said he thinks the media has latched on to this. Either way, I am glad I was able to get the baby done. He also said the CDC recommends that kids should have it not necessarily because they are at high risk, but because they are the major transmitters of the disease. He does tend to be a little on the wait and see end, and does not give antibiotics unless the child is very sick, so take his opinion with a grain of salt :).

Jennifer

starrynight
12-10-2003, 11:19 PM
Before I get off on a major tangent I will preface this with a disclaimer:) This is my opinion, and my choice, no one has to agree/disagree or do what I'm doing :). That said...

No one in my house will ever in this lifetime get a flu shot. And flumist is especially one to avoid if you feel you must get one. It's the live version, and from what I have read you must stay away from immunocompromised people for 21 days after receiving flu mist. That means small infants, the elderly, people with autoimmune diseases and those receiving chemo. The reason being is everytime you sneeze out comes particles of the live virus the doc shot up your nose, great huh? I put that in there because in may places where they are out of flu shots they are offering flu mist.Link about flumist:
http://www.redflagsweekly.com/conferences/vaccines/oct03_Tenpenny.html

I believe the flu shot is something to create panic and send people rushing to their doctors to inture generate income for themselves. Think about it, you need a new shot every year and it only protects agains a few strains so in reality what good is it? And if you do get the flu, what do you do but go back to your doc for another visit and then possibly medicine. Again more income for them! I belive overvaxing with the flu shot could be causing these "killer strains" similar to over use of antibiotics. JMO though.

Found this on another site:

All info below is quoted from Newstaedter's "The Vaccine Guide".

"Flu Facts:
1-Flu vaccine manufactureers are notoriously inaccurate predicting the approptriate viruses to use in an individual's vaccine, rendering the vaccine ineffective.

2-Flu vaccine is relatively ineffective in those patients most at risk of flu complications.

3-The vaccine has caused GBS (Guillain-Barre Syndrome) in recipients during several different seasons

4-Those most at risk of flu complications probably share a higher risk of adverse reactions to the flu vaccine as well.

Also, from his book Neustaedter offers this info:

"Children are the next frontier for the lucrative flu vaccine campaign. Vaccination is currently recommended for children over 6 months of age with high-risk medical conditions, but is not recommneded for healthy children. Experts in the field suggest that parents of children 6 months to 2 years ""be informed that their children are at risk for serious complications of influenza, and allowed to make individual informed decisions regarding influenza immunization for their children""....This statement was made by Marie Griffin.....a paid consultant to one of the world's largest vaccine manufacturers, Burroughs Wellcome... The children's market is the next big hope for vaccine campaigners.

The next big change in flu vaccines will be the introduction of a live intranasal flu vaccine, a dose that is actually sprayed into the nose. This vaccine has already been tested on young children. ....This vaccine waits in the wings for its chance as the next big gun in the arsenal aimed at our children.

I know many people that have never had a flu shot and never had the flu either but I know tons of people that have had a flu shot and gotten sick. The possible side effects of the flu shot are very similar to a mild case of the flu.

ETA this link with tons of info
http://www.909shot.com/Diseases/influenzafacts.htm

I warned I would get off on a tangent!!! ;) Sorry this got enormously long!!

blnony
12-11-2003, 12:33 AM
Not to stir up a debate, but Audrey did get a flu shot this year. It was in early November, so it was before all this hoop-la in the media. My DH is a Ph. D. Toxicologist and felt that the shot was perfectly safe for our DD, and she hasn't had a single side effect from it. I think it is like most everything else with parenting, you have to do what you feel is right for you and your family. What works and is comfortable for some, may not be for others.

khakismom
12-11-2003, 01:12 AM
Yes, I do think the flu frenzy this year is media-generated. And yes, both my DDs got their flu shot. Both my girls are in a child care situation so if getting this shot prevents them from getting the flu or other illness, or getting it but with lessening syptoms, I will do it. According to the CDC, approx 36,000 people die every year from the flu, so the deaths this year are unfortunately part of that picture.

And I totally agree with Brianna. You have to do what's right for you and your family. What works for one may not work for others.

Calmegja2
12-11-2003, 08:50 AM
I think it's a particularly virulent year for the flu, but I think the media has turned the beaters on high to froth it up even more. The death rate is higher than predicted for the infant group, and they are actually getting complications at a higher rate than the traditionally highest risk group of the elderly.

Can the flu be dangerous? Yes. Can it be fatal? Yes. Is everyone and their brother at grave risk immediately from it? No. A flu shot can be a good part of prevention, but so can getting enough rest, staying well hydrated, washing hands frequently, cracking a window in your house to improve circulation, and taking general commone sense approaches to maintaining health.

We got our flu shots at the beginning of their availibility. I'm a firm believer in them, but I'm also a firm believer that every parent has the right to make the decision that they feel is best for their individual situation. It may not coincide with our decisions, but they still have the right and choice to make it.

jojo2324
12-11-2003, 09:26 AM
We all got the flu shot here. Like I've said before, my ped doesn't necessarily recommend it for little tykes, but she DID for Gannon because he is asthmatic.

All that said, my ped's office has been overrun with children there to get the shot. And the reason I notice? Because it seems Gannon and I have been there every day for the past month. Both he and DH got very sick. I didn't get sick at all.

So, I'm not opposed to the flu shot, but it certainly hasn't seemed to prevent the flu in our home. (DH and DS both got really sick last year too.) I don't know that I'll get it next year, but I will give it to DS because of his compromised breathing.

jesseandgrace
12-11-2003, 09:51 AM
I heard last night on the news that the shortage is nation wide, and there is no more vaccine available. Individual doctors offices may have some in their supply, but there is no more out there when that is gone. I think it will now be almost impossible to get it for healthy kids or adults. The mist is available, but I think it can not be used on kids under 7.

elvisfan
12-11-2003, 09:59 AM
We were thinking about it, but there are no vaccines left!!!!! My mil has been pestering me about it,too,which makes it worse:( I honestly don't think it's as big of a deal as the media makes it out to be........

MartiesMom2B
12-11-2003, 10:21 AM
I think the media has blown the flu vaccine way out of proportion. From what I heard, they run out of the vaccine every year.

DD is getting her booster shot tomorrow. DH and I didn't get get one this year. If one was readily available to me, then I would've gotten one. The one year I didn't get one, I got a nasty case of the flu as well as strep throat. To make matters worse I was on a plane when it took full effect, so I'm sure the whole plane had the flu and strep throat.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

egoldber
12-11-2003, 11:34 AM
Well, I did decide sort of last minute to get DD the flu vaccine. But not because of the reports of deaths (which is terribly tragic for those families, but not very likely) but because of the reports that the flu is supposed to be more virulent this year than most years.

And my DD is:

1) over 2
2) in preschool 2 days a week with 14 other 2 year olds and in playgroup once a week with several 2 year olds, many if whom are in daycare part-time
3) we're TTC and I REALLY don't want to get the flu when pregnant

HTH,

sntm
12-11-2003, 12:45 PM
I heard on NPR that they usually dump 5 to 10 thousand doses that they never use.

I think the media blows everything out of proportion (says the daughter of a newspaper writer ;) ) and this is just the latest thing, but it still can be a nasty illness that can be fatal and is worse this year than most. DH and I were both vaccinated through work. we have an appt monday and if she's got any left, i'm going to get jack immunized also.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

Sarah1
12-11-2003, 01:02 PM
My Audrey got a flu shot as well. Her ped recommended it, and I really like my ped, so I basically go with whatever she recommends. I myself have never had a flu shot, and about three weeks ago, I had a mild case of the flu which lasted about 10 days (I was only REALLY sick for about two days, but the symptoms lingered for several days). DD was fine even though I was constantly in contact with her, and of course I have to wonder if the shot kept her from getting sick. Who knows.

I also agree that the media HAS totally created a frenzy with their usual scare tactics. Leave it to the local news stations...they totally traffic in stirring up panic.

Edited to add--Audrey takes two classes and we are in a playgroup, and that was one of the reasons my ped recommended it--since she's around other kids.

Sharon
12-11-2003, 09:16 PM
My pediatrician said that if it was his kid he would NOT give the flu shot since my son is healthy. The strain that is the most virulent is not even in the shot and the chance of side effects from the shot is greater than the chance of coming down with complications from the flu. He did give my husband and I the flu shot though since that would be the main way DS would get it.

I asked him about the deaths in Colorado. He said something is not right there and that they are investigating. He also said something about that not getting the whooping cough vaccine has been very popular in Colorado the past few years and wondered if there could be some connection. Anyone else hear this??

Calmegja2
12-11-2003, 09:32 PM
That was on our local news last night, but the story was so jumbled, I could not make out the point. Or maybe it was crying toddler in my arms that made it seem jumbled.

I was going to remember to do a search on that today, but I forgot until I read this. I can't imagine how they'd be connected.