PDA

View Full Version : OT: Carpet Shedding - how to cope?

COElizabeth
12-11-2003, 01:39 PM
We just moved into a new home this weekend, and the carpet is driving me crazy! It's a low-grade (we didn't get to pick it, and I think it's near bottom of the line), standard plush pile carpet, and it seems to be shedding an inordinate amount. I see fuzz everywhere, and DS (who is still crawling) is covered with the fibers. I also get them in my mouth and on my clothes all day long. I try to vacuum with my nearly new Hoover Windtunnel, but the vacuum just gets all clogged up with the fuzz, and the vacuum stops sucking. The stuff isn't even making it all the way to the bag, so it's not full. I called a carpet store, and the guy there said some shedding is normal and that I just need to vacuum over and over again. I've lived in new homes before and never had this problem, though, and the shedding seems excessive to me. Plus, I literally cannot vacuum because the machine gets all clogged in places I can't reach. Any suggestions? Help!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

sugarsnappea
12-11-2003, 02:46 PM
I too, have a similiar problem. I have been in my new house for 3 weeks and have gone thru 3 vacuum bags. I have a Miele and haven't had a problem with my vacuum getting clogged. But there is fuzz everywhere! Are you sure it is not your vacuum? Maybe you could call a vacuum store and let them check it out so you know for sure. Sorry I couldn't help more. :)

pritchettzoo
12-11-2003, 05:06 PM
New carpet is supposed to shed, but the low-grade stuff will shed more. The clogged vacuum sounds like it's the vacuum. Can you borrow a super-duper one to do a few good passes? When we had new carpet installed recently, the people told us to vacuum every day. Yeah, right! Luckily it's not a high traffic area (the nursery), so we aren't being taken over by fuzz balls. When we put it in our last house everywhere, I thought I would go insane with all the fuzz, especially since it was winter and static-clung to everything, including the animals. Although watching a cat trying to get rid of a piece of carpet by running at warp speed backwards was rather entertaining!

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)