PDA

View Full Version : More holiday gift questions- what to get DH's office assistant?

sugarsnappea
12-12-2003, 08:50 AM
Last night I reminded DH that he needed to get his assistant a holiday gift. He mentioned that the partners usually give monetary gifts and that he thinks a small $20 gift is appropriate (he is an associate). He shares the assistant with the department head. I think $20 is a little chintzy and was thinking about spending $50. What do you think?
Also, the only gift I could come up with (she is a single woman in her 50's) is a box of Godiva. Would this be appropriate? Any other suggestions? I never met her and he doesn't seem to know much about her either. Any help appreciated! :)

MartiesMom2B
12-12-2003, 09:23 AM
When I was an office assistants, I enjoyed receiving gift certificates to the local mall, nice restaurants, and chocolate. So I think the box of Godiva would be nice.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

momma_boo
12-12-2003, 09:31 AM
I usually give a gift card to a department store for our administrative assistant (I'm her supervisor). I figure that she would appreciate being able to go and pick out something for herself or her family that she would want/need.

One item that I might also suggest is a Coach keyring. They have some nice looking ones that are around $30. Here is one that I'm thinking of getting for our baby-sitter:
http://coach.com/shop/product_nobefree.asp?product_no=4285&category_id=120&show_bc=&base_index=0&sort_by_price=&easyask_id=&rfx_zoom=false

alkagift
12-12-2003, 11:04 AM
I've given a gift certificate to a local spa that would cover a manicure and pedicure (you could do one or the other).

Allison
Mom to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

emmiem
12-12-2003, 11:07 AM
I think $50 is too much to spend. My DD has several office assistants, receptionists, and nurses that help him out. We used to spend more but discovered it did not help keep staff longer or make production any better. We backed down to about $25 each. He does give monetary bonuses to the nurse in charge. Godiva chocolate is good, manicures or pedicures (not both), candles, books, and restaurant gift certificates are all ideas that we have used in the past.
Emmie

Dcclerk
12-15-2003, 08:02 PM
Deb-- I think it really depends where you are. I'm assuming that your husband is an attorney. (Feel free to correct me, but that't the standpoint I'll go from.) With that in mind, I have to agree that $20 would be considered a little cheap around here. At least around these parts (L.A.), it is truly expected that the attorneys buy $50+ gifts for their assistants (and that is from a 1st year associate). Frankly, it goes up the longer you have been with them. I do think, though, that it should be commensurate with the work that they do, also. I also think that it would help if he asked around his colleagues.

Some suggestions... Harry & David pears go over really well. A gift certificate for a nice restaurant. I think Godiva is great. A small trinket from Tiffany's. (My assistant is a 65 year old unmarried flower child and she still loves the Tiffany's box!) I agree with the manicure certificate. Anything related to her hobby. (Last year I got my assistant a framed wolf print and she LOVED it, believe it or not.) A really nice pen. A bonsai tree for her desk.

Good luck on that front. It really is never very easy.

sugarsnappea
12-16-2003, 01:43 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. Since DH has only one assistant, I decided to spend a little more. I think I will go the Godiva and a GC route. Thanks for your insight Kerry, your assumptions were correct. DH is a first-year associate.