PDA

View Full Version : I found out I'm having a ....

trumansmom
12-12-2003, 12:08 PM
GIRL!!! And I'm thrilled! This will be our last child, and it's great to have a "set". (Ironically, all of our siblings each have one boy and one girl. We thought for sure that would mean we were having another boy!)

But I'm also feeling totally baffled. What does one do to prepare for a girl? I feel like I just started truly getting a handle on learning how to be a mom to a boy, and now I have to figure out everything all over again. Girls clothes, girl toys, how to do hair, YIKES!!!!

Moms of girls- any advice?

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and EDD 4/23/04!

mharling
12-12-2003, 12:13 PM
I don't have a girl, so I can't help you there, but I wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS!!! I can see your excitment in your post. :)

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osnt.jsp?i=67b0de21b356c32425b2 - Halloween Pics!

mamahill
12-12-2003, 12:24 PM
Congratulations!! Having a girl is sooooo fun. I never really thought I'd be a girly-girl mom, but DH assures me I am. Having a little girl is fantastic! The clothes are the fun part! The toys don't differ very much until they turn 2-3. And the hair? Unless you birth a Sabrina (a la Annette), you won't have to worry about the hair for the first year. I think Sabrina had her first haircut in the delivery room? LOL.

khakismom
12-12-2003, 12:51 PM
Congratulations Jeanne!! How wonderful to have a boy and a girl! :) Oh, the clothes--one of the best parts of having a little girl... :)

Roleysmom
12-12-2003, 12:54 PM
Jeanne, it's a lot of fun to have a girl. I also never thought I was a girly mom (you know what I mean) but my MIL would tell you differently. She swears that at Roley's age her daughter didn't have a preference for outfits -- anything pink or flowered are the favorites here. It's soo much fun to buy clothes, and shoes!

I am hair styling impaired myself. Think Hillary Clinton pre-sylists as a candidate's wife with long hair and a head band to get it out of the way --although I don't use a headband! But with Roley I seem to have a little better luck. Our college-age babysitter introduced her to fountain style pony tails (or Punky Brewster pony tails as she, the babysitter, not Roley, calls them) and hair clips, which she loves. I got suckered into buying these cupcake hairclips at Gymboree the other day. I haven't been able to do quite as good of a job as the babysitter but good enough for Roley for now. I do expect to hear complaints by the time she get to kindergarten, though. I'll keep practicing! Or, you could keep it short, like my husband wants to do.

I agree with Sarah that for the first couple of years the toys are the same. I think for little ones, it's the child's personalitiy rather than the gender that determines what he or she is interested in. That said, it is a lot of fun to see her play with the FP sweet sounds playhouse. (Although I can imagine a boy having a lot of fun too!)

We have cousins whose boy and girl (in their case the girl is the oldest) are spaced the same as Truman and the little one will be. They are incredibly close and a joy to their parents. Good luck!

Paula-- mom to Roley Julia 01-04-02

celfsh
12-12-2003, 12:57 PM
Congrats! You will love having a girl--at least we do! It's so much fun! Just yesterday we were laughing about how Olivia's such a "girly-girl" one second (changing her outfit several times a day, trying on my heels, carrying around a cell phone and purse) and then so rough-and-tumble the next (she LOVES to wrestle--I swear she's going to be a Gladiator some day!) I'm not really sure how to tell you how to prepare for having a girl (I still can't do hair as I'm sure MIL will attest!), but I can assure you it is definitely a blast!

Congrats again...and let the shopping begin!

celeste
mom to olivia 9/25/02

McQ
12-12-2003, 01:22 PM
No advice, just a big CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03

COElizabeth
12-12-2003, 01:43 PM
I'm a boy's mom, but congratulations!!!! How exciting!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

smomom
12-12-2003, 02:30 PM
Congratulations Jeanne!

I don't have any advice for you, but I am so very excited for you!!

amp
12-12-2003, 02:39 PM
Jeanne - Congratulations! I know you are so excited about this baby and it's exciting to find out you're starting a whole new ball game now with a little girl! Won't be long now!

egoldber
12-12-2003, 03:13 PM
Congrats! And girls are SO much fun!!! :)

lukkykatt
12-12-2003, 03:19 PM
Congratulations! I have no advice, since I am a boys' mom, but I am sure it will come natural.

I always imagined myself as having only girls and playing Barbies and dress-up all day. And here I am with Tonkas and Thomas, so you will definitely figure it out! And ahhh, the clothes....I will have to live vicariously through you :)

jubilee
12-14-2003, 11:59 PM
Congrats! How exciting!

NEVE and TRISTAN
12-15-2003, 12:19 AM
Jeanne,
I am so excited for you!!! What great news!!! You will be a fantastic mom to a little girl. I can't wait to "see" you thru this!!!
Thanks so much for sharing!!!

Neve
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

starrynight
12-15-2003, 12:35 AM
Congrats!!!! Girls are so much fun :). Daria loves both girl and boy toys and Eliza is at the age where there isn't a real differance. There is definatly more choices as far as clothes go :). Happy shopping!

bluej
12-15-2003, 05:15 AM
Congratulations! As for advice....pace yourself w/ the spending! I don't care what anyone says, girls cost at least three times as much as boys!

momathome
12-15-2003, 09:44 AM
Jeanne-
I just wanted to say congratulations - what wonderful news! As the mommy of 2 girls, we are overrun with hairbows, enough clothes for a set of octuplets, and SHOES!!! Did I mention how addictive shoes for little girls are? You need a good dozen pairs to match all of their adorable little outfits! You will have so much fun! I am sure that Truman will be a wonderful big brother who will look out for his little sis. Congrats again!
-Lauren

parkersmama
12-15-2003, 10:54 AM
How wonderful! Congratulations!

Being the mom of a girl is fabulous! I felt the same as you...completely overwhelmed when suddenly faced with having a girl, even though it's what I'd been dreaming of. :) How do you dress a girl? What do little girls do about this or about that? Well, I've found that reading this board and asking friends has really helped with those questions. Just ask when one occurs to you! And have fun! Girl clothes are really so much more fun than boy clothes and we haven't even started into the shoes yet! I'm also looking forward to having some dolls and tea parties. I'm just hoping Amy Grace will cooperate! LOL!

The 2 1/2 year spacing will be so great. My boys are that much apart and they are the best of friends (also big enemies, alternating about every 5 minutes or so!!).

brubeck
12-15-2003, 11:48 AM
Being the Mom of a girl and a boy I can tell you that the toys ARE the same for 2 to 3 years. Andrew is playing with all of Amy's toys, and he's getting into her Little People! He's even playing with her pink minivan, LOL!

Amy didn't get any 'girly' toys except one doll until she was 3. Oh yeah, and the pink minivan a couple of months ago as a potty reward. Many of her toys are still unisex.

The clothes will be completely different unless you dressed Truman in yellow and white. Plus if you have bald babies like I did, you'll start getting touchy when everyone thinks your bald baby is a boy, so you'll be wild on the pink for awhile. Just think, you get to shop in the cuter sections of Carter's, Gymboree, etc. :)

As for haircuts, you will either have a bald baby (in which case you don't need a haircut until her bangs start falling into her eyes in about 2 years) or you will have a baby with lots of hair (which means you can start that all important early training on keeping barrettes in the hair). Either way has its advantages.

Welcome to the girls club! :)

cinrein
12-15-2003, 11:56 AM
Congratulations!

Girls are so fun! Be warned, however, the cute clothing possibilities could easily send you to the poorhouse! Really, you figure it all out just as you did with Truman.

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03