PDA

View Full Version : so anal: "Goodnight Moon" room appears so hazardous to me

kristine_elen
12-12-2003, 02:40 PM
We read books to Jack before bed and always end with Goodnight Moon. I know it's ridiculous, but as I turn the pages I keep scanning the room thinking of how un-baby-proofed it is. Am I really that much of a worrier?

To name a few, you've got:
a fire (with no screen)
a mouse (probably attracted by the bowl of mush that was left out)
a telephone that will wake up baby if it rings
a balloon that could pop and be a choking hazard
a heavily framed picture right above baby's bed that could fall and hit his head

I love this book. Too bad I'm an anal freak.

etwahl
12-12-2003, 02:51 PM
Kristine, that's so funny. I'm anal about this book too, but in a different way. WHY is that dang balloon in some pics and not in others. In the place where it SHOULD be, it isn't in some pages!!! it drives me crazy :)

lauren LOVES that book. Every time she sees the red balloon, she goes all crazy and laughs and tries to get the balloon really close to her face. it's cute.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

amp
12-12-2003, 02:52 PM
Hee hee! Thanks for the chuckle, Kristine! Reminds me when we took our childbirth class and they passed us a sheet with a baby in a room full of hazards. There happened to be a phone sitting on the table in the pic and we all joked that is was so the baby could call for help and say "My parents are morons. Look what they left for me to get into. Get me outta here!" Maybe that's why there's a phone in the room in the book too! :-)

kristine_elen
12-12-2003, 02:57 PM
Oh, I never noticed the balloon. You're right. Funny. We also have "I Went Walking" and it's ALL screwed up. Kid is walking and runs into all these animals and the pictures show the kid walking with the animals before he/she (hard to tell) meets them. (My husband pointed this out.) Oh, well, Jack likes them just the same. It will be fun to see if they notice the discrepencies when they're older.

cara1
12-15-2003, 02:08 PM
Have fun looking for the mouse. Did you know you can find it on EVERY page?

brubeck
12-15-2003, 08:53 PM
Amy was on an elephant kick at about age 2. She found the elephant on the shelf one day and even now every time we read it she has to point out the elephant on the page.

Oh and as for baby hazards, maybe that mush is boiling hot! And little fingers could get scrunched under the rocking chair.

lizajane
12-15-2003, 10:18 PM
YOU WILL NOT RUIN GOODNIGHT MOON FOR ME, DARN IT!!

:)

ok... i see i have to set you all straight...

the "old lady whispering hush" is the baby bunny's grandmother. he is in the great green room VISITING because his mommy is having another bunny (you know how those rabbits go at it) so while mombunny and dadbunny are at the bunny hospital, bunnyboy had to go to grandbunny's house. he is in HER room, where she is perfectly safe because she is a grown-up bunny. that is why there are so few TOYS in the room! and not any real children's decor. she just brought the "little toy house" down from the attic while he was visiting. the phone is right by the bed because mombunny and dadbunny promised to call as soon as babybrother bunny arrived. the uneaten rice cereal is still in the room because bunnyboy was so excited about his baby brother, he just couldn't eat all his dinner. and grandbunny hasn't removed it yet because she is waiting for him to go to sleep before she leaves the room because she doesn't want him to get scared.

and finally, the balloon FLOATS and sometimes it moves out of the picture. sometimes even into the hall, but then bunnyboy cries for it so grandbunny goes out to the hall to get it, and then brings it right back in.

;)

starrynight
12-16-2003, 12:22 AM
LOL Liza, I love your explanation :).