PDA

View Full Version : I need a Baby's First Christmas ornament! Help!

pritchettzoo
12-15-2003, 12:52 AM
Nothing like waiting until everything is sold out... Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

starrynight
12-15-2003, 01:56 AM
Have you tried Hallmark? I got Alex's at a hallmark his first xmas. I think most catalogs won't be able to ship in time unles you pay for express, not to mention they might be sold out. But you could still try!

I got both of the girls' ornaments from www.mileskimball.com I saw it in the catalog then ordered online. Their site can be a pita to navigate though. But they ship quick and have great customer service.

August Mom
12-15-2003, 02:57 AM
Have you looked at any department stores? I received a Gorham locket ornament last year as well as a baby carriage with a heart to engrave with the name, date, etc. Good luck.

heidi_timms
12-15-2003, 03:36 AM
I'm looking for one too. I want one special one. Our first year married ornament is a bride and groom Lenox with the year on it. Anybody see any sales on nice ornaments?

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

justlearning
12-15-2003, 04:25 AM
Here's a recent thread that may provide you with some good ideas... http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=37&topic_id=41763&mode=full

I still need to get one too!

esianoyam3
12-15-2003, 08:30 AM
Have you tried Things Remembered? I don't know if the shopping malls in your area have them, but they also have a website. They have really cute pewter ornaments. I got DD one with a moon and stars on it, with her name engraved on it, and it turned out beautifully.

Here's a link to the baby ornaments on their site:

http://www.thingsremembered.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&categoryId=1228&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=322&topCat=1

mattysmom
12-15-2003, 09:12 AM
The Pottery Barn Kids store in Burlington, MA had a number of ornaments - and at 30% off.

parkersmama
12-15-2003, 11:00 AM
Anna,
When Parker was a baby I did the same thing...waited until the last minute! Of couse, by that time, only the tackiest "First Christmas" ornaments were still available! LOL! So, rather than the traditional route, I bought a Dept. 56 Snow Babies ornament. It is a little white angel baby blowing a trumpet. So, when Wesley came along I got him a Snow Baby as well (baby angel holding the letters J-O-Y). And for Amy Grace, I just got one that is a baby angel on a cloud and the cloud has the words "Angel Baby" on it. They are very special to me (and the only Snow Babies that we have) and I hang them all together on the tree in a little grouping. I'm now really glad that I did something a little against the norm! HTH!

ETA: I might be able to find one around here for you...want me to look??

LucyG
12-15-2003, 08:59 PM
We decided to make one with DD's handprint on it. Rudimentary, yes, but unique. We couldn't find any that we liked or were willing to pay for! I think we'll use a cinnamon dough and make a small, round ornament with her print and the year on it.

bunnisa
12-15-2003, 11:21 PM
It probably wouldn't be in time for this Christmas (unless you won an auction ending tomorrow), but I recommend eBay. I bought a brand new, in original box Lenox "Our First Christmas" ornament dated with the year we were married, and it only cost me $2.50 (for a $25 ornament!). I bought it a few months before our 2nd Christmas.

Maybe not as much fun as having it now, but you may be able to get a really great deal, and it would give you time to shop around. Otherwise, the Things Remembered site does have some really great ornaments!

Have fun!

Bethany
It's a Boy!
William Eric (Wilkes)
6/16/03

deborah_r
12-16-2003, 02:39 AM
Thanks for the Miles Kimball link. I just ordered 2 baby ornaments, because I couldn't decide. I won't get them by Christmas, but I more want it as a keepsake anyway!

partyof5
12-16-2003, 03:33 AM
I actually got an ornament series from Hallmark (I think it's the Child's Age Collection) that goes from my First Christmas all the way to my Fifth Christmas. This year they have separate series for boys and girls.

http://www.hallmark.com/Website/Images/Products/Dreambook2003/qxg2487_lrg.jpg

Each ornament has the year on the back. It's funny because last year I forgot to buy it for my girls and I felt sooo bad but right after New Year's I went on the Hallmark website and I snatched it up for 50% off. I won't be doing that this year. I'll order mine tonight :-)

~Cindy mommy to...
Isabella (11/1999)
Sophia (10/2001)
Ethan (4/2003)