PDA

View Full Version : Need hairstyle suggestions please

himom
12-15-2003, 04:42 AM
Okay, I really need some help. I've had waist-length hair for years, and it's just time for a change. I'm scared to get a bad cut, though, so I want to get lots of opinions first.

I have the round/oval face, mostly because of too much extra weight. I'd really like a style that slims it a bit or at the least doesn't add too much roundness. Add to that I have very fine, thin hair -- lots and lots of it. It curls when it's short and tends to frizz easily. Finally, to complicate matters, I have a very Hawaiian nose (large, kind of flat).

Lately I'v just been putting it in a ponytail or a bun, but I need a "prettiness" boost and I'm hoping a new haircut might do it.

Any cut recommendations? I don't have a lot of time to mess with hair in the morning, since Josh keeps me on my toes, so something that's relatively easy would be great.

I'm starting to wonder if such a cut exists. Maybe it's like the perfect stroller?

Jodi
Mommy to Joshua, born February 2003

Here's a picture of Josh & I:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/1614.jpg

himom
12-15-2003, 04:45 AM
Argh! The picture is huge! I'm so sorry.

It's so frustrating when you are unhappy with the way you look and it is compounded by an enormous picture!

Any computer guru who can tell me how to fix it will have my eternal gratitude!

Jodi
Mommy to Joshua, born February 2003

Rachels
12-15-2003, 09:59 AM
It's worth asking for a consultation at a really good salon. A lot of them will do that for free or for a small cost. If you're making a huge change, it's worth paying someone who really knows what they're doing.

I think an updated look will really make you feel good! I once cut eight inches off my hair, and while I thought I would pass out during the actual procedure, it looked great. I got a billion compliments in the weeks that followed, and just generally looked more like a grownup. I've never grown it back out-- it's just better shorter.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Momof3Labs
12-15-2003, 10:11 AM
I used to have mid-back length hair and am SO happy that I cut it! It is now shoulder length (so still ponytail-able) but just looks so much fuller since all that weight isn't weighing things down.

I wasn't able to view your picture, but wanted to mention Locks of Love www.locksoflove.org - you can donate your trimmed tresses to them to make wigs for cancer patients!

Oh, and when I was hesitant to cut my hair, someone reminded me that it was just hair and it would grow back!! Of course, too many short layers will take a long time, so I went with fewer longer layers the first time!

etwahl
12-15-2003, 10:17 AM
jodi, i wasn't able to view the pic either, so i can't suggest a particular style, but i am also cutting my hair (at the end of this month). since i'm in a new city, i'll be working with a new stylist, but she is supposed to be really good. i'll take pics with me of stuff i like (and point out styles i definitely don't like) and then have her suggest something and then hopefully we'll agree!

i have always had long hair and i think it's really hard to take that step to cut it off. i did cut it quite a bit shorter during pregnancy, then immediately grew it out. i think this time i'll be taking the plunge for good. i WISH i could cut it really short, but i fear that i don't have the face to pull it off, and that it could end up more work, but that is what a good stylist will hopefully be able to tell me. GOOD LUCK! I agree with everyone, find a REALLY good stylist. even if you normally don't spend a lot of money on your haircuts, it is worth it to spend a lot THIS TIME. find someone you can trust, and go to a consultation only appointment, then once you've had a chance to think about her suggestions, go back later to get it cut (try not to do both in one day...otherwise you might not have time to think about whether it's what you really want). also, don't just let her suggest cuts. make her show you pictures. i've had that happen before. i thought a hairdresser was suggesting one thing, but he was suggesting another, and in the end i was freaked out about what he actually did to my hair.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com