PDA

View Full Version : when did you start pillows and blankets for your baby?

spu
12-15-2003, 04:49 PM
The babies are almost 17 mos, and we cosleep about 90% of the night. I have a few really flat standard size pillows on the bed that we all share (in addition to MY down pillow that nobody else touches LOL!). Is it ok to leave them at this age for naps with regular bed pillows? And how about blankets? most of the time, they either pull them over their heads, or kick them off, but is safety still a concern with blankets and pillows at this age? What do you do?

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte + else

http://sunger2.home.comcast.net/bash/nonflash/year.html

kathsmom
12-15-2003, 04:59 PM
Susan,

Andrew is almost 15 months old and we try to use a blanket with him, but he always kicks it off, so we are getting warm footie pajamas for him to keep him warm. I have no problems putting a lightweight blanket on him in his crib.

As far as pillows, I don't have one in his crib, but sometimes I bring him into bed with me at night when he wakes up and he sleeps on my pillow with me. Or he likes to burrow in the side of the pillow I am using. I am not comfortable using a pillow with him alone in his crib, but don't mind it when I am there in bed with him. I think I started using a pillow with Katherine when she was about 20-24 months old. She was in a twin size bed at the time.

I hope this helps a little!

Take care!

brigmaman
12-16-2003, 07:23 PM
Susan, I have been wondering about pillows/blankets as well. At ds' 12 month appt. I asked my (very arrogant) ped if it was ok for Brig to have a pillow in his crib. (We cosleep at night and use the crib for naps) We had noticed that Brig would fall asleep more easily on a pillow and during his frequent bouts of bronchiolitis last winter, we tried to keep him on an incline. The ped said he couldn't really suggest using a pillow, but wasn't going to tell me to stop if I was. Not too vague, huh?! He went on to say that Brig doesn't NEED a pillow, as though I was suggesting that I wanted to add a pillow to the crib for aesthetic reasons. Anyway, he really never answered my question I think because it is not recommended until after 2 years old. I don't know this for sure, though.
That said, we have had Brig sleeping on a flat pillow in our bed for a few months now and he also has the same flat pillow for his naps in his crib.
We usually put a blanket over him from the waist down, but he never keeps it on.

egoldber
12-16-2003, 08:16 PM
I got Sarah a small pillow from Pottery Barn Kids when she was around 20 months. She didn't like it at first, but now she loves it and definitely prefers to have a pillow. I've had a fleece crib size blanket in her crib for several months now, but she usually kicks that off.

HTH,

lukkykatt
12-16-2003, 10:58 PM
DS is 18 months old now, and we started using blankets a few months ago when it started getting cold - a lightweight open-weave type blanket. No pillows yet...I gave my older son a flat pillow when he was 2.5 and transitioned to a bed. Most of my friends started using a pillow when their children were 2.

PS: Are your girls sleeping better now?

AngelaS
12-17-2003, 07:32 AM
I have always used blankets with my babies. I know, I know....

Adrienne got a pillow when she moved to her big girl bed around age 3. Now at days shy of 6, she often scoots down in her twin bed and doesn't even use it. LOL

Gabrielle is 19 months and has a baby quilt and/or a Gymboree blanket in her bed each night. No pillow yet.