PDA

View Full Version : Calling any doctors in the house

Marisa6826
12-16-2003, 05:46 PM
Are there any health implications of holding off on Sophie's 12m boosters? I didn't get her the flu shot, so it will only be the usual "suspects".

I REALLY don't want to risk bringing her into a sickie office just before spending the next three weeks in a sublet and hotel.

I plan on finding a new Ped, but our insurance is switching over on 1/1 and I don't think I will be able to get her medical records before then anyway.

Thanks

-m

sntm
12-16-2003, 05:59 PM
surgeon, not a ped, but from my understanding, the schedule is somewhat arbitrary and designed to coincide with usual check-up times. i don't think it would affect her eventual immunity if they were delayed. i know ours are not exactly on schedule, and since we have been splitting the vaccinations (after jack had a nasty neuro reaction to the combo vaccine) the rest of his 6 month vaccinations won't happen until he is 7 1.2 months old.

will happily defer if someone knows something i don't, but that's my understanding.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

friedmana1
12-16-2003, 06:51 PM
Marisa -

Shannon is right...Each vaccine has a range of time when it should be given for maximum effectiveness. For example, MMR's range is 12-15 months for the first dose, so anytime in that range should be okay. That said, there is some research showing that when you give *certain* vaccines at *certain* times during that range, the immunity is built up better. Bottom line, it really shouldn't matter. If you want to PM me and talk about which ones she was supposed to have so I can give you a better handle on this, feel free.

HTH!

Aimee
Mother to Leah 10/26/02

Marisa6826
12-16-2003, 07:02 PM
Thanks Aimee and Shannon. The doctor's office called back and they told me that I WAS putting Sophie at risk since they have the shots spaced for specific reasons. I thought it was a load of hooey.

It's the Prevnar and Comvax (sp?) that she's supposed to get. The nurse could seem to care less when I told her I had a serious problem about their waiting room policy - basically telling me that it was what I was up against for the next several months and to get over it. It seems they lost their lease on their second office space.

I told her that despite our moving, that is reason enough to leave their practice because I refuse to expose Sophie to those kinds of germs.

She then got testy and told me she'd have the Ped call me tonight.

For some reason I thought she was supposed to also get the Chicken Pox vax, but I guess that's later.

-m

JElaineB
12-16-2003, 08:09 PM
At 12 months DS got Prevnar, Varicella (chickenpox), and Hib/Hep B (that's Comvax, I think). They wait until 15 months for MMR. My vaccination card shows at least 12-15 months is ok for all of these (up to 18 months for Varicella), so it seems it should be fine to wait until 15 months. I did like getting these at 12 months, though, cause I think all we will have at 15 months is MMR, which seems like it is "the big one" in terms of worry about reactions (I could be wrong, that's just my impression).

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

dogmom
12-16-2003, 08:22 PM
If your interested here is the link to the CDC web site that has the schedule, which is given in RANGES. You have to download the schedule as a PDF file. In fact further down is a "catch up" schedule is a vaccine is delayed, maybe you could print it out for them. ;)

http://www.cdc.gov/nip/recs/child-schedule.htm#Printabl

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03

P.S.-not a doctor, but thought you might like the information.

sntm
12-17-2003, 10:18 AM
That should be okay. There is a lot of pertussis (whooping cough) going around in our area lately, and supposedly in Colorado also which may be confounding the flu deaths. I would be less likely to delay that one.

Prevnar is for pneumococcus, important but not urgent. Comvax is Hib (also known as H. flu, but it isn't the one that causes the flu -- mostly for meningitis) and Hepatitis B. The Hep B should not be a threat at this age unless she gets a blood exposure.

CDC site that Jeanne should be a good resource.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

Marisa6826
12-17-2003, 12:00 PM
Jeanne - Thanks for the little spreadsheet!

Shannon-I dug out Sophie's little shot book. This is what she's had to date:

Three shots of DaPT
Two shots of IPV
Two shots of Comvax
Three shots of Prevnar

Now that I've looked at that sheet, I don't know what all the hoopla was about in getting Sophie the shots immediately after 12m.

Thanks again

-m