PDA

View Full Version : WHY OH WHY IS TRISTAN SO THIRSTY???

NEVE and TRISTAN
12-17-2003, 09:18 AM
I need your help...
We've never had a problem with Tristan's sleeping. When he wakes we feed him his bottle and he has never needed any attention to go back to bed, he rotates his little body sideways when done and just returns to sleep.

Well about 10 days ago or so he started waking OFTEN, again fed and went back to sleep. This started to become 2 hours, and last night I am certain it was every hour. His bottles are refridgerated beside me in bed so I am able to grab one and cuddle him and feed him with not really a sleep loss.

It's not a full blown cry, but he most definelty wakes us and I would say it is a low sounding cry, the bottle ends it instantly.

So what on earth is going on???
Lori suspected he could be so active during the day that he doesn't get the intake he needs and then does this at night. And that could be. At night he takes about 2 ounces at a time.

History-has had a cold twice in his lifetime, once was when I first tried to get him to his crib, sniffles for two days and that was a good 4 months ago I would say. He had a cold several weeks ago that left him symptomatic over several days. Teething -YES but they don't seem to bother him, two bottoms, a top one that is not a center tooth and a bottom one to the side growing in.. Foods he eats way more than I'd ever have thought (solids).

When he wakes in the morning he is as happy as can be, he just woke at 7:50 (normal for him) and is very very active chasing dogs and cats.

He has maybe been given Motrin or Tylenol 7 times in his life (including shots) he just never seems to be in any real discomfort to use it. We figure he dran 24 ounces in 9 hours during the night last night.

What can this be,
Neve
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

amp
12-17-2003, 11:07 AM
My first guess is that his intake need is increasing but that he's making up for it at night rather than during the day. When you feed him during the day, does he usually finish the bottle? If so, I'd increase the number of ounces by an ounce or two each bottle and see if that helps. Or, offer an extra bottle or two during the day and see if he'll take it. Another idea, although I have trouble doing this myself, is to wake him and feed him before you go to sleep and see if that helps him sleep longer. This one hasn't really been very successful in our case, as the waking is just so disruptive to him. Good luck!

daisymommy
12-17-2003, 12:00 PM
I totally agree with Andrea. I will also add that sometimes babies have something bothering them (tummy ache, tooth pain, etc.) and they wake up uncomfortable or pain, and the bottle soothes them enough to forget about the real problem. Joshua always wanted a cold drink when he was teething, I think it felt good on his gums. Tristan may also be going through a growth spurt. Good Luck and sweet dreams :)