PDA

View Full Version : Need sources for a dog theme birthday cake

nitaghei
12-17-2003, 10:34 AM
Anyone has any ideas - books or URLs - where I can get ideas to decorate DS's birthday cake ? Either a dog shape or a dog theme. I can handle basic decorating- I have a few icing tips etc.

My current idea is a rectangular cake, with the decorations to look like a show ring, and to have cut-outs of cockers and PWDs. I was thinking of doing a white chocolate lattice to look like a gated show ring, green icing for grass, and use my cocker and PWD cookie cutters to make the dog shapes. Might be too ambitious, though! :)

Any other ideas?

TIA

Nita
mom to Neel 01/05/03
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

NEVE and TRISTAN
12-17-2003, 10:50 AM
Nita,
This doesn't totally answer your question but is real adorable. At our local big Lots they have inexpensive dog cards, used in a game to "match and remember" where you saw the card. It has many adorable dogs dressed as characters. It is called DAWG BUDDIES and they are adorable, maybe you can use them in some fashion for decoration or ideas!
Neve
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

bunnisa
12-17-2003, 11:36 AM
Your idea sounds so cute! Another idea, although you've probably already thought of this, would be to make a dog house shaped cake, and draw a dog in the entrance with icing. It would be really easy to make 2 square cakes, and cut one to be the roof.

Let me know what you end up doing! I'm considering a dog theme party for Wilkes' first birthday and I'd love to hear your other ideas. :)

Bethany
It's a Boy!
William Eric (Wilkes)
6/16/03

Piglet
12-17-2003, 12:33 PM
What about Blue's Clues? We did a BC party this year for DS's 2nd birthday. If you do a search for Blue's Clues you will find a lot of dog-inspired ideas. Here is the site for the show:

http://www.nickjr.com/party/party_packs/blue/index.jhtml

nitaghei
12-17-2003, 02:34 PM
Thanks! I don't watch TV, and I'm not familiar with Blue's Clues. But he really looks like a cocker (okay - so cockers aren't blue)- big ears and a little tail. Do you know if that's the case? I could use the template for the cake - just make it into a parti-colored cocker!

Nita
mom to Neel 01/05/03

nitaghei
12-17-2003, 02:37 PM
Thanks Neve! I don't have a Big Lots anywhere close by, :(

Nita
mom to Neel 01/05/03

nitaghei
12-17-2003, 02:40 PM
I'll let you know. I have ethical issues about a dog-house cake ;-) - even though it would be cute. Dogs belong in the house as part of the pack . . . . Husbands, OTOH . . . (but that's for the B*tching Post).

Nita
mom to Neel 01/05/03

Jen in Chicago
12-17-2003, 02:48 PM
I admit, I enjoy doing simple projects. What about cutting a cake into the shape of a bone and decorating it with chocolate frosting? You could serve it in plastic "dog dish like" bowls that the kids could take home. If you really wanted to get crazy, you could serve it without silverware on the floor.

Look around for Snoopy, Clifford and or Blues Clues things for dog accents.

Another idea would be to give tennis balls as favors. Kids love balls!

Food serving idea.... you could serve snacks in dog bowls.

I have seen dog bone cookie cutters that you could use to cut out finger sandwiches if you are making a meal.

Hope this helps! Enjoy the party.

nitaghei
12-17-2003, 02:56 PM
Actually, we really aren't having a party - just family and a couple of friends. But I still want to do a cool cake! I might use some of your great ideas for day care though.

And - do I dare admit it?? - I actually own a dog bone cookie cutter; and one shaped like a fire hydrant as well. And my Christmas cookie frenzy includes baking 2 kinds of dog cookies.

Nita
mom to Neel 01/05/03

Momof3Labs
12-17-2003, 09:55 PM
Nita, it doesn't sound as cool as your cake idea, but somewhere I have a pattern for a Snoopy-type dog cake (shaped like a dog and very cute). If you are interested, I can look for it and send it to you!

jubilee
12-18-2003, 12:57 AM
LOL! I haven't even found time to make people cookies, let alone dog cookies! :)

nitaghei
12-18-2003, 10:30 AM
Thanks Lori!! I found the template for the Blue cake - which really does look more like a cocker than Snoopy - and I think I can handle the decoration. So this time I won't have to impose on your kindness!

Now I just have to decide between the show ring cake and the cocker/Blue cake.

Nita
mom to Neel 01/05/03

MamaKath
12-18-2003, 10:45 AM
I would go to your local craft (Michael's maybe) store to see what neat things they have.

I just wanted to say that I can't believe Neel is going to be ONE YEAR OLD already!!!! Time really flies, I remember you posting that he had arrived. His birthday was my grandpa's birthday as well. Grandpa was one of the greatest men you could ever know, so I know your little guy will grow up to be amazing (;-) that and with you as his mama!).

Hugs to you,