PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Baby Bargains group in your home town?

mom2kandj
12-17-2003, 12:19 PM
Jumping off Neve's WELCOME thread, I thought we could post any info that we have regarding local Baby Bargains groups, when they meet, and where they post their info so that everyone could see how organized we've all gotten! LOL! I *expect* to hear from Chicago, Florida, Boston, DC, Colorado, Georgia, and everyone else that I've heard about and seen their pics! :) That being said, I guess I'll go first!

Baby Bargains SoCal was created by/for people from Southern California who have met while posting on the Baby Bargains Bulletin Boards. Our goal is to have fun while meeting our BB friends offline. We now have 20 members from Thousand Oaks down to San Diego. Familiar faces include: luvbeinmama, deborah r, zen bliss, ddowning, melanie, dcclerk, nancy j, jeanmick, kmommie, tondi, and s7714. We like to meet monthly, but December has been crazy! :) We've been to Disneyland(Oct) and the LA Zoo(Nov). We would love to see some new faces, too! Here's a link to our Yahoo group!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/babybargainssocal/

& yes, I've attached a picture so that you can see how *normal* we are! LOL! :)

Rose
mom 2 Katie (almost 3!)
& Jack (19 months)

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/1652.jpg

kfcboston
12-17-2003, 01:35 PM
What a GREAT set-up!! I love how it's so organized and inviting!! I know there have been at least a couple Mass. get-togethers, but I haven't managed to catch-up with one.........

I hope more folks reply to this thread! I'd love to see what's going on from coast to coast. The internet is an incredible thing.

TaChapm2
12-17-2003, 02:02 PM
I am trying to find a group in the Austin, TX area. Sounds like a lot of fun and DS is to the age where he is really starting to want interaction with other children. Hope to find something soon!

Tara
Mommy to Jackson (11-10-02)

jec2
12-17-2003, 02:47 PM
maybe we should have a forum here for that. MDC has a "find your tribe" forum that directs people to others in a specific locale. I can post this in the "suggestions" forum and see if the Fields will set up a forum for this. well, baby is fussing, so I'll try and do it later today. go ahead somebody and post that if you'd like.

mharling
12-17-2003, 03:08 PM
I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but we are currently having a discussion in the Chicago group about how we want to handle this. The opinion so far is that we are not comfortable advertising our group here due to safety and privacy concerns. Our discussion is not final, but in case someone is from Chicago and wondering, I wanted to post this.

We are most certainly a welcoming group. We just want to be certain about who we are welcoming, kwim? :) More later....

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osnt.jsp?i=67b0de21b356c32425b2 - Halloween Pics!

jennifer13
12-17-2003, 04:15 PM
Hmmm...I hope you can think of a way to do it, because I didn't even know there was a Chicago group, and I would love to get together. I am in need of friends with kids! I completely understand the safety issues though.

Jennifer
Mom to Norah 5/23/03

alexsmommy
12-17-2003, 04:44 PM
I agree with Jennifer, but understand your concerns. I am also in need of friends with young children who understand that a trip to Oakbrook Mall cannot be a 6 hour adventure - and who aren't offended if illness requires last minute cancellations. I wish I had suggestions - but I have also been lurking and watching some pretty negative people post and to be honest, it has both kept me from posting and responding at times. I can understand why you want to be careful to keep something that is clearly positive for its members free from negativity. I hope you guys figure something out.

Alaina - Mom to Alex 2-4-03 (born at 32 weeks)

lmintzer
12-17-2003, 05:29 PM
I didn't know there was a Chicago group either. I have a 2 1/2 year old and a 1 month-old, so I probably won't be up for any Oakbrook or Water Tower trips any time too soon. But maybe by spring or summer. . . I'd certainly be interested in hearing more about a Chicago conglomerate.

There have been a lot of negative posts lately. But I wonder if those who expending their energy being so negative would really bother making the effort to get together. It's easy to be cowardly and post less-than-supportive things on an anonymous message board. It's much more work and takes a lot more guts to cause problems in person. Just my thoughts.

Lisa
& Jack, 4/20/02
& Joshua, 11/16/03

mom2kandj
12-17-2003, 05:51 PM
If you are not comfortable with posting your group's location, what about posting some general info and then PMing those interested? I just thought that there are a lot of folks out there who would like to *see* where BB groups are located.

I am the owner of the SoCal group (and another for my church) and I would not hesitate in closing membership should I ever feel like our safety is compromised. I do have members in both groups who never list their names or those of their kids. We *know* who they are and refer to them accordingly. I've also had to warn then ban a few members from the other group as people joined who had no idea what that group was about! HTH!

Rose
mom 2 Katie (almost 3!)
& Jack (19 months)

amp
12-17-2003, 06:50 PM
I agree that it's great to let other mom's know that there are groups of us in various cities, whether we are very organized about meeting or not. I also agree that safety is of the utmost importance and listing many details about meetings is probably not a great thing. I don't think it's a bad thing to post that such a group exists and let other letgitimately interested moms know, but just be wary of anyone suspicious. That said...

there are a few of us in the KC Kansas area. We don't have any particular meeting schedule, but have met & hope to do so again. If anyone is from the area & is interested, feel free to email or pm me.

mharling
12-17-2003, 07:18 PM
I don't disagree with the intent of your post whatsoever. We're just trying to balance sharing information vs. respecting all of our safety concerns. At any rate, it looks we'll have some fun, new members after this. :) Thanks!

Mary & Lane 4/6/03

khakismom
12-17-2003, 07:56 PM
Of course, don't leave out the Kansas City, Missouri people--since of course, that's where the city really is! LOL! :) Let's just say Kansas City area since that encompasses so much... :)

pale_ale
12-19-2003, 01:44 PM
I tried following the Chicago comments in the thread. Did anyone decide how those of us legitimate moms in Chicago can get in touch with others? I would just love to join a BB group - I have 2 small ones and would love the opportunity to expand my circle, meet new people, have fun, etc. If there hasn't been a decision, then I'll just watch for folks to post about it. No rush -- it's cold outside, hard to get together right now anyway!!

PS -- I tried to post to the "de-lurk" thread -- it wouldn't load, so, by way of introduction - I'm Becky, mama to Shelby 09/19/02 & Sydney 10/16/03. I'm on maternity leave, considering a transition to becoming a SAHM starting in January...and I'm filled with trepidation about it, but at the same time I'm so excited. I'm also psyched about my recent purchase of a MBUD (some of you may have seen my question about "wheelbase" a couple of days ago), and I love,love to bargain shop for my kids - even more fun than shopping for myself! I have a list of New Year's resolutions around working out post-baby (I have a friend who has an exercise video in the works for a workout WITH kids), keeping my scrapbook up to date, and reading up on one topic or book per month that doesn't have anything to do with babies, motherhood, cooking, cleaning, or pop culture, just to make sure I expand my horizons in all directions :)

Also -- not to breed a discussion around negative folks, but does anyone feel comfortable sending me a message letting me know what some of the examples of the negative posts are/some of the topics? I haven't seen them, would just like to know for future reference - I don't think I would ever knowingly post anything that anyone would view as negative/unsupportive, but I'd like to get a feel for the culture on the board...?

marinkitty
12-19-2003, 03:20 PM
Hi. I'm another Chicago mom without many friends with kids and would definitely be up for outings with BBB moms and babies. I completely respect the privacy/safety issues, but it looks like there are already a number of other interested Chicago moms, so if you figure out a way to let us know that would be great!

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03)

joannect
12-19-2003, 03:49 PM
Rose,

Thank you soooo much! I did not even know that a So.Cal. group existed. I just signed up! Great pics by the way, looks like you guys have fun!

Thanks and I hope to talk/meet some/all of you soon!

Joanne

alexsmommy
12-19-2003, 06:42 PM
Let's see if any other Chicago Mom's keep commenting that they want to get together. We may have enough to start a second "chapter" of the Chicago BBB. I completely respect the other groups concerns, but would love to meet other mom's in my area. Like you said, right now it's cold and for me at least, crazy from the holidays. Maybe sometime in January we could re-post asking if there are Chicago Mom's who'd like to start a group...
As far as the posts, I truly did not dwell on them, but the jist was someone would post looking for support, and rather than support, constructive suggestions or empathy, someone would make a negative comment, or respond in a less than helpful or respectful way. I have no problem with people having different opinions, but some posters we're somewhat judgmental or hurtful. I see no reason for that and it may me kind of post shy. I appreciate constructive critism, but not judgment or unkindness.

mharling
12-19-2003, 07:59 PM
Alaina -
I just sent you an e-mail. :)

Mary & Lane 4/6/03

mharling
12-19-2003, 08:10 PM
Check your e-mail. :)

Mary & Lane 4/6/03

Roleysmom
12-20-2003, 12:55 AM
Mary,

I PMed you.

Paula - mom to Roley Julia 01-04-02

NEVE and TRISTAN
12-20-2003, 11:19 AM
I can be reached at [email protected]

We have a nice sized group...a great group!!!
Neve
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

jesseandgrace
12-20-2003, 11:58 AM
Is there a Mass/Boston group? It doesn't sound like it. Anyone interested can e-mail me or post!

Jennifer

LD92599
12-20-2003, 03:08 PM
Any groups in Northern New Jersey?!? A few of us did get together awhile back, but I'm sure there's got to be some new NJ members out there (Paramus, etc area).

Laura
mom to William

wdland45
12-20-2003, 05:30 PM
I'd be interested in a North Jersey group as well!

Danielle, Mom to Alex, 12.03.01 and Brian, 7.27.03

em_jon98
12-20-2003, 05:43 PM
Lindsey and I would love to be a part of any furture Chicago gatherings.

mharling
12-20-2003, 06:52 PM
Emily -
Check your e-mail. :)

Mary & Lane 4/6/03

lmintzer
12-20-2003, 07:46 PM
I'd be interested in a Chicago group. Thanks for any info.

Lisa
& Jack, 4/20/01
& Joshua, 11/16/03

SeekerMage
12-20-2003, 08:13 PM
Im a chicago mom too! Sheesh you would think that I would know about more chicago people on here Ive been posting long enough...must be mommy brain...didnt know there were so many chicago people around hehehehe :)

jesseandgrace
12-20-2003, 08:55 PM
Anyone interested?

mattysmom
12-20-2003, 09:35 PM
I emailed you about the Boston group!
Thanks!!

jojo2324
12-20-2003, 09:49 PM
I'm jealous of how many of you are close together!!! Don't suppose anybody here is on Eastern Long Island??

mharling
12-21-2003, 12:32 AM
Lisa & Kathryn -
I sent you both an e-mail a couple of days a go. If you didn't get it, let me know. If there's anyone else here from Chicago, please PM or e-mail me.

*Edited to say I think I actually sent you a private message rather than an e-mail. I can't remember for sure, so check both! :)

Mary & Lane 4/6/03

mharling
12-21-2003, 12:39 AM
Holly -
I just sent you an e-mail to join.

Mary & Lane 4/6/03

mharling
12-21-2003, 12:41 AM
Ok, here's the scoop on the Chicago group. To join, you must have been a registered member here for 60 days and have 25 posts. If you are interested in joining, please e-mail or PM me. I think I have caught up with all the requests so far, so if you asked about joining, please check your e-mail for more information. Thanks!

Mary & Lane 4/6/03

Mom to Brandon and 2 cats
12-21-2003, 10:06 PM
I think this is the coolest idea! Is there a similar group for Northern California? I would love to be a part of that....

Currently, I'm on leave for one-year maternity, but planning to be a SAHM. Unfortunately, there aren't that many other SAHM's that I've met in this area - probably because the cost of living is so high here! I would love to meet other moms who have "given up" an old career (I was an an engineer before) for a new and better career!

--Jennifer

luvbeinmama
12-22-2003, 01:14 AM
I don't think there is an official group yet, BUT there are a couple moms in the SF Bay area. Keep an eye out for them. Brubeck is one, she has 2 kids, and I know there are a couple more, but my mommy brain is forgetting who they are right now.

parkersmama
12-22-2003, 11:08 AM
There is also an Atlanta/Georgia area group. We've only met once but keep in touch through email and are planning upcoming get togethers! Also wanting to keep things safe, we don't post details of meetings here on the boards, only on our Yahoo group. Here's the link to join for anyone living in the area:

[email protected]

alexsmommy
12-23-2003, 10:22 AM
Sorry - I rarely can get to the boards unless I'm at work! I'm checking now...

alexsmommy
12-23-2003, 10:34 AM
For some reason it did not go through - I am on the phone with Lisa Mintzer and we can't figure out what's wrong - you can email me at [email protected]. Thanks!

gour0
12-23-2003, 04:18 PM
We're trying to meet up on Monday. If anyone is interested come join the yahoo group discussion.