PDA

View Full Version : A side note to thread of kitchen proofing

JulieL
12-17-2003, 02:45 PM
Something that just came to mind as I was thinking about our kitchen was this: Our stove is a gas stove and is an older model. I bought those plastic gaurds to shove behind the knobs that work the stove top, just to find out they didn't fit. My DH was in the kitchen w/our 21 month old DS to find that he (DS) had turned on the gas, but not the flame. This can be VERY deadly to have the gases in the air, especially our little 1200 sq ft apartment. I see that a ton of newer stoves have the knobs up high so little ones can't grab at them. That would be so nice to have, anyway just a message of caution to those with that type of stove.

Momof3Labs
12-17-2003, 09:54 PM
Note that you can usually remove the knobs when the stove isn't being used, and baby can't turn the stove on then! We also have a gas stove and I don't understand why they put the knobs in front!!

jubilee
12-18-2003, 12:33 AM
Thank you for commenting on this!! We have a gas stove and it also has front buttons and knobs- but they are not removable! This reminds me how I have to look at everything with the curious eyes of a child.

luvbeinmama
12-19-2003, 02:19 AM
Yes, mine get stashed up top. DS never really bothered with them much, but DD wants to play with them every time they are on. I think the reason they are not up like the electrics, is so you don't scorch your hand on the flame reaching for the knobs, especially in case of a flare-up you can turn the gas off without reaching over the flame.