PDA

View Full Version : Dr Karp on Dr Phil

s_gosney
12-17-2003, 06:03 PM
So Dr. Phil and the rest of the world learned the 5 S's today. Anyone else see it? Surely I'm not the only one who watches Dr Phil. They gave a free copy of the video to all the audience members. Here's to happy babies!

amp
12-17-2003, 06:14 PM
Yep. That's great that he had that on there. I know lots of people take issue with some of the stuff he says on there, and so have I in certain circumstances, but since Dr. Karp's book has been such a lifesaver for so many moms, it's great to get the word out there. And I was so glad that one lady was on there to get set straight that her "sensitive" kid was really just a whiner and a brat. When Dr. Phil asked her if she knew why he cried at everything, I answered with Dr. Phil, "because it WORKS!" No doubt!

lisaE
12-17-2003, 07:27 PM
He was awesome. I only wished he would have been on longer!

Lisa

NEVE and TRISTAN
12-17-2003, 11:44 PM
What does that mean "the five S's"...I'm lost...if this comes out again will you let us all know...I never watch Dr P but if you all say this was a good one I'd love to see it!!!
Neve
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

pritchettzoo
12-17-2003, 11:54 PM
Dr. Karp's method involves 5 steps:
Swaddling
Side position
Shushing
Swinging
Sucking

HTH!
Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

daisymommy
12-17-2003, 11:57 PM
I think I would have just crawled under a rock and died when Josh was colicky if it weren't for Dr. Harvey Karp--author of "Happiest Baby on the Block. I have the book and video (because when your child is screaming, who has tiem to read an entire book for answers?!) It's only for babies under 4 months though. The 4 S's are:

-Swinging
-Shhhsh 'ing (as in white noise)
-Sucking
-Swaddling
-Side or stomach postion

When used correctly (and even better when used all together), these tricks of the trade really do help fussy colicky babies!

MamaKath
12-18-2003, 11:09 AM
** And I was so glad that one lady was on there to get set straight that her "sensitive" kid was really just a whiner and a brat. When Dr. Phil asked her if she knew why he cried at everything, I answered with Dr. Phil, "because it WORKS!" No doubt! **

Funny, the part of the mom with the sensitive child left me angry. I usually like Dr. Phill, but having a child that is truly sensitive to many things (she doesn't cry constantly like the child in the video or act like "just a whiner and a brat" ) I felt for parents who have kids like mine, and just basically got told to ignore it! I must say for the mom of a spirited child, Dr. Phil came up cold on this one.

Edited to add- I do agree that the particular instance they used the child was crying for attention, but I *know* that many kids really are "spirited" and that should have been addressed, along with how better to deal with them.

amp
12-18-2003, 11:36 AM
Kath - Totally understood! I don't mean to offend for someone who has a child who *is* sensitive. I just don't think that was the case in this instance. Sorry if I stepped on your toes!

MamaKath
12-18-2003, 11:59 AM
Not at all Andrea! I just thought it was funny how the take could be so different. I do agree their kid probably wasn't as sensitive as they thought, but I also felt he should have given tips to folks who kids are.

There were a couple other things that bothered me about yesterdays show, and part of it is probably just parenting styles bring out the best and worst in many folks, eh? Lol!

kapow
12-18-2003, 12:05 PM
That book should be designated a national treasure. DS wasn't colicky but I just didn't know how to soothe him - I had no experience with babies prior to him. The book helped me so much, I plan to give a copy to all of my friends as they get pregnant.

Don't you think that instead of a book, though, the essense of the book could have been printed on a bookmark? I never really read the entire first half, I just went right to the 5 S's. It's one book that can be easily summed up in 500 words or less.