PDA

View Full Version : OPRAH in Africa

NEVE and TRISTAN
12-17-2003, 11:25 PM
She is amazing...gosh I wish I had the money to do what she is doing. She is on TV right now showing how she bought toys for children in Africa. TONS OF TOYS AND CLOTHES AND BOOKS!!!! ...and how these children will walk 12 miles just to get the smallest token. I started to cry when she was standing under a tent with all of these toys and she looked out and no one had come (it was early)...and she wondered are they coming???...and then tons and tons and tons of children started coming over the hill. they had walked and walked to get there. Man if that doesn't teach us to not stress over what is under the tree then I don't know what can.

Unfortunatly Diane Sawyer is interviewing her...and she is about as compassionate as a door knob!!!
Neve
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

lukkykatt
12-17-2003, 11:41 PM
I just saw your post, and put it on. Oprah is just the most caring person around - I really admire how she uses her fame to promote change. These stories are just amazing...and heartbreaking!

BTW, I don't mind Diane...except for the mega filter that she always has on her shots. It looks so ridiculous, especially for someone who is supposed to be concentrating on THE NEWS!! Just my pet peeve...

redhookmom
12-18-2003, 12:18 AM
I was watching and crying too. All while wraping Christmas gifts for my kids who already have enough. I wish I knew of a local family that I could secretly leave some gifts for.

I had sort of stopped watching Oprah this season because every time I put it on it was just some celebrity promoting their film. Maybe I have been missing the more interesting shows!

Jessica

sntm
12-18-2003, 10:36 AM
oh, i wish i had seen that! that's what i love best about oprah. it always irritates me when celebrities talk about their pet projects and encourage other people to send money to charity and do nothing themselves! she actually gets out there and makes a difference. i teared up just reading about that!

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

mrmansmom
12-18-2003, 12:57 PM
That show was so sad. I felt guilty for being born in America with more than ample food and clothing when there are so many without even the bare necessities. Being a new mother, the too short segment they did on children whose parents have died of AIDS was especially hard to watch. I had to lean over and give my sleeping DS A big kiss and tell him how wonderful he is (because the sight of the little boy begging on the busy street saying that he just wanted his mother back and that no one loved him was absolutely heartbreaking).

mharling
12-18-2003, 01:04 PM
Our airing schedule must be different because the Africa episode won't be on until Monday here. And I'm in Chicago! Go figure.

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osnt.jsp?i=67b0de21b356c32425b2 - Halloween Pics!

Annette_C
12-18-2003, 01:38 PM
Neve,
I was crying with you last night!
That story just broke my heart! I admired the fact that Oprah admitted to still remembering what it was like being dirt poor. Too many times, when people get to the top, they forget where they came from. I'm so glad she didn't!
Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

egoldber
12-18-2003, 03:29 PM
I think people are talking about the Primetime special that was on last night. We caught the tail end of the show, and they said that Oprah would start the series on her show beginning on Monday.

mharling
12-18-2003, 03:49 PM
Ah ha!! Big lightbulb. Thanks! :)

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osnt.jsp?i=67b0de21b356c32425b2 - Halloween Pics!

NEVE and TRISTAN
12-18-2003, 06:25 PM
Did you catch what she remember most and what made her decide that she has to do somehting to bring herself out of such a situation...
It was when her mome said "we don't have money there will not be presents this christmas..." Oprah said "what about Santa???" her mom replied "we do not have enough money to pay santa to bring gifts...don't ask again"...

So sad.
I can not stand Diane Sawyer...she grilled her about children here and why she helps those in Africa...she didn't seem to just ask for the sake she had to she seemed ready to judge...I am certain Oprah does tons for our kids here BUT she is right...it is illegal here to not have a child in school etc...it is illegal not to have a child in the "custody" of someone...she is right the two situations are not comparable. Here if you are poor and your child is run over your child will get the exact same care in the hospital as your rich neighbor...

So sad...I love Oprah!!!
Neve
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties