PDA

View Full Version : Family portrait --need help with clothing

cmyk
12-18-2003, 02:47 PM
My SIL has booked a session with a VERY good photographer while the family is together at Christmas. (My brother has graciously offered to pay the sitting fee!) It is for 4 children (15 mos girl, 24 mos girl, 5 yr old boy, 7 yr old girl). I'm looking for suggestions on how to dress the group, as well as my 15mo DD for her individual sitting. We'll have the opportunity to change her clothes for the individual photos.

Ideas for dressing the group? Obviously, we won't wear clashing outfits. But beyond that, I haven't a clue!!! I've come up with: Everyone wears an article of denim, or everyone wear khaki pants, or turtlenecks???

Ideas on very simple toddler dresses or outfits my 15 mo DD? I love April Cornell, and the petticoat style, but I checked their website and their selection is really limited in her size. I just bought an April Cornell dress in size 2, but it's much too big. Any other clothing manufacturers with classic styles?

Thanks!
Shelley

P.S. I promise to de-lurk and introduce myself in Neve's post...sorry I haven't had a chance to yet!

jec2
12-18-2003, 02:54 PM
What fun! I love nice photographs of groups in casual dress, e.g jeans and same colored shirts. It's casual and comfortable, which I think helps so that the personalities shine rather than the clothes.

etwahl
12-18-2003, 03:36 PM
we just got our professional pics back (i tried to scan but our scanner won't connect to the pc :( )

we all wore jeans and sweaters. dh wore a navy sweater, i wore a black sweater (which actually looks like they're both the same color in the pic) and dd wore a cardigan in a light burgundy color. it actually turned out MUCH better than i thought, because with her in the brighter color, she stood out from us, which was great. also, we were all in bare feet, which worked out great.

good luck!

ps: one other thing, my photographer said not to really wear a pattern, because she said it's too busy. i think solid colors work best.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

Jen in Chicago
12-18-2003, 04:28 PM
We did a family picture (30 people) and we did a combination of Khaki, white and denim. It turned out really well. We have friends that do this annually for their picture. It would be easy to find combinations of these colors for all sizes. You could even throw in the parents!

MinnieMouse
12-18-2003, 04:47 PM
I'm trying to plan a photo for dh's grandfather...with all the grandkids and our dd the only great grandkid.

I was thinking since in our case it is 5 different families worth of kids (i think it's 10 grandkids and dd), to have everyone in denim pants and then each family wear a different color top.

I wouldn't "dress" up though....especially with a group....and I've heard over and over not to wear white since it washes out the photo.

HTH

Christine

bunnisa
12-18-2003, 05:17 PM
We did a combination of khaki and white, and it turned out really nice (we had photos on the beach though). Jen in Chicago's idea of khaki, white & denim sounds like it would work well, too. And definitely go with bare feet!

Bethany
It's a Boy!
William Eric (Wilkes)
6/16/03

deenass
12-18-2003, 07:26 PM
We've done a few extended family pictures over the years, we've worn denim, khaki pants and different colored shirts (one family wore red, one yellow, one white, etc) and most recently white, black, denim & khaki (kids in white and denim, parents in black & denim, grandparents in khaki and black and great grandparents in white and khaki).

Stick with simple, it will make faces stand out and look more cohesive.