PDA

View Full Version : Calling all medical people for gift question

NancyJ_redo
12-18-2003, 05:34 PM
DH wants an otoscope (no idea how to spell - it's the thing you use to examine people's ears, nose, etc.) for home use, esp for DS. Any idea where I can buy one or order one? And how do I spell it properly in case I need to do a search online? Thanks!

ktdid74
12-18-2003, 05:52 PM
Hi Nancy-
I know I've seen them in scrubs catalogs I get. The easiest way would be to do a google search under nursing uniforms or medical/nursing equipment. I'm sorry I don't have specific places but this might be a way to start. HTH-

flagger
12-18-2003, 06:01 PM
Unless you are medically trained, I would never use an otoscope in the hands of a layman. It is pretty easy to cause damage to the ear if you are not familiar with its usage.

Sorry to be a killjoy.

NancyJ_redo
12-18-2003, 07:28 PM
DH is a doctor, so no worries there. Obviously he's a great source of info on where to buy one, but since I want to surprise him with it as an XMas present (I know, how romantic :( ), I don't want to ask him.

I agree with you though...and rest assured I have no intention of trying to figure the thing out myself.

Edited for spelling

heva
12-18-2003, 07:32 PM
I loved my pocket otoscope in med school (now as a surgeon, I NEVER look in people's ears...). Here's the best company:
http://www.welchallyn.com/medical/products/catalog/type.asp?ID=24244
Expensive, however. Sorry, I don't know of any other brands to recommend, but I'll bet you can find for cheaper than the company itself sells for...

Sandy
12-18-2003, 07:46 PM
If you have a local medical school near you they have them in the medical school bookstores. We got one at the UW medical bookstore.

HTH,
Sandy mom to Alexander Thor 3/16/02

NancyJ_redo
12-18-2003, 09:44 PM
Thank you all for your suggestions. Heather, after reading your post I checked out the link and the otoscope you suggested. The otoscope looked great and based on your recommendation I decided to get that one. It was $189 on the Welch Allyn website so I went searching. An auction for the exact same thing, brand new, on Ebay was just about to end. I bid and won...$73. Yeah!!

Again people on the boards totally came through for me. Thanks so much!!

mommd
12-18-2003, 11:42 PM
Glad you got a good deal on Ebay! For future reference, if you can't find it on Ebay, www.steeles.com is a good site with some decent discounts on medical equipment.

heva
12-19-2003, 12:14 AM
Wow - what a DEAL! Wish there had been eBay when I was in med school - I'm sure my otoscope/ophthalmoscope set was much more than that...