PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop Question

MommytoDylan
12-18-2003, 08:00 PM
Thanks for your help in advance! My question shows my ignorance...

I just got Photoshop 7 but have read people on the boards talking about Photoshop Elements. What is the difference?

I am interested in making my digital pictures look better and nothing else. Do I have the right program?

Any good books out there on Photoshop 7 for the newbie?

Thanks!

Meredith

nigele
12-18-2003, 08:47 PM
Hi Meredith,

Photoshop Elements is more for the amateur user. Here is the description from Adobe:

<Photoshop Elements 2.0 offers the perfect combination of power and simplicity so amateur photographers can create and edit images for print, e-mail, and the Web.>

You *may* find the full Photoshop to be too in-depth and complicated for your use if you only want to do basic touch-up on digital pics.

HTH!

McQ
12-18-2003, 09:19 PM
So Photoshop is an Adobe product! For some reason I thought it was by Microsoft. But when I was searching I got confused when I found it by Adobe and then Microsoft's Picture IT. Between Picture IT and Photoshop which one does everyone like better? I don't think the technical/complicated part (of Adobe) would be a problem for DH (this will be his birthday present) as he is pretty computer savvy and really likes messing around with this stuff. TIA!

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03

mamahill
12-18-2003, 09:57 PM
Being married to a graphic designer and residing in a strictly Mac household (our new G5 arrived today - woohoo!), DH wouldn't even DREAM of using a Microsoft photo problem (but I never said he wasn't a design snob).

As far as which one to use: Photoshop vs. Elements, I'd be inclined to say Elements, if you don't know Photoshop. My mom had photoshop 5 but then got a new computer and couldn't find her old program. Instead of buying a new Photoshop, DH suggested elements because it will handle your basic photo-editing needs, and at a fraction of the cost!

Photoshop 7 is really more for the user who is going to be doing a whole lotta technical stuff (DH swaps out heads and does stuff I didn't even KNOW programs can do). I'm comfortable doing the basics - resizing, cropping, adjusting levels, creating new layers, airbrushing, etc., and from what I understand, Elements would do all that.

Plus, I think it's bundled with Album, and that enables you to link codewords to files and store it in a database so you can go back and search for keywords (baby, birthday, etc.) and easily retrieve those pictures. For that capability alone we're considering getting that program since whichever one comes with Mac's Jaguar isn't as good.

nigele
12-18-2003, 10:33 PM
I bought Elements with Album a few days ago and so far, I LOVE them both. Album is awesome and I'm hoping it will finally help me get our digital pics organized. It also hooks into Shutterfly and you can share/order pics right from Album.

We have the full version of Photoshop and I just don't have the time to learn it. Elements is supposed to be much easier to learn and more user friendly. I *really* need to learn how to fix eyeglass glare as I have some great photos that are ruined because of the glare on Tom's glasses! :-(

BTW - Amazon and Adobe are both offering rebates on Elements packaged with Album. Together, the rebate is $50, making the final price $47.99. This is a great deal!

MommytoDylan
12-19-2003, 02:44 AM
Lisa,

Thanks so much for the tip! I bought it and will start with Elements and see where I go from there.

Meredith

CherylT
12-19-2003, 10:01 AM
I would definitely get Elements. I originally purchased Picture IT - what a waste of money. It crashed constantly and some features just wouldn't work. I tried to resolve it with Microsoft help desk, but they told me I needed to shrink my images down to 4X6 to use the program. I told them to forget it!! I was able to get my money back from them - Microsoft has a 30-day guarantee on all their software but they don't advertise it. I got Elements next and it is awesome. Does anything an amateur photographer would need to do and then tons more. Best of luck to you!

McQ
12-19-2003, 11:34 AM
Thanks Lisa. I just ordered this. And thank goodness it's not going to ship until after Christmas. I'd be too tempted to give it to DH early (his birthday is in a few weeks). I just get so giddy when I get him something I know he is going to love. Thanks!

Allison

nigele
12-19-2003, 01:22 PM
Meredith & Allison,

I'm glad you were able to order it! Do keep me posted and let me know how you like it when you get it.

I have been begging DH to buy Elements for me for a couple of months but once I noticed it came packaged with Album, and had the great rebates, I jumped on it and got it for DH for an early Christmas present - hee, hee! :-)

McQ
12-19-2003, 09:15 PM
Now what am I going to do!! DH came home today with a free copy of Album from Walmart. I'm not sure if it's the full blown version but the CD says Album 2.0 Starter Edition so I'm leaning to not. But then he was rambling on about how Photoshop is the gold standard yada yada yada. So I'm considering canceling my order and getting Photoshop and making do with the freebie Album. Argh! Just when you think it's all figured out!

Allison

snp624
12-19-2003, 10:35 PM
Hi Meredith,

I am repeating what everybody else here, but if you are just thinking about adjusting colors and lightness of digital pictures, I think Photoshop Elements might be easier---. I've been using Photoshop (full version) for long long time, because I am a graphic designer and I used it through college, then at work. I learned lots of cool things since I started working, but really, it might be little confusing at first. But if you like playing with a graphic program, this is great!

You probably know this already, but if you buy it through a college student, you can get it MUCH cheaper. I think this programs is rediculously expensive. About $600, I think. If you buy at student price, it's only $260 or so. It's exact same program. They don't ask you if you are a student or not when you register. I was a student when I bought this years ago, and my DH (boyfriend at the time) was going to buy it for me as a birthday present. We went to the college book store, and somehow, the pricetag from a book transfered to the Photoshop box. The guy at the register insisted that the Photoshop was $50! Okay, I pointed out that the price wasn't right, but I didn't fight him. He thought I was complaining that it was $50 was too expensive! Anyway, I've been upgrading it ever since. About $160 every 3 years or so isn't too bad, considering that full version was only $50!

If you decided to keep the Photoshop 7, have fun! This is a great program. If you have any questions, I can probably help, so just let me know!