PDA

View Full Version : Chicken Pox/ Rash ?

emilyf
12-20-2003, 02:24 PM
What would a chicken pox vaccine reaction look like? DS had his one year dr appt. on Monday-he was diagnosed with double ear infections-which he had almost no symptoms for except a cold the week before. The dr prescribed Amoxicillan. He also got his chicken pox vaccine (and mmr). On Wednesday and Thursday he had a fever-got pretty high Thurs. night but seemed fine by yesterday afternoon. This morning he woke up with a rash-small red bumps mainly on his scalp, face, torso and behind his ears. I had attributed the fever to his ear infection, but now with the rash I'm wondering if it's a reaction to the vaccine, or maybe to the Amoxicillan. I can't even get through to the answering service at my dr's today-I guess a lot of people are sick! and am just wondering if anyone had any ideas. He seems fine-good spirits, no fever, eating, drinking normally etc.
Emily \r\nmom of Charlie born 11/02

egoldber
12-20-2003, 03:40 PM
I would call your ped. There are so many things it could be, since so much happened in a short period of time. It could even be a completely unrelated viral infection, like roseola.

MinnieMouse
12-20-2003, 05:26 PM
WOW...I can't believe the ped gave him two vaccinations while he had a double ear infection serious enough for amoxicillan!!

Many peds feel it's okay to give a vax with a cold, but most won't for any illness more than that. Dh and I don't give any vax if dd is ill in any capacity...even a cold. I don't want her immune system defending itself on too many fronts.

From all I've read about vaccine reactions this could be any of the above. Dd had a "reaction" (although they say it's not an allergic reaction) to Augmentin that was similar...although they were spots not bumps. It could be mild measles as well....I would look up the symptoms for each and see what you can find.

If it is a reaction to MMR...you may want to be aware of it since there is supposed to be a booster before they start school.

HTH

Christine

heva
12-20-2003, 06:38 PM
I second Christine's thought of drug reaction. You're the second mom on the boards in two days who's posted about a rash after amoxicillin...very common. It should resolve on its own without meds, but you should probably try to see your ped if possible, to make sure its not something else.

lisams
12-20-2003, 07:00 PM
DD had a mild reaction to the chicken pox vaccine. She had a slight rash on her tummy and back, it was pink and slightly raised. She was also a little irritable and had a mild fever. The reaction occured 2 weeks after the vaccination and lasted for about 2 days. I would try and get ahold of you ped since it could be so many different things.

Good luck and I hope your little one os feeling better soon!
Lisa

emilyf
12-20-2003, 10:09 PM
Thanks gals- I did finally get the on call nurse who consulted with the on call doc. They couldn't really say for sure beyond what we already suspected. They want me to stop the Amoxicillan until Monday and talk to my dr then. I did some reading on my own though, and I actually think it might be roseola. Maybe not the most obvious suspect, but the high fever and then the rash the next day are typical of roseola (according to dr. sears). Christine, I did ask about giving the vaccines with his ear infection, and she didn't think it would be a problem. She didn't think it was that severe, and probably would have let it run its course w/out antibiotics if it wasn't flu season. Still, maybe I shouldn't have let her do them-too late now though!

alleyoop
12-21-2003, 10:49 AM
I am glad that your DS's rash wasn't a reaction to the MMR, but I will still post this info for anyone else:
My DS had a very bad reaction to the MMR (or as some smart mommy on this board informed me, it is really an attenuated version of measles, not a reaction). It came on at day 12 after the MMR and lasted 3 days, with another week or two for the rash to completely disappear.
My doc said that you should always check if the rash "blanches". Kind of like testing for a sunburn, if you press on the skin the rash should lighten or go away completely for a second. If it doesn't blanch then you should do something about it immediately. Otherwise... we did rotating Motrin and Benadryl until he was feeling better.

Attached are pics to help other parents

emilyf
12-21-2003, 07:24 PM
Heather, thanks so much for those pictures! His rash is much, much worse today (in spite of Benadryl) and looks a lot like that. I really thought it would be gone by today. I am obviously going to call my ped 1st thing in the morning to go in and see her. I thought about trying to get him seen today, but didn't want to subject him to the germs of a clinic/er. One quick question if you happen to see this-was his rash itchy at all? Ds's is not-

nigele
12-21-2003, 08:16 PM
Emily,

My DS broke out in a rash days after his varicella vaccine and it turned out to be roseola. (High fever for a few days then a rash 24 hours later.) Good luck and let us know what the ped says!

alleyoop
12-22-2003, 12:06 PM
It started out not being itchy, but by day three I could see that it itched him behind his ears and on his neck. The Benedryl won't make it look any better... just helped with the itching. Good Luck!

emilyf
12-22-2003, 03:37 PM
Well my dr is on vacation this week, of course! So I talked to the nurse-who I have dealt with before and is very nice. She felt that it was unikely to be the amoxicillan, since that type of reaction would probably be more raised and hive like. She is leaning toward a vaccine reaction, although honestly I still think it is roseola. Anyway, she was going to run it by the other dr in the practice, but didn't think I needed to bring him in since in either case there is nothing they can do except let it run it's course. He looks a bit better today, although I am stuck inside and have to run some holiday errands-there is no way I am taking him out looking like this unless I wanted to go Michael Jackson and put a veil or creepy mask on him! So, if he's not substantially better she wants to see him tomorrow before Christmas, hopefully he will be better and won't scare all the relatives on Wednesday and Thursday. Thanks again for the suggestions and support this weekend!