PDA

View Full Version : Maybe I should just amputate my pinky...

s_gosney
12-20-2003, 05:45 PM
If it wouldn't rot and get disgusting, I might actually consider it. :) Kylee doesn't get the concept of a passifier, but she loves to suck on my pinky. Now, I appreciate being able to soothe my baby and make her happy, but sometimes this habit just isn't really practical. Besides both hands being occupied all the time, there are times when it's more of a concern. For instance, when I'm out shopping and she gets fussy, I hate to think what extra things are all over my finger.
So, along these lines, I have a few questions...
1) Is it safe to put hand sanitizer on and then let her suck on my finger? I'm not really sure what chemicals are in that stuff, so I was just wondering...
2) So far, we've tried 3 brands of passifiers all with different shapes. Do we just keep trying more until we find one she likes? She just keeps pushing them out with her tongue, I think. Somehow it just won't stay in. Even when I hold it in for a little while, as soon as I let go, it pops out. I just don't get why she sucks so good on my finger (she attatches so well that sometimes I wonder if I'm going to get my finger back), but she won't do the same with the passifier.
I don't really want her attatched to a passifier, but since she apparently wants to suck ALL the time I really need her to use one at least some of the time so that others (close family) can hold her for more than a couple of minutes over the holidays and at daycare when she starts in spring.

On a totally unrelated topic, let me just say that I can't believe she'll be two months old tomorrow. The first month was possibly the longest month of my life, but the second one has flown by.
And for those of you who have stuck with me this long, here's a special treat...a pic from when kylee met santa. He was at the portrait studio when we went to get pics taken, so no long lines. Thank goodness.
Sorry this is so long. I've been sitting at home most of everyday for the last two weeks since my classes have ended and I'm going nuts so I write long rambly posts.

pritchettzoo
12-20-2003, 06:32 PM
What a sweet picture!

DD hated the pacifiers for newborns. We tried a 6 month size and it was a big hit. Maybe a larger pacifier would better imitate your pinky? Also, you can try tugging on the pacifier to get her used to sucking harder on it to keep it in her mouth. I think Dr. Karp has a section in his book on this.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

jojo2324
12-20-2003, 07:30 PM
Sherri, sad to report that DS never took a paci, no matter what shape, size, form, etc. He wouldn't even take my pinky! We BF'd, so much of the time it was feeding time, comfort time, comfort time, feeding time.

LOL, sometimes he'll find an old pacifier in his toy bin and start sucking on it. NOW he gets it, at 18 months old! :)

And your baby is gorgeous!! I can't believe how alert she is on her birthday.

s_gosney
12-20-2003, 11:50 PM
A- My fingers are probably among the skinniest known to man, so what I really need is a very narrow, long pacifier. And if I tug on it, it just comes out. She really doesn't get going good enough for that to work.

J- That's too funny that gannon decides to like the paci now. Isn't that just typical of kids though? So, if he never took a paci, would he ever take a bottle? We haven't given her a bottle more than a few times and I'm worried about this. I really have got to get on the ball with bottle training or else I'll be running to daycare between classes next semester to nurse.

And thank you both for the sweet comments. Everyone has said from the beginning that she doesn't look like a newborn with all her hair and the wide eyes.

kapow
12-21-2003, 10:55 AM
Ian never liked a pacifier either, and preferred our fingers and knuckles. I did use hand sanitizer and even baby wipes in a pinch to clean my hands. After three months he didn't need that from us, and instead sucks his own fingers and thumbs - but still no pacifier!

Your picture is adorable :)