PDA

View Full Version : Looking for kick butt shortbread recipe

jojo2324
12-20-2003, 06:17 PM
Walker's is 'spensive, and I LOVE shortbread. But butter is pricey too...so I can't afford to make loads of different recipes to figure out which is best. Anybody out there with a surefire winner? :9

pritchettzoo
12-20-2003, 06:29 PM
I made this recipe last year (from Martha Stewart), and it was a big hit. Everyone asked for the recipe. DH and I kept sneaking bars, and I had to make a ridiculous number of batches. Here's the link to the webpage so you can see the "finished product" if you want to: http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?type=content&id=recipe1261

I remember reading something or seeing something on a cooking show that said using "European Butter" or the extra-creamy Land O' Lakes stuff made shortbread and butter cookies even better. I used the regular stuff and it was rich; I have never tried it with the extra creamy.

Basic Shortbread

Makes 36 bars
This buttery cookie gets better with age: It can be stored up to a month, and over that time its flavor deepens. Dip the tips of the cookies in melted chocolate for a decorative touch.

1 1/3 cups (2 sticks plus 6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pans
2/3 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour

1. Preheat oven to 275°. Butter a 9-by-13-by-1-inch baking pan, and line bottom with parchment paper. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add salt and vanilla, and beat to combine. Add flour, 1 cup at a time, beating on low speed until just combined.

2. Press dough into prepared pan, leveling and smoothing the top. Using a dough scraper or the back of a knife, cut dough lengthwise into nine strips slightly less than 1 inch wide. Cut the strips crosswise into thirty-six 3-inch bars. Using the tines of a fork or a wooden skewer, create a decorative pattern on the surface.

3. Bake shortbread until evenly pale golden, but not browned, 70 to 85 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack to cool. Invert pan, and remove parchment. Turn shortbread over, and carefully break, or cut with a serrated knife, into bars. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 month.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

NEVE and TRISTAN
12-20-2003, 08:21 PM
JoJo about two weeks ago I posted a potato chip cookie recipe...a family favorite for the holidays. It really is "short bread"...I know I know it sounds awful but I'd bet anything you would like them!!!...use the thin regular non glamerous chips...

Neve
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

Sheila
12-20-2003, 08:32 PM
From the basic Betty Crocker cookbook. The recipe sounds like nothing special when you read it, but all my friends and family go crazy for these. I make them for just about every holiday and occasion.

1 1/2 cups butter, softened (3 sticks)
1/2 cup sugar
4 cups flour

Cream together butter and sugar. Gradually stir in flour. Roll out (or just pound down, I never bother w/ the rolling pin) to about 1/2 inch thickness. Cut out cookies using mini cookie cutters. Decorate with colored sugars and place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in preheated 350 oven for about 20 mins, or until set (you can leave them in a bit longer and make them slightly browned if you prefer them that way).

These are great to make ahead of time. Pop them in the freezer and take out what you need as you need it.

Good luck and merry Christmas!
Sheila
________
Yamaha fjr1300 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Yamaha_FJR1300)

nigele
12-20-2003, 08:49 PM
I make Martha's shortbread every year and it is delicious!!! I actually made two batches today and when I went to pop it in the oven, I discovered my oven died! I had to bake at a friend's house. Anyway, the shortbread came out terrific once again. I bake it in a round cake pan and cut it into wedges. It couldn't be easier!