PDA

View Full Version : Book Recommendations for fussy/crying babies, establishing routines, etc.

berob
12-20-2003, 10:51 PM
My wife and I have a 4-week old. We've heard the importance of getting him into a routine and as well as tips on dealing with his fussiness. Several books have been mentioned - Baby Wise, Your Fussy Baby, Secrets of the Baby Whisperer, etc. I'm wondering if anyone here can offer their own recommendations and/or opinions of these books or others. Also, it would be helpful if you could briefly describe the primary focus of each of these books or at least the book you recommend. Thanks so much for your help.

duein june2003
12-20-2003, 11:06 PM
My 7 month old was a poster child for fussiness. But, 4 weeks is a bit too early to start trying to schedule. Most books would agree with that. I have some of the books that you mentioned, but the best ones FOR ME are:
The Happiest Baby on the Block by Harvey Karp, MD
Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Marc Weissbluth, MD

The Karp book will get you through the next 2 months (the 5 S's are wonderful!), then you can read and devour the Weissbluth book. Karp's philosophy is that babies get kicked out of the uterus 12 weeks too early (they need a 4th trimester...) and if you keep things as womb-like as possible, then your baby will be a happy baby. It worked wonders at our home! Things get easier when your baby is 3-4 months old- I promise! The Weissbluth book has made our life so much easier- once you realize that your child needs naps and good sleep at night, you'll have much better quality time with him when he's awake!
Good luck!
Ruth, Mom to Cole, 5/21/03

Momof3Labs
12-20-2003, 11:28 PM
ITA with the Happiest Baby on the Block - it's the only book you need right now! Nice, gentle, non-controversial ways for soothing a newborn - it really can't be beat.

parkersmama
12-20-2003, 11:36 PM
Gotta "third" The Happiest Baby on the Block!! It is an *excellent* book! I loved it so much with my third (extremely happy!) child that I wish so much I'd had it with the first two. :)

jubilee
12-20-2003, 11:41 PM
I have really been impressed with the Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Marc Weissbluth, MD. He knows his stuff about baby's sleep. And sleep is such a huge part of a baby's day, that I think it is worth a read.

kapow
12-21-2003, 11:17 AM
I've read those books and many more, and my conclusion is that it's not "important" to get a baby on any schedule. Instead, you should focus on comforting and being there for your baby when he needs you, regardless of the time of day or night. Harvey Karp's "Happiest Baby on the Block" is fantastic for telling you ways of doing exactly that.

After the first 12 or 13 weeks your baby will be maturing a bit and his sleeping and feeding habits should become more predictable. You will probably find yourselves in a routine, not so much a schedule. By this time you'll know if you have an easy baby who eats and sleeps like clockwork, or if you have a baby that has special needs or problems such as colic. You'll have to follow his cues and provide what is needed.

It will help you to keep a log of his feeding and sleeping times. I did this for eight weeks and it helped me so much. You'll see a pattern emerge. Good luck in the next few weeks - I hope you all get some sleep!

cchavez
12-21-2003, 11:32 AM
I also recommend the Karp book but the Weissbluth book has helped us so much too. Diego was VERY fussy and the important thing to remember about Weissbluth is that your post-colicky baby may not be ready to CIO for quite some time but being consistent in your soothing methods (such as rocking for us) is very important then when you are ready to use CIO there will be minimal crying...which is what pretty much happened w/ us. hth.

Jeanmick
12-21-2003, 01:10 PM
I went through MANY different books before I found what works for our kids, and I gotta agree w/ the posters above: Harvey Karp's "Happiest Baby on the Block" and Marc Weissbluth's "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child." These two books were a life saver!

sntm
12-21-2003, 01:41 PM
Also, the No-Cry Sleep Solution is good and anything by Burton White, because he will explain your child's developmental levels so you better understand what your baby can and can't do.

Babywise is VERY controversial -- has been linked to several cases of failure-to-thrive. Not all of the advice is bad, but enough of it that I would avoid the book like the plague. Do a search either on the internet or here on the boards and you will see what I mean.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

agomalley
12-21-2003, 04:52 PM
I totally agree with the above posters. I read the Karp book when Ryan was 3 months old. He was already too old for some of the suggestions. I wished I'd read it when I was pregnant. The Weissbluth book has been a lifesaver, though. We went through 2 and a half months this fall of awful sleep. I got the book after so many people raved about it on this board. DS is finally on a great schedule...naps 9am, 1pm and is down by 7! I'm so thankful I followed Weissbluth's advice. We did a bit of CIO, but I still nurse and rock him to sleep. However, he soothes himself back to sleep when he wakes at night, which was our big problem. ( He was waking 3-4 times a night.)
Good Luck,
Anabelle and Ryan 4/9/03

Melanie
12-21-2003, 05:27 PM
Definitely the No Cry Sleep Solution and avoid Babywise at all costs.

lizajane
12-21-2003, 08:47 PM
baby whisperer and weisbluth healthy sleep habits...

many babies thrive on schedules. they really appreciate the routine- knowing what to expect next, etc. and the schedule helps you to know what to expect. for me, i like to know that schuyler has gotten enough day time sleep, or when he will need to eat next. you MUST be flexible, of course, but some kind of routine is a lifesaver for many. so just keep an open mind. if he doesn't respond to your idea of a schedule, try responding to his idea of a schedule. make sense? i made myself nuts trying to follow baby whisperer to a "t" at 4 weeks,but when i got a grip and let schuyler lead, it worked really really well!

biggest tip i have for fussiness- don't let him be awake for more than 2 hours at a time. schuyler could only be awake for 1.5 hours at a time for months. start working toward a nap at 1 hour or 1.5 hours. a tired baby is a cranky baby!

i am in a hurry, so i am sorry if i didn't write as eloquently as i would have liked!