PDA

View Full Version : How would you feel about this..Re: Daycare Question

liya
12-20-2003, 11:09 PM
Well its final Ari is going to daycare in January thank god i got off a waiting list i had been on for over a year...LOL Just in the nick of time too....Yesterday we went to talk to the teachers an evaluate Ari. He was supposed to go in what they call nursery 2 but the teacher devcided he was too sdvanced to be with them(walking, wantuing to explore all the time etc) and decided he should be in the 1 to 1.5 yr old group. Needless to say im scared cause all the kids will be older than him and im scared they could hit him etc(they watch but accidents always happen)..Plus i know that group is bigger than the nursery kids group..

Am i being to paranoid??

TIA

egoldber
12-20-2003, 11:13 PM
If he's walking and very active and has really good motor skills, he'll probably do fine. But are you comfortable with the other room? Do you like the care givers and the class atmosphere?

Honestly, they may also be afraid that a kid at his developmental level could be dangerous in a room with other kids that aren't as advanced. Personally, I would put more weight on his developmental level rather than his actual age.

HTH,

Momof3Labs
12-20-2003, 11:30 PM
I don't have a lot of experience, but Ari will probably be MUCH happier with slightly older, similarly advanced children than he would be with babies. At his age, kids just love being around older kids but tend to get bored being around younger kids!

parkersmama
12-20-2003, 11:34 PM
Although I think I'd be hesitant like you are, I agree with Beth and Lori on this one. I've never regretted going ahead and letting my kids be in a setting with children who are slightly older (both my boys are among the youngest in their current classes). He will enjoy the other babies and it'll give him something to strive toward!

liya
12-21-2003, 12:04 AM
She said she was scared to put him with the other babies 7-12month olds that were still not mobile etc. Because he was well shall we say sorta rough...(i dont know if that was a compliment...LOL)..

Seeing him with Anwyn(who is now 7 months old) scared me to death to tell you the truth(Michelle knows i was freaking out everytime he went near her..LOL but she can hold her own..LOL)....

I am definately all for the developmental perspective but sigh...I just hope the other kids dont hit him or bite him(he still has no teeth :( ) Ok im being a pranoid mommy ;) ....

Melanie
12-21-2003, 04:43 AM
Don't worry Linda...I think the hitting and biting traits don't appear until around 2. LOL!

sarasprings
12-21-2003, 02:30 PM
I would check out the student/teacher ratio and find out what is legal where you are. Here, it's 4:1 for children under 1 year old, but it goes up for children over 1. The ratio is suppose to reflect that required for the youngest child in the group, so if your son is in with 1 year olds, the ratio would go down.

This doesn't deal with your child's happiness, but I'd be worried in general if the daycare center wasn't being careful with ratios.

lisams
12-21-2003, 03:06 PM
I agree. Sadly some daycares will put younger children in the older room just because the ratio is higher and they can take more kids. Even if he is in the 1+ room, they should go by the ratio that is for children his age. It does sound like they are looking at his development which is excellent, but I would just make sure they are following the ratios correctly. Maybe you could stay and watch how he interacts with the older children just to make sure it's a good idea.

Lisa

starrynight
12-21-2003, 03:21 PM
I'm sure he will be okay! Good luck :)

new_mommy25
12-21-2003, 05:51 PM
Linda, if you have a good daycare I think he will be fine. Unfortunetly though the hitting and biting does start before 2. A good friend of mine just took her son out of daycare because he had been bit three times. Once was on the stomach and it drew blood. The daycare filled out an accident report and such but what peeved her was that it was the same kid and obviously they weren't doing much to curb his behavior or seperate the two. I don't want to scare you but I would ask them what their policy on such incidents is.

NEVE and TRISTAN
12-22-2003, 09:38 AM
The ratio thing was my only concern too when I read your post. I know Tristan and I know he'd rather be witht he older children, and I think I'd rather that too...but the ratio of teacher to students for that age I'd wantt o know. Keep in mind to there is a different cost usually as they get older, so make certain they are not putting you in a lower cost class but charging you higher...
Neve
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

sntm
12-22-2003, 10:23 AM
Linda,
I can understand your nervousness! I think everyone addressed most of the issues I had (ratios, charges, develpment, etc.) My only other point would be that putting him in that younger baby room would require him to adjust first to daycare and new caregivers, and then within a few short months, to another set of caregivers. At least being in the older room, he will be settled for a while. And being the "baby", he probably will get more attention.
How exciting for him, though!

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

KGoes
12-22-2003, 10:35 AM
I was a wreck when DD went into daycare, so I understand your concerns.
First, I have noticed that all of the babies who are developmentally advanced actually like moving on to the toddler room because they get bored with the other infants. In fact, one baby was being held back by her mother because she wouldn't walk "all the time." Once they moved her with other walkers, not only did she walk all the time, but she brightened up in general.
Second, what has saved me is that I can go over most days at lunch and nurse or just interact with DD and the other babies. This has given me a huge comfort level with the way issues are handled by the daycare and the staff. I have to say that overall I have been pleasantly surprised by the whole experience.
I underscore all of the suggestions that you inquire as to ratios. I would also ask about visiting. Some of the babies don't have parents who can visit, but grandparents, aunts and uncles, etc. all make regular visits to play. Not only does it help the staff, but the babies really do enjoy the attention.
Some other things to ask about (forgive me, but DH is a prosecutor) is whether or not the changing area is videotaped and if so, how often the tapes are reviewed; whether background checks are performed on the workers, and what kind; the turnover rate amongst workers; credentials required of caregivers and any continuing education; the policy on sick babies and informing parents if, for example, one of the babies has tested positive for the flu; how often toys and equipment are evaluated for safety and washed; any philosophical issues, such as what foods they serve, what brands of formula they use, what snacks they give, how they potty train.
Please don't let this list intimidate you. Most, if not all of this, should be routine stuff. We are not in a fancy daycare at all and all of these issues are covered completely.
Kelley
DD born 7/03

jmofarrill
12-22-2003, 01:47 PM
Hey, Linda,

Ari was FINE with Anwyn! LOL Yes, she can hold her own, but I don't think Ari was being rough with her at all. I think Ari would be much happier being around children who are in similar development abilities rather than his own age. Ari is advanced and extremely bright and curious, so I believe he would thrive with the older children. He would become frustrated being with the babies in the 7-12 if they can't do the same things he can do. Not only that, but the workers who deal with the older children who are at the same development level as Ari's will know better how to interact with him.