PDA

View Full Version : Anyone buy a dishwasher recently?

MommytoDylan
12-22-2003, 02:39 PM
Our dishwasher is slowly dying and we need to purchase a new one. Does anyone have any ideas? Do you think appliances will be on sale the day after Christmas? All we care about is price and energy efficiency. And it would be nice to be able to have a conversation in the living room while the dishwasher is going (which we currently cannot do because of the LOUD motor of our current one). Thanks for any advice!!

Meredith

COElizabeth
12-22-2003, 02:45 PM
I'm not sure about sales, but I just moved, and I can say that the Amana dishwasher we had in our old place was far superior to the baseline GE model we have now. It was much quieter and did a better job with the dishes.

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

egoldber
12-22-2003, 03:08 PM
I would second Elizabeth's suggestion to be leary of the baseline dishwasher of ANY brand.

We replaced our lousy builder grade Whirlpool with an Asko, and we ADORE it!!! It works beautifully and is very quiet and highly efficient. We got it for about the same price as other higher end dishwashers, because it was a floor model.

My MIL has a Maytag dishwasher that is very nice as well. We also had a Maytag dishwasher 2-3 houses ago, LOL, and it was nice.

HTH,

mom2kandj
12-22-2003, 06:39 PM
Meredith -

I just PM'ed you! Please check your inbox!

Rose
mom 2 Katie (almost 3!)
& Jack (19 months)

Meatball Mommie
12-22-2003, 07:03 PM
Bosch dishwashers are very quiet and efficient, but I'm not sure how much you want to spend. The model we have was around $800 I think.

Jeanmick
12-22-2003, 07:19 PM
We bought a dishwasher a few months ago. Consumer Reports rated it as what they call a "Best Buy." Check out this link for the model:
http://www.maytag.com/mths/products/product.jsp?model=MDB5600AWW&cs=0&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

If you can't get to it, it's the Maytag MDB5600AW.

We've been VERY pleased. Much, much quieter than the last dishwasher we had and bigger too. Cleans dishes, pots and pans nicely. FYI, Consumer Reports did rate the Bosch as the best dishwasher, but as a previous poster noted, the cost can be from $800-1200. The one we bought cost us approximately $400.

Good luck.

MommytoDylan
12-22-2003, 07:50 PM
Rose,

You are awesome! Thank you so much! I'll look forward to your email!

Meredith

pritchettzoo
12-23-2003, 12:26 AM
Good Housekeeping has a review of dishwashers on its website: http://magazines.ivillage.com/goodhousekeeping/consumer/appliances/articles/0,,284518_594183,00.html

I was researching them until my (relatively new) washing machine died. Argh! Now I'm stuck with my cruddy old dishwasher for a while longer. :(

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

ethansmom
12-23-2003, 03:36 PM
Our new dishwasher is being installed today!

We went with the bottom of the line Bosch, which is still supposed to be quite good. It only has 3 wash cycles, but since we always use the same cycle, who cares?

The machine is so quiet, it's hard to tell if it's on! I read it's actually quieter than a coffee maker.

We paid $459 for ours at a local place. Lowes sells the next model up for about $527, but the have a rebate for part of the install.