PDA

View Full Version : When do you move from a crib to a bed?

nofeea
12-24-2003, 12:58 PM
I'm sure there's a wide range here, but when do most kids move into regular beds? DD will be about 19 mos. old when #2 arrives and I'm trying to figure out if I'll need another crib or if she'll be ready for a bed. Any insights? Thanks.

(Not sure where to post this so I'm posting in Nursery Nec. also)

brubeck
12-24-2003, 01:53 PM
We moved Amy at 18 months but that's the earliest I have heard of. We did it because she was interested and she was so tall we knew she'd be climbing out of the crib at any time (her armpits were above the top of the crib wall when she stood in it).

Keep in mind that it takes a few weeks to do the transition properly because you want to keep the crib around as a safety net. Then the older child has to forget the crib was theirs before the new baby uses it or jealousy and backsliding might ensue. So it seems like even if you are able to do an early transition you will still have to buy a bassinet or something to have the baby in for a few months.

khakismom
12-24-2003, 02:25 PM
Congratulations on baby #2!! So exciting!

We moved Kathleen when she was 20 months in preparation of Ellen's arrival. The bed and room was set up for months and she was learning that this was her new room. We even moved her toys and books in there so she knew it was her room. Then one day she wanted to sleep in her new big bed (a double) and that was it. She never went back to the crib. :)

A girlfriend of mine put her DD in a toddler bed with no problems when she was 15 months. She had just moved and the movers lost the hardware for the crib. She wasn't about to go out and get a new crib but still had to wait a month to get new hardware. By then, her DD was used to her bed.

You could always try to move her when she's around 16-17 months. And if it doesn't work, then I agree with Helen that a bassinet might be good for the baby to give DD more time until she moves. Good luck! :)

nofeea
12-24-2003, 02:29 PM
I forgot to mention that I'll be using a bassinet for the baby's first 3 months anyway...

nofeea
12-24-2003, 10:53 PM
Funny...We'll be moving right around that time also so DD will be getting her own new room, new everything! I'm just a little worried about too much change at once. I hate to 'take away' her nice comfy, familiar crib if it'll make the transition easier for her. On the other hand, it might be a natural time to make the change... new room-new bed. Maybe I'll just have to wait and see...

MinnieMouse
12-26-2003, 01:09 AM
We moved Beth into a low twin bed (bottom bed of a trundle system) when she was 18mo. She never liked the crib mattress much. She was THRILLED to death with her Dora the Explorer flannel sheets and slept like a rock from the very first night.

We put the nursing stool at the end of the bed, and used a bed rail on it. Dh and I also gated her doorway since we didn't want her wandering down the stairs in her sleep.

HTH

Christine