PDA

View Full Version : New Year's Eve?

farsk
12-26-2003, 03:10 PM
Hello Everyone!

I always get a little sad and weepy this time of year. The holidays are over and a new year is upon us.

Anyway, I am looking for ideas to make this New Year's Eve something more than sitting at home and watching the ball drop. With Ellen, and with my mom having a NYE party with her friends (aka no one to watch Ellen) our celebration will have to be here at home...and since we have a baby, none of our single/no kids friends will want to come join our festivities.

I'd thought about making some yummy appetizers to munch on and then renting a movie after Ellen goes to bed. How blah is that?!?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

lukkykatt
12-26-2003, 03:18 PM
Shanon, last year we had a 6 month old who wouldn't take a bottle, so a night home for us it was. We had a really nice time. After the boys went to bed, we made a nice dinner together and had it by candlelight. We had a bottle of champagne and used our Waterford toasting goblets (wedding present). We listened to music and talked about the year that had gone by and what we wanted for the year ahead. So, it was intimate, fancy and romantic. I am hoping we will do the same thing this year.

A night at home can be nice. Just think of something that would be fun for you, and go from there!

Momof3Labs
12-26-2003, 04:31 PM
I think that I have your blah beat! DH is working New Year's Eve and New Year's Day (8am on 12/31 until 8am on 1/2, to be exact) so I am home alone with Colin. Even if I could find a babysitter, do I really want to go out alone??

So it will be just like any other night (when Daddy is working) here. *sigh*

Sarah1
12-26-2003, 04:40 PM
Don't feel bad--we're staying home too. Last year we went out and it was only so-so...going out is really overrated. We're having two couples over (both childless, BTW) and are looking forward to a mellow but fun evening. It's nice to get a little tipsy and just have to stumble a few yards into your own bed.

Forgot to add--like Andrea said, it's a GREAT night to get out all the fancy stuff you never use--your crystal, china, silver, whatever you have!

JElaineB
12-26-2003, 09:00 PM
Your idea doesn't sound bad at all! I think the last year we actually went out was 3 years ago. New Year's Eve is my birthday, so I pretty much get to do what I want. So I'm making all sorts of appetizers for dinner/snacks (haven't figured out which ones yet). Renting a movie sounds good too, I haven't decided on that yet. I guess I can make myself a birthday cake too! Have fun!

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

luvbeinmama
12-27-2003, 01:48 AM
Yeah, me too. Although DH will probably (no promises, of course) be home for ball-dropping time (he's on swingshift). But since we don't have TV hooked up except to watch movies, that doesn't really matter anyway. New Year's is kind of a non-event at our house. When DH was working graveyard shift, he'd hide under an overpass from about 11:45 to 12:15 (because those idiots with guns tend to shoot into the air and what goes up MUST come down), and then start booking the drunk drivers as fast as he could. The onslaught usually starts around 1:00 am.

So, I wish everyone here a SAFE New Year's Eve, preferrably at home!

newbelly2002
12-27-2003, 04:19 AM
Calm night here too. We fly to the States the next day (Jan 1) and have to leave the house at 6AM. Ugh. No tipsiness out of the house OR in this year. It's a shame because Berlin has so much to do, but the appetizers idea is a good one. Eaten in-between the packing I'm afraid.

But as my bday is the 30th, I'm used to having New Year's Eve slip by relaively unnoticed.

Have fun all!

Paula
Mama to Dante, 8/1/02

jojo2324
12-27-2003, 12:28 PM
DH and I have celebrated 6 New Year's together. I think there is a hex on us or something, because EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM HAS STUNK!! LOL, it's a joke at this point. Suffice it to say, one year we were camped out on our pull-out sofa, hacking up our lungs and barely keeping down Jell-o. Another year involved...bugs. I can't reveal any more than that. Just lots of bugs. Ugh.

DH just asked this morning what I wanted to do, and he offered to make a nice dinner and we could just relax at home. First of all, the thought of HIM making dinner is a treat itself. (He works nights, so to have him home during the evening is nice too.) Secondly, since you can probably find me passed out no later than 9 pm most nights, it's not the wisest decision for us to spend the money to go out. Not much fun when your New Year's date falls asleep 3 hours before the ball drops! Besides, there's the babysitter factor.

So, I think we're going to stay home, have a scrumptious dinner and I might even indulge in a little sip of bubbly. Or a root beer float. :)

Mommie2MadLyn
12-27-2003, 04:02 PM
My 2 sisters and I live very close to eachother, and my sister started a nice tradition a few years ago. She has a small party at her house, usually just the 6 of us (me,hubby,sisters/spouses),and a few friends stop by. We make lots of yummy food to nibble on ,enjoy some cocktails and just hang out together. The best part is that we all have children, so we put them to bed and the party continues while they sleep in the next room!!! No need to worry about babysitters, which are impossible to come by on New Year's Eve (even Grandma has plans!!!) We spend the night and all wake up together and have a great big breakfast to celebrate the New Year!!! Its so much fun, I don't miss going out at all!!! Happy New Year Everyone!!!

brigmaman
12-28-2003, 12:14 AM
I guess I am a bit abnormal in that I enjoy staying home on New Years Eve. This is actually the first year that I have somewhere to go that I am looking forward to. I can bring ds, so that helps. In my family, when I was younger, we weren't allowed to go out on New Years. I don't know if my father knew something I didn't, but I should thank him, because like Joanne, I have NEVER had a good time going out on New Years. Maybe it is because the night is made out to be so special and then it never is. We have always just ordered in Chinese and sat around with my immediate family watching movies and playing games. (Yes we are that corny! :)) But I look forward to that.

luvbeinmama
12-28-2003, 01:33 AM
That's not corny! That sounds like fun!!! :D

khakismom
12-28-2003, 02:45 AM
So am I the only one going out this New Year's Eve? :)

We're doing dinner at a yummy Euro bistro with friends and my brother and SIL, and then hitting a couple of parties. After spending the last three NYEs either at home with baby or PG, I am excited to go out! :)