PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for the inspiration...

Hallie_D
12-29-2003, 12:22 PM
I wanted to thank everyone who wrote about the Signing Times videos. After reading about how wonderful they are and how easy it is to teach babies to sign, we bought all three DVDs about a month ago as an early Hanukah gift for DS. He loves them (and so do we)! We've only watched them a few times but DH and I try to sign the words we learned whenever we say them. I'm totally amazed that after just a few weeks he is spontaneously signing milk, water, eat, bird, cat, dog, go, baby, car, bike and hot. I think we got very lucky and introduced the videos right at the edge of a big language explosion, because he's also more then doubled his spoken vocabulary in the last two weeks.

For those of you who introduced signing to an older baby (DS is 19 months), did you notice an increase in spoken vocabulary as well? And did your child pick up signs for words s/he already could say? DS already could say dog, cat, bike and hot, but he never says and signs them simultaneously. However, since learning to sign water and go he has learned to say them, and he now says and signs them simultaneously.

I feel extremely lucky to be a part of this community, even as a long-time lurker. So thanks again to all of you!

peanut4us
12-29-2003, 06:58 PM
Glad it's working out for you Hallie. Sara still is soaking it all in, but I am so excited for the day that she will let us know what goes on in that cute head of hers.