PDA

View Full Version : Nice DC hotels?

etwahl
12-31-2003, 06:45 PM
we are considering doing a VERY last minute drive to DC and wondering about some nice hotels. i know a lot will probably be sold out, but we thought it might be fun to check and see. i'm a little worried because lauren isn't a carseat girl, especially driving that far, but we think if we leave REALLY early morning, she might sleep a lot of the way.

any other suggestions as to shopping or what to do would be great. dh knows some spots, but i've never been.

edited to ask: Is the Hay-Adams across from the White House nice? sounds pretty nice.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

jec2
12-31-2003, 10:15 PM
It's been a while since I live in D.C. and boy I hear things are changing there. I know the Willard is very nice and right across from the white house. The Hilton just north of Dupont circle is nice and is in a fun/funky part of town (I think it is the Hilton on Embassy Row). And Yes, as I recall the Hay Adams is very nice. HTH and have fun!

Momof3Labs
12-31-2003, 10:51 PM
Yes, the Hilton just north of DuPont Circle is VERY nice - I had a conference there once!

egoldber
12-31-2003, 11:09 PM
When we lived in CA, DH used to fly to DC frequently for meetings. He used to stay at the Marriott at 22nd and M. But its a Marriott, so it won't be interesting or quirky

He also recommends:
The Topaz Hotel at 1733 N St. NW (recently remodeled, Euro funky, blue glass kinda place)
The Mayflower Hotel at 1127 Connecticut NW (fancy, old guard, club chairs and cigars kinda place, this would be similar to the Hay Adams)

Those 2 are about 5 blocks from the White House and close to DuPont Circle.

The Intercontinental at 1401 Pennsylvania also looks (fancy) nice.

For eating near the White House, Old Ebbit's Grill is nice and pretty baby friendly (on 15th between F and G). There's also a place called GrillFish (near that Marriott) which DH says is good. And another place called Vidalia's is also close to the Marriott and is yummy (but onion themed).

If you've not been to DC, then you need to do the National Mall and the stuff there. But there are so many things to do and see. It will be rather cold, so if spending a lot of time on the Mall, make sure that Lauren is bundled well. :) For shopping, Georgetown is interesting and quirky, but frankly a huge pain with a stroller. (Plus its a cab ride there from the White House area and parking in Georgetown is a nightmare, especially around dinner time.)

For more upscale eating choices, the area around DuPont Circle and Georgetown are great. If you want to venture into VA, there are also lots of terrific eating places in the Arlington area. Just FYI, the fun places in Goergetown and Arlington are not the most baby friendly though.

When would you be there? We're gone until next week unfortunately.

etwahl
01-01-2004, 09:57 AM
beth, thanks for the reply. we WERE going to go today and come back sunday, but then we realized it's kind of cold and we don't know what to do exactly. so we decided to postpone. would march be a good time? this will give us more time to plan out what we want to do, where to stay, good shopping, and like you said, good baby friendly restaurants. ANY advice you have would be great. i figure if we can plan our days, that would be best. we'd love to meet you guys when we're there also. that'd be a huge bonus!

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

NEVE and TRISTAN
01-01-2004, 10:42 AM
I hope caught you before you left...but I wanted to recommend staying in Olde towne Alexandria (on the Virginia side), that is where Steve and I moved from. There is a Holiday Inn (but a more la de had HI) on King Street (the main street) and everyone stays there...

BUT I RECOMMEND... THE MORRISON HOUSE...it is a cross between a b&b and a hotel, is gorgeous and is on a totally differnt level than the Holiday Inn and I have negotiated prices there for guest at a lower level thean the HI...
http://www.hotellocators.com/cities/US/VA/Alexandria/Relais_Chateaux_Morrison_House.htm?ref=ovxa149082

When I worked at the hospital I would send people there who needed a place to stay when I worked on a surgical unit that drew folks from aorund the country.

You will be further from down on the water at the Morrison HOuse but it is lovely and still within a walk...if you just want a super nice, clean place to crash then I'd stay at the HI.

But Olde Towne offers you the water, nice restaurants and cobble stones walks...a childs boutique on King and a lot of neat stores in an "olde Towne" atmosphere. Then you can always head to DC to "visit"...

If you enjoy shopping hit George Town Park in DC it is not a Park but a mall where "everyone" goes...

If you go there, not far fromt here is SEQOIA on the waterfront, a nice restaurant where in the summer everyone goes and drinks outside...my bridal shower was there...

Hope that helps, but I think you'd enjoy Olde Towne with Lauren...
Neve
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

lukkykatt
01-01-2004, 12:50 PM
Just wanted to recommend that you think about using priceline when you decide to go. We've stayed in DC twice recently, and DH used priceline both times. You can put in the area where you want to stay and the number of stars for the hotel. We stayed at 4 star hotels both times for $80/night. The only downside is if you have a specific hotel where you want to stay.

The one night we were at the Mayflower Hotel, and it is really nice in a grand old era kind of way. They went out of their way for the kids too - wound up their clock for DS (he is a clock nut), special attention at breakfast, etc.

etwahl
01-01-2004, 02:57 PM
we were THIS close to going early this morning, but then we figured we needed more time to "plan" but also, we thought we might have more fun if we went when warmer.

when's the best time to go? we're thinking march?

also, as far as hotels, we definitely want to stay somewhere REALLY nice. when i don't pay for plane tickets, i don't mind spending more on a hotel :) so i'll check out all the suggestions given so far!

i'm also looking forward to some REAL shopping when we go. unlike what we have around here.

we also have to go to charlotte middle of this month, so may get some decent shopping in there, but probably nothing like dc.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

NEVE and TRISTAN
01-01-2004, 06:24 PM
After I responded I read that you were going to wait...Today here was pretty but DC is cooler and traffic being a holiday week might be bad. I think late march would be a wonderful time to go!!!

When I went back and read peoples advice on where to stay I think you got a great list. Many of our formals in high school were at some of those places and they are wonderful. If you go for like three nights maybe a combo of a DC "old era" hotal and a nite at the Morrison House.

Shopping in DC is fun!!! I love a seafood restuarant there called Kincaids too-but I am not certain if I'd be stressed with baby, I can't remember the atmosphere of it like that that much. Sequoia atleast is big enough where they can give you a table to dine nicely but be away from a crowd...!!!

Keep me posted as you near your trip and I'll brainstorm a little. :)

Neve
Feb 25, 2003

deenass
01-01-2004, 07:50 PM
A GREAT time to go to DC is in the spring when the cherry blossom trees are in bloom. I think it's usually some time in April. The city is beatiful then!

McQ
01-02-2004, 11:28 AM
OMG Neve I was married at the Morrison House!!! We LOVE LOVE LOVE the Morrison House and I totally recommend it. Before Declan got here, DH & I would spend our anniversary there (even though we live in Alexandria) and it was always a delightful little retreat. We love the Grill Room for dinner and that's where we celebrate all of our special occasions and for our anniversary the pastry chef always makes us the top layer of our wedding cake. It's wonderful there.

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03

alkagift
01-02-2004, 12:42 PM
Tammy,
I've stayed at the Mayflower and the Hay Adams, both are nice and a bit clubby looking as Beth mentioned The location is great. The Sofitel around the corner is also nice, a bit modern and smaller rooms, but really comfy down comforter and very nice bath.

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

NEVE and TRISTAN
01-02-2004, 02:02 PM
I bet that was a marvelous wedding...I think it's the best kept secret in Alexandria. They have always worked with me when I have called to get guest in with good rates too...though I have never gotten to enjoy the place I have arranged for many to do so!!!

I'd love to do a high tea there some time :)
I'm craving La Madelaine tomato basil soup there in olde towne as I type...
Neve
Feb 25, 2003

McQ
01-02-2004, 05:04 PM
Marvelous pretty much sums it up. You should take your own advice and stay there some time. One of the last times we were there we talked with the owner and he was telling us how their business has dropped dramatically since 9/11. So I think it's great to give this wonderful little place some business. Next time you come up leave T with your parents and you & Steve sneak away for a romantic night. But you're outta luck on tea, they stopped doing that awhile ago :(

Edited to add: sorry to hijack your thread Tammy. Do let us know when you come up!

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03