PDA

View Full Version : Power of Attorney for medical care?

em_jon98
01-04-2004, 02:39 PM
Does anyone know where I can find a simple form or guideline for preparing a power of attorney for my parents in case of a medical emergency with DD? She is going to stay with them next week, and since they live six hours away I want them to have one just in case anything should happen.

egoldber
01-04-2004, 02:48 PM
When my MIL watched my DD for a week last year while we were on vacation, I called my ped and asked what they would want to see in case MIL had to take her in. They said all that was required was a signed letter stating that DH and I authorized her to seek medical care during that specified period of time.

So I would call your ped and ask about their requirements.

HTH,

pritchettzoo
01-04-2004, 03:18 PM
Some states have special wording that they prefer be used in these types of forms, especially with children. Hospitals often provide these forms (and they would contain the state's preferred wording), along with living wills, etc. Check with your pediatrician's office and nearby hospitals (a children's hospital might be your best bet). Also, if you have a family attorney who has drawn a will for you likely has this form in his/her word processing files and could prepare one for a nominal charge.

It's not a bad idea to have one already prepared for whomever is named as custodian for your children--in the case of say an accident involving your family in which you and your DH were incapacitated and your child injured, the named custodian could make emergency medical decisions for your child without too much wasted time and red tape.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)