PDA

View Full Version : I'm in denial...

jec2
01-04-2004, 09:21 PM
about my maternity leave ending tomorrow :( It's 5:00 on Sunday and I have been ignoring the fact that I start back to my scholastic duties tomorrow. And, we're all still recovering from colds. Ok, ok, so I only have to be on campus about 15 hours a week but ugh, already? In addition to TA'ing, I've decided to take a statistics class in an effort to get me working on my dissertation. Thankfully, however, I can keep DS w/ me for part of my duties (about 6 of the 15 hours) and DH, who works on campus, will take him when I can't, but still...where did the time go?

I just packed my lunch and am gearing up to pack DS's bag. So sad.

peanut4us
01-04-2004, 09:54 PM
I'm sorry Juliet. Just take it one moment at a time tomorrow. When you get in the car to drive to day care... don't think about dropping baby at day care, think of fun songs to sing in the car with him or tell him a story. When you get to day care, don't think about leaving him, think about how to introduce him to new friends, toys, etc... When you leave, think about whatever positive thing you can think of. That's the only time you have my permission (fwiw) to think about the next moment... picking DS up and seeing his smiling face.

You'll get through it. There are lots of us working mommies on this board. We'll help you in any way we can.

jojo2324
01-04-2004, 11:31 PM
Good luck!! I'll be thinking of you!

deborah_r
01-04-2004, 11:45 PM
So sorry, I hope it goes OK for you! I have to go back to my sort-of part time status tomorrow after being off for over two weeks, and I'm feeling pretty ugly about it too...MIL is here to watch DS, so that's good. I know what you mean about it being "only" 15 hours a week - it doesn't feel like that, you know, because you go from totally focused on your baby all the time to having to divide your attention and it so hard.

Joey gave great advice that I can't compete with, so I'll leave it at that!!! We'll be thinking of you!

jec2
01-05-2004, 04:20 PM
Thanks for your warm thoughts, they helped. DH watched Finn this morning while I taught and now DS gets to be with me while I work at the lab then i am done at 3! He is sleeping in his stroller and I (and my boobs) are eager for him to wake. Poor DH had a rough go this a.m. I called him to check in and DH said, "This is tough work!" It's not the first time he's wathced DS, but for some reason it was more difficult for him.

ooh...finn just woke...yum!

mommyj
01-05-2004, 06:27 PM
I'm glad it went okay. I'm trying to decide if I should postpone taking one last seminar until the fall, so I totally know how you feel. Up until the other day, I've been all set to take a class and work on my dissertation, but now that the semester is about to start, it feels like it's too soon to leave my little man.
I guess the positive side of this is you don't have to be away from Finn too many hours/week.
I hope you make the transition smoothly. In the meantime, I'll be trying to figure out what I'm doing :)