PDA

View Full Version : Vacationing with one-year-old - where to go/stay?

mattysmom
01-05-2004, 11:14 AM
Thanks to all of you, I feel validated in my decision to bring ds with us on our vacation later this winter. We want to go away for a week, to a warm, relaxing destination that's easy to get to (non-stop from Boston). We'd like to stay at a hotel where we can have a suite (two rooms) or rent a condo ... I'd love to know where people have gone and liked and found it easy to have a baby with them. DS probably (hopefully?) will be walking by then as he will be 13 months. Thanks for your help!!!

toomanystrollers
01-05-2004, 12:39 PM
I'm thinking easily FLA or Bermuda. When we did the Disney trip back in October, we rented a house - complete with pool/hot tub and anything you need for baby - crib, highchair, etc. If you're interested, I'll get all the links from my Mom (our vacation expert).

dogmom
01-05-2004, 01:48 PM
I went to Bermuda when I was pregnant from Boston because I wanted something nice withing a short plane ride from home. Bermuda isn't that far south, around North Carolina, so it won't be warm until May. It's a great island, however. You can't rent a car there, but it gives you an excuse to just stay on the beach outside your hotel, which I imagine would be preferable with a baby. We were tinking of going with our DS this year. (Or I was, I'm not sure what my DH is thinking.) If you want to email me I can give you some hotel recommendations that I think would be good with kids. (We scouted around when we were there.) I think Bermuda had some the best beaches I've ever been to. (Of course that was pre-huricanne.)

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03

August Mom
01-05-2004, 02:11 PM
I'm not sure if it's a non-stop trip from Boston, but we had a wonderful time in Hilton Head, SC. We stayed at a house with a kitchen, pool, separate room for DS, etc. and it was wonderful. It was so much nicer than a hotel because you could go out by the pool during naps or do something in another part of the house. We rented bikes and had fun exploring the island with DS. DS loved the pool and we went to the beach a few times too, where he enjoyed the sand but wasn't so sure about the ocean. There's also shopping and restaurants if that's important. However, there are not too many sightseeing attractions. I actually found this okay with a 13.5 month old.

Have fun.

Sarah1
01-05-2004, 05:41 PM
The beach where I grew up going in Florida is amazing...it's near Jacksonville. I'm attaching a link to some rental condos...this happens to be where my parents have a condo, in the interest of full disclosure :)

http://www.colonyreefclubrentals.com

BAD website (makes it look really cheesy and old), but these condos are great and very reasonable. You can always PM me if you want more info. Another idea to consider!

etwahl
01-05-2004, 06:23 PM
oh, we're actually wanting to go to hilton head this summer. any other good hints or tips on finding a really good/nice place to stay? we're in nc, so we'll just drive.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

jesseandgrace
01-05-2004, 07:00 PM
Bermuda is fantastic and is so easy from Boston, but again it really is not warm until at least May, so don't go until may/June if you want a warm vacation. The Bahamas are also very easy to get to from Boston. I have read great things about Harbour Island - if you pick up a copy of the Town and Country Travel issue (Fall 2003, but still on newstands) it has a great article. I think it might be the next place I will take my kids.

Also, this takes a little longer, but you can fly non-stop usually to Cancun, Mexico and from there if you take a two hour bus ride to Playa del Carmen, there is a great family resort area called Playacar. There are many hotels in this little area, most are all inclusives. We stayed at a place called Riu Tequila. It was fantastic. Its not really a Mexico trip as the resort area that these hotels are in is like Disney with everything manicured and perfect, but it is a great beach vacation with kids. All the water is purified also, so no worries about that. The beach is beautiful and calm.

I think there is a resort in Jamaica that has a great kids program. If so, it would be expensive, but it would also be a really easy vacation. I can't think of the name but maybe someone else knows.

We travel all the time with our kids and its fine, REALLY!

Jennifer

marit
01-05-2004, 07:46 PM
CANCUN!!!

We just came back from the most awesome vacation of our lives! We stayed in an all-inclusive resort about an hour south of Cancun (we were told Cancun is more "older people" type of vacation) near a city called Playa del Carmen. The entire area is called Mayan Riviera (Mexico).

We booked through www.suntrips.com they have packages that include everything and is really convenient. The hotel (called Barcelo Maya) is SO SO beautiful. It is all-inclusive so you don't have to worry about anything, it was really easy with Maya (she was 11 months) we found lots of food for her - she ate like a pig! I didn't use one jar of food (even though I brought tons).

The best thing is the beach (and the weather). Maya loved the beach (the sand is really good for early walkers), she cried when we tried to take her outside of the water! The weather was perfect the water was nice and warm, no waves, palm trees on the beach - Just perfect!

I'm sorry this is so long... I want to go back there!

You can take a look at:

http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b35c54572588

mattysmom
01-05-2004, 10:49 PM
Thanks for these great ideas! I will definitely look into them. Has anyone taken a cruise with a one-year-old??

August Mom
01-06-2004, 12:58 AM
Actually, we stayed at a really nice home owned by DH's boss, so I'm not sure how you find the best place without a connection. You can visit South Carolina's tourism website for some ideas. http://www.discoversouthcarolina.com/ If you do a Google search, you'll find lots of sites with vacation rentals.