PDA

View Full Version : Lip Balm for Babies

s7714
01-06-2004, 01:50 AM
Does anyone know if it's o.k. to use lip balm on babies? DD's upper lip is starting to get dried out from all the drooling and sucking she's been doing in connection with her teething. I use Burt's Bees Lip Balm for myself, but I was hesitant to use it on her because of the strong peppermint oil in it.

TIA,
Jennifer

Annalia 03/03/03

SeekerMage
01-06-2004, 02:03 AM
Im not sure about the lip balm but I always put vaseline on the babys cheeks and lips in the winter and that worked quite well. I usually applied it at night or nap time when there was less drooling/sucking going on....and even overnight it seemed better...hth :)

SASM
01-06-2004, 02:44 AM
I had the same problem. I bought the Mustela stick for cheeks and lips at The Right Start. I think that it may have some cocoa butter in it but nothing offensive and overpowering. I thought that I'd give it a try considering it is MADE for babies. Ian doesn't seem to mind it. I actually think that he likes it ~ then again, as you can tell from my post he likes to stick anything in or near his mouth :(

I am eager to hear if you find something. :) Good luck.

houseof3boys
01-06-2004, 09:24 AM
I use Lansinoh on Ryan's drool rash and to prevent it really several times a day. I always dot a little on his lips and mine when I am done! He thinks its funny because I always make kissing noises when I do it. :)

I would be hesitant about using anything with flavorings in it, plus if she might get a reaction to it since babies seem to have such sensitive skin.

cchavez
01-06-2004, 09:45 AM
Aquaphor works too!

JElaineB
01-06-2004, 09:46 AM
Gerber makes a balm called "Teeny Faces Moisturizing Stick" that can be used on baby faces and lips. It can be found pretty much anywhere. DS likes it, I call it his "baby lipstick"!

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

Sarah1
01-06-2004, 10:20 AM
Like Christine said Aquaphor is AWESOME. That is our #1 lotion/cream...I put it on DD's face and manage to rub it over her lips. I know exactly what you mean about the chapping. It goes on kind of greasy but really restores the softness.

Jen in Chicago
01-06-2004, 10:36 AM
This is the only thing Jude will let me put on him. He hates lotions, but does not mind the stick. He is such a wiggleworm the hard part is getting him still enough for a swipe.

amp
01-06-2004, 04:04 PM
I don't know if it's considered safe, but DH and I are both lip balm junkies, so we do put it on DS, especially when his top lip starts cracking from all the droo! He even figured it out right away and people laugh when they see us put it on him and he holds his lips 'just so' so we can put it on his lips. We have used Burts Bees, blistex, chapstick, carmex, aquaphor, vaseline and Lansinoh. He hasn't had any problem with any of them.

pritchettzoo
01-06-2004, 04:20 PM
I use the Mustela stick and Lansinoh on DD.

As far as being "safe," I would guess that your little one is too small to really lick her lips a ton and eat it like maybe an older toddler would!

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)