PDA

View Full Version : Lunch ideas for DH??? need to cut down on costs....

cchavez
01-06-2004, 03:52 PM
Wow! I didn't realize how much DH and I spend on groceries until the grocery thread came up. We also eat take out 2x's a week! AND DH eats out everyday for lunch fortunately he has some reasonably priced options...taco bell, deli, etc so most meals are under 5.00. But his office is going to be moved soon and only higher priced restaurants are in that area (i.e. Mortons, the Palm, Cadillac bar, etc). He cannot afford to eat at those places on a daily (even weekly basis) but he feels weird brown bagging it. He is a director at a large company and he said it just doesn't feel right to take his lunch. Although, maybe more people will start doing this b/c there are no reasonably priced options in the area. I mentioned that maybe he could take in Lean Quisine (sp?) or Healthy Choice wraps instead of a sandwich???? Or I even mentioned a protein bar. B/c what usually happens is that he eats a decent sized lunch and then he doesn't eat much at dinner.

Any suggestions?

kapow
01-06-2004, 03:59 PM
Maybe he can get places to deliver lunch at more reasonable prices? Especially if he goes in on an order with other people. Thai food is pretty cheap and healthy too.

mamahill
01-06-2004, 04:58 PM
When I was working, my boss was a VP and he almost always brought his lunch. I generally send DH with a sandwich, but it's not just PBJ - I get those french rolls and good deli meat/cheese (love TJ's for this), some lettuce (and tomato, if I'm feeling bold), and then wrap it all nice. It looks straight from the deli, but a fraction of the cost.

The other thing I did, was buy him a really cool lunchbox (how elementary school does that sound?). It's silver and like those olde time ones. DH began taking it to work, and pretty soon he noticed in the lunch room and around the office, other lunch boxes showing up. Now, he's not a director, but rather than hide it, he made it very obvious that he was bringing in lunch. Lots of people have commented about how they should bring their lunch to work.

Another thing is how does he feel about leftovers? I generally make enough for a couple nights and a couple lunches. I'll throw some of it into a gladware container and then into the freezer. Then when it comes time for him to go to work, he just picks what he wants (lasagna, enchiladas, black bean stew, etc.).

That's about all I have to offer. Good luck!

Calmegja2
01-06-2004, 05:11 PM
I do just about the same as Sarah does. My DH is incredibly picky, and won't eat at most restaurants (and if he does, he's really limited), so we pack most of his lunches.

I make extras with dinner, and we do the sub sandwich ideas, too.

I also bought a couple of books of packing lunches. I think Brown Bag Success is one of them. It's geared toward kids, but works just fine for picky eaters.... ;-)

starrynight
01-06-2004, 05:18 PM
Dh takes hot pockets and a snack or I pack him some leftovers. On occasion he takes one of those frozen meals to work. It's so much cheaper than him eating out every day!

cchavez
01-06-2004, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the great ideas! I think he would go for the sub roll idea. He really likes the Sara Lee sub rolls and I always buy Boars Head Deli meat....how could he not pass that up!

kransden
01-06-2004, 05:36 PM
Presentation is important. He is the director and understandably wants to keep a certain image. So a salad in an attractive colored tupperware container or a wrap will look a lot better than a plain PBJ on white bread and chips.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

lizajane
01-06-2004, 06:03 PM
i think his showing the folks who work for him that it is ok to brown bag is actually a good thing. but what do i know... i was never a director!

he could pack it in his briefcase so that he wasn't advertising his sack lunch. and he can always eat at his desk while he checks email or gets a few "internet errands" done so that he isn't waving the homemade lunch around.

also, i think bringing MEALS instead of sandwichs might make a difference. i don't mind eating last night's leftovers, but if he needs more variety, he could just scoop a portion of every dinner into a tupperware, put it in the freezer, and then he can take out what appeals to him every morning. then he is eating "my wife's special lasagne" or "my special chili recipe" because it is a real treat, instead of eating an economizing sandwich.

NEVE and TRISTAN
01-06-2004, 06:21 PM
I think he'll start a trend that those under him will also start to do thus he is helping those under him with their finances at work!!! I think that a lovely idea!!!

My friend works at a company where every week an employee started a "movie at lunch" thing...every week this employee brings in a movie and they all pack their lunches and that is their break (I forgot if it is broken down into two days it might be)...I thought that a great idea!!!

Neve
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

amp
01-06-2004, 06:24 PM
My husband comes home for lunch, but we still eat what he'd eat if he took his lunch. We often eat leftovers. He likes sandwiches, so the fancy sandwich idea is a good one. He also likes soup, which is easy enough. You can bring it in a dish or a thermos, or you can buy prepackaged soups to bring. I also like the idea of a fancy salad. You could have all of the salad fixins on hand and then throw on some shredded cheese, some cubed or torn up meat (like a chef salad) or grilled chicken (we grill chicken, chop it and freeze it for quicker use in dinners/lunches). We also pre-make burritos and similar things, which we freeze. He could take that and nuke it at work. I love them! There are also some easy pasta dishes you could pre-make and freeze (lasagna, ravioli, etc) that can easily be nuked. And my husband can always eat things like hot pockets or frozen dinners too.

pritchettzoo
01-06-2004, 06:47 PM
My DH is going to start brown-bagging it more too!

FWIW, the partners at his firm brown-bag way more than the associate attorneys. They bring in big salags and top it with deli meat or grilled chicken, etc. I agree with another poster that presentation would be important if he's eating in the main lunchroom with other people. I don't think a Mickey Mouse lunchbox with a quartered pb&j would cut it to maintain his directorial image! :)

Lean Cuisine frozen pizza is actually rather tasty, and if you packed a side salad, it would be healthy too. You could marinate and grill up a bunch of chicken breasts for sandwiches or salads and have them all week. Pita bread with hummus and veggies, tuna salad, hot dogs...

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

jubilee
01-07-2004, 01:19 AM
I've always packed a lunch for DH and myself (when I worked). I even used to work for a bunch of promenient surgeons and they all packed a lunch... so don't worry about how it looks. My hubby enjoys soup, so he normally takes that or leftovers. But otherwise he will take tuna and crackers, sub sandwich, or even chili dogs. I've even surprised him with ice cream packed into a thermos!

lisaE
01-07-2004, 11:34 AM
Hi.

My DH just went through this same thing. It is hard to think of what to pack in his lunch!

I know you mentioned in a previous post that you like Central Market. They have a lot of nice sandwich and salad options. Their cobb salad is so good, and it's huge. It usually lasts me 2 meals. Also they sell boxed lunches that are good. This can get expensive, though, so I usually but them only occasionally when I feel like DH might be getting into a lunch slump. Check out their individually-sized meals to go (by the deli). Also DH loves it when I just get him a sampling of the different pastas and things like that from the prepared foods section.

He also takes a lot of frozen dinners and leftovers. He's on the South Beach diet now so I always pack things like string cheese and nuts for a snack, along with the occasional yogurt or fruit. I also make him a wrap sometimes. We love Boars Head too!

Is his office moving to the West End or Addison? I used to work near the West End so if it's there, maybe I can offer some more specific suggestions.
Good luck to you.

Lisa

cchavez
01-07-2004, 11:40 AM
He's going to be located in the West End....are there any affordable dining options nearby??? Thanks so much for the suggestions.

cinrein
01-07-2004, 12:07 PM
Me and DH are long time brown baggers. I've found that most people are envious of the salads, sandwiches and leftovers we bring in--especially since they are too lazy to pack a lunch themselves!

DH must never see this thread because I sure as heck don't pack his lunch! :)

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

lisaE
01-07-2004, 01:31 PM
Hi Christine.

I worked in the Uptown area, which is not too far from the West End. I used to eat on McKinney Avenue a lot, there is a deli called P.D. Johnson's that is so good, as a matter of fact, they use Boar's Head too! There is a Chipotle right next to that. Also there is a Chinese delivery place called Hunan Express that is nearby (Cedar Springs and Maple). Their food is really fresh and not greasy at all like the usual Chinese take-out. I miss that place! Also there is an El Fenix down there that has good lunch specials, and DH (of course) likes to go to Hooter's in the West End for wings and sandwiches. I don't know that they have a deal on lunch prices, but they do that punch-card thing, where your fifth or sixth lunch is free. Some day (Wednesday, maybe?) is double-punch day. I've not been there for lunch but I'd bet that ####'s Last Resort has a lunch menu that is decently priced.

That is such an expensive part of town, but don't worry- he will settle in and find some good spots. Not everything down there is ridiculously priced. I love talking about food and restaurants. Dallas had so many good ones. HTH!

Lisa

lisaE
01-07-2004, 01:34 PM
Ha! They censored the name of the restaurant LOL!
Anyway I'm sure you know the one- It's the nickname for Richard.

haha
Lisa

cchavez
01-07-2004, 01:46 PM
Lisa,

Thanks for the suggestions. As for restaurants, DH and I miss going out to eat like we did pre-baby. My birthday is coming up and and we are hoping to go out to dinner so just wondering have you gone to any good places lately? We usually do a nice steak dinner....Pappa's, Del Frisco's but I am thinking about trying Jasper's in Plano????

McQ
01-07-2004, 02:52 PM
I love bringing in leftovers. I always make a little more dinner so I'll have some for lunch. I haven't been able to perfect the gourmet sandwich but one of my friend's wife makes his and it's to die for. The whole lunch table always talks about his sandwich and his reply is "it's made with love".

It drives me bonkers that DH eats out every day even if it's just $7. I pretty much go ballistic when he's working from home yet still goes to Chipotle. How hard is it to get some thing out of the fridge.

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03

new_mommy25
01-07-2004, 03:16 PM
Back when I used to work I used to brownbag it a few days a week to save money too. One of my favorite lunches was pasta salad. Not only is it delicious, but you don't need to heat it up. (My place didn't have a microwave). Another thing I loved was pita's. I'd buy pita bread from tj's and stuff it with lettuce, tomato, cubed cheese like cheddar or jack and yogurt. If I got around to it I'd add black beans or leftover chicken, steak etc. Sometimes I'd use ranch instead of yogurt and add in some bacon. Another thing thats easy like pita's is wraps. I like the colored ones, spinach and tomato etc. You could buy (or make) some herbed cream cheese spread, fill it with chicken, bacon whatever you want. he could eat it cold, or you could make it burrito style and he could microwave it. Since he does have a microwave then I would definetly take leftovers like pasta, roast chicken with rice or mashed potatoes etc. Leftover roast chicken or turkey are excellent because you can do so much. He could take a whole meal with him - turkey, potatoes, gravy, veggies etc, or you can make him a delicious chicken salad sandwich (again you can also use a wrap or pita). The list of options goes on and on.
Lots of people mentioned deli meats. I love stuff like pastrami, egg salad, corned beef, smoked turkey. And I always make sure I have really great bread. Oh another thing I constantly buy is La Brea bread. I'm addicted to that stuff. Taking a roll along with a microwavable meal and a small side sald would be a delicious lunch.

lisaE
01-07-2004, 04:28 PM
Ooh Christine!

Jasper's is my new favorite restaurant. However, I have only been there for lunch a few times. I can imagine that dinner would be even better. They also serve Sunday brunch! Everything I have tried there is awesome. On the appetizer menu, they have what's called "Blue Cheese Potato Chips," which are homemade chips drizzled with this creamy blue cheese sauce. I know they don't sound like much, but wow they are amazing. D Magazine named them "Best Appetizer" or something like that.

Nearby is another delicious restaurant called "Mignon," which serves steaks, seafood etc. and it's also very nice. I don't know if you've been there. The website is mignonplano.com. Sorry I don't know how to post a link. They also serve brunch and it is fantastic. (Are you noticing a trend here?)
Both of these restaurants are just beautiful, great atmosphere, etc.

I know we have gotten slightly off topic here, so I will try to email you with my email add.

Let me know where you end up and happy birthday!
Lisa

Ok I just sent you an email, hopefully it will go through.