PDA

View Full Version : Why?

jec2
01-11-2004, 11:29 PM
Why do I have to clip DS's fingernails at least twice a week, but have not once had to clip his toenails? Why do the fingernails grow so fast and the toenails seemingly not at all?!

jec2
01-13-2004, 06:06 PM
I am beginning to feel like I have "posters plague," if such a thing exists. I won't get paranoid about no replies, however. "I'm good enough, pretty enough, and gosh darn it, people like me, right?"

deborah_r
01-13-2004, 06:10 PM
I'm thinking back to when DS was really young and I think it took a while for his toenails to protrude out to the point of needing to be clipped. They were kind of set down into his toe, so no need to clip then. But they are perfectly normal now - but I still only clip his toenails about every other time I clip his fingernails. The fingernails grow like weeds!

I do them while he watches Baby Mozart and that has been working well for us. It is a pain, isn't it!!

pritchettzoo
01-13-2004, 06:44 PM
You are loved!

I had no idea, so I didn't respond. However, to save you from the dreaded Poster's Plague (dum dum dum--supposed to be scary music, not calling you dumb), I googled it. Apparently fingernails grow at 2 to 3 times the speed of toenails. In babies, it must be a higher rate because I've only clipped DD's toenails once and am constantly working on her little claws. :)

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

jec2
01-13-2004, 07:37 PM
Thanks you two! I'll stop feeling paranoid now! You definately made me stop feeling like a posting loser. And, quenched my curiosity about this matter.

mamahill
01-13-2004, 08:39 PM
I've heard it's related to usage - we use our fingers independently more often than you use your toes (I'm not talking about walking, but like pointing, typing, etc.), hence the nails grow faster.

I've heard it's also related to arm/leg growth. Notice how a baby's arms are longer (proportionately) than the legs. The leg growth picks up once they begin to use them more, and subsequently are stronger because they take more weight.

Again, this is just what I heard, but it makes sense (but then, so did Joey's "moo point" explanation on Friends...;) ).

starrynight
01-13-2004, 09:01 PM
I wish I knew LOL. Eliza scratchs me all the time, even if I just cut her nails!