PDA

View Full Version : Are their ever social situations where it is inappropriate to NIP?

flagger
01-12-2004, 01:10 PM
I came across this long thread on a cruise related website about a woman whose friend was NIP on formal night at the table. The maitre'd approached her and asked if she would be more comfortable elsewhere. She said no amd then got a little miffed that she had been approached. Half of her tablemates didn't even know she was BF'ng at the table.

The reactions from a few said good for her but many of the reactions were that it was innappropriate to do this. If Ms. Flagger had been comfortable doing it in public, I would have supported her anywhere at anytime. After the Disney thread, I don't mean to make this some big fight.

I know of some people who won't nurse in their own house when their parents or in-laws are over. Even Ms. Flagger would go into the bedroom because her mom was not supportive and as I said she was really never comforable NIP. I was just looking for opinions on the matter. Should manners or the feelings of others around be taken into consideration?

sweetbasil
01-12-2004, 01:21 PM
I've NIPd in lots of places (since our trip at Christmas-time, where I was much bolder than ever before), but I'm always modest about it. I'm a little less uptight than I used to be- when my ILs and parents are around, I don't cover all up with a blanket now, as long as my shirt is keeping things covered.

If we have company over that I'm not familiar with, etc., I usually go into the other room to feed DS. I do use a blanket or larger cloth of some sorts to cover when BIL is here, as I know it can be awkward for him and I don't want to make him uncomfortable. Of course, my sister (his wife) hasn't had babies and BFd yet, so the most BFing he's been around is me with DS#1 and now DS#2.

It'll be interesting to see how much more relaxed I get with future babies (er, baby- who knows!) about NIP.

deenass
01-12-2004, 01:38 PM
Please excuse me if I sound angry, I'm just passionate about this situation ....

Would anyone ever tell someone that it was inappropriate to bottle feed a child in public (or in a specific situation?). So why then is it inappropriate to nurse a child in public? And why should a nursing mother have to remove herself from the "goings on" so that her child can eat?

Someone else being "uncomfortable" is someone else's problem. If a mother and her child are comfortable nursing in public it is no one's business but their own.

bluej
01-12-2004, 01:44 PM
My personal opinion is anyone who thinks their need of comfort (not wanting to see someone NIP) has higher priority than that of a hungry baby or a baby that's in need of being soothed, is just incredibely selfish. They don't HAVE to watch. And anyone who would suggest that someone might be more comfortable elsewhere (as in a ladies bathroom) might want to seriously think if THEY want to have their meal there. If she were uncomfortable where she was at, clearly she would have found some place else to nurse. If she's already nursing, I'd say she's plenty comfortable where she is and it's just beyond rude to interrupt what's going on and draw attention to the mother and baby. That said, I don't just whip them out at anytime or anywhere. I have no problems NIP or in front of most family members, however I'm not going to do it in front of DH's colleagues, or in front of a good number of his uncles. His friends, no problem, they all have wives and children and understand what's going on.

I was surprised how my niece reacted when I needed to feed Ryden during family pictures w/ DH's family at Christmas time. There was no other place to go in the studio (it was a big flat w/ different areas, but no real private area other than the dressing room/bathroom and I will NOT feed my baby in a bathroom). I took an overstuffed chair, turned it to face a corner and sat down to start feeding him. She came up to see the baby and Alex said, 'my mom's going to feed him now'. She gave me this disgusting look and said 'you're going to feed him NOW?' I said yes. She went on 'you're going to feed him HERE?' I said yes. She pointed to my breast (which was still covered mind you) and said 'With THAT?' in a tone of utter disgust. She's EIGHT!

deborah_r
01-12-2004, 01:44 PM
There are places and situations where I personally wouldn't NIP, unless I had no other reasonable alternative. I think there was a discussion some time ago about the unwritten rule of going out to dinner with baby/toddler at non-prime times, unless it is a "family" restaurant. I would kind of apply the NIP the same way. I wouldn't want to go out to a restaurant at 8pm and NIP next to tables where couples are having romantic dinners - might be a bit of a mood killer, and I would be very uncomfortable.

I took DS to my company's holiday party and other people did have children there, but I sought out a dark corner to nurse in. I felt like, maybe for some couples there it was an exciting, romantic event (never was for us before DS, but to each his own) and I didn't want to feel like I was putting a damper on things. If I had felt I could have done it completely discreetly, though, I might have stayed at the table, but I know DS would have been popping off the boob and looking around, and I was wearing unfamiliar clothing and bra, so I would not have been comfortable.

SO I don't know that you can really make a list of places/times where NIP is inappropriate, and when you think about it in basic terms, you really are just FEEDING a hungry baby so why should it ever be inappropriate? But I think on some level we have to accept that people are a little freaked out by the possibility of an exposed boob and there may be some situations where it would be best to seek out a secluded spot for nursing.

JMO

drsweetie
01-12-2004, 01:48 PM
>Would anyone ever tell someone that it was inappropriate to
>bottle feed a child in public (or in a specific situation?).
>So why then is it inappropriate to nurse a child in public?

I think it's because we're socialized to view breasts as sexual objects, not as a food source, and therefore anything involving breasts becomes either a source of humor or (pardon me) titillation. As a BFing mom myself, I have long ago ceased to think that way; to me, it's no more exciting than if I had two cans of soup attached to my chest. But I am also a major klutz and can't seem to BF without flashing everyone in the general vicinity, so I do go into the other room so that my family and friends don't see more of me than they're comfortable with.

Ellen
Mom to Laura 6/9/03

sntm
01-12-2004, 01:57 PM
I think others should be considered, but not to the point where one shouldn't NIP. more that one should try to be discreet if possible. so nursing at the table at a formal event, particularly if you try to stay moderately covered up, should be perfectly acceptable. whipping off your shirt on the dance floor and sticking a baby on your boob is a little inappropriate. but even then, you gotta do what you gotta do.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

C99
01-12-2004, 01:59 PM
>Would anyone ever tell someone that it was inappropriate to
>bottle feed a child in public (or in a specific situation?).
>So why then is it inappropriate to nurse a child in public?
>And why should a nursing mother have to remove herself from
>the "goings on" so that her child can eat?

While I agree with this, wholeheartedly, and was (and still am) unabashed about NIP, I think that there are some times that you should take into account other people's feelings and comfort levels. I understand that as a mom, yes, it's my perogative to put my child's needs first, but I don't think it necessarily precludes thinking about anyone else. I do think there are situations where obvious NIP would be rude. For example, I can't imagine nursing in church, or during the church services of a wedding or funeral.

lisams
01-12-2004, 02:09 PM
IMO, wherever it is appropriate to bottle feed, it is appropriate to breastfeed. I mean really, they both have nipples :)

I personally like to find a private place because I enjoy it more and DD is more focussed on her job when there aren't distractions.

Lisa

bluej
01-12-2004, 02:18 PM
LOL! I guess I always assume that the mother is trying to be discreet, but I guess I shouldn't assume that b/c I'm willing to bet there's a good chance that the dance scenerio you described probably has happened!

Jeanne
01-12-2004, 02:47 PM
I think women should use their judgement as to their comfort level. It seems that the more crowded a place is, the less likely anyone is to notice anyway. I have no problem with it regardless of location. I will not stand in a dirty public restroom unless I'm desperate. I have always been discreet even when in a very public place (TGI Fridays at the table on 5th Ave in NYC on a Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend). I dive under cover to get a latch and then people rarely even know there's a baby under there. I get really miffed at people who do feel it's inappropriate. Are they the same people who think it is appropriate to let their 10 year old daughter worship Brittney and Christina? Or buy shorts/sweats with lettering across the butt that serves one purpose (to stare at a young girl's butt)? Why is that okay yet nursing isn't? Thankfully I have never been approached but if I were to be, you can bet I'd voice my opinion loud and clear.

lukkykatt
01-12-2004, 03:06 PM
Everyone has raised good points. I guess my first reaction though was to wonder why this woman brought a baby to the formal night? I know if something is that formal and fancy, I tend to think it is not the place for me to be with a baby. Likewise, I don't appreciate it when I have paid for a baby sitter and go to a fancy restaurant and someone else has brought their children.

BTW, I BF both my boys - I am not anti BF. Just more wondering if there are some times that people should make a choice of not going or hiring a sitter, if the event is truly formal.

deborah_r
01-12-2004, 03:19 PM
Excellent point, Andrea! I totally agree.

BTW, for my company's holiday party, I originally said I could not go because I did not have a babysitter, and they told me I should come and bring the baby because others would be doing the same. And most of us with babies were out of there by 8pm, leaving plenty of non-baby time for people to party!

MelissaTC
01-12-2004, 03:27 PM
This is a good discussion.

I NIP but it was certain places. It was really about my comfort level. I could have cared less what other people thought.

Having said that, I wouldn't nurse a baby at the table at a formal night on a cruise. Having gone on a cruise where every night was semi-formal, I wouldn't think it was very appropriate. Nor would I nurse at a funeral. My DH is in the Knights of Columbus and I actually had to excuse myself during the ceremony because DS needed to nurse and was crying. Being the klutz that I am, I had trouble figuring out how to latch DS on without showing my breast to the entire K of C and the grand Knight & our priest. I was never able to be on the computer and nurse or even use the remote control at the same time as nursing!

When I first started nursing, I was a little uncomfortable. No one but a very selected and privileged (Ha!) group of people had ever seen my breasts. As DS got older and we got into the groove of things, I felt more comfortable. When my DH, Mom or sisters were around, I didn't use a blanket and sometimes didn't wear a shirt. When my Dad or in-laws were around, I used a blanket. My Dad felt uncomfortable when he caught a glimpse of my breast one time and man, it was WEIRD. I didn't want my FIL staring at me so that is when the blanket came in.

Sorry to go off on a tangent...I miss nursing now :( Time to have another baby I guess...

to answer the question : I wouldn't and think there are times when *I* would feel uncomfortable. But that is just me ;)

parkersmama
01-12-2004, 03:31 PM
With each child, I have become progressively more willing to NIP. With Amy Grace, I will nurse her just about anywhere because we are always on the go! Sort of the nursing equivalent to having a granola bar! LOL!

Anyway, I agree with whoever said that it is appropriate to NIP anywhere that it's appropriate to bottlefeed. But, honestly, even though that's how I feel it's not exactly what I practice personally. I haven't nursed during a church service and would feel pretty uncomfortable doing that. Our church meets in our fellowship hall and we sit in the most uncomfy chairs! My legs are short and I have trouble getting both feet comfortably on the ground which would make nursing very difficult! I also wouldn't nurse during a wedding or funeral. Also, I think nursing around my colleagues or dh's is mostly off-limits.

Although I do think it's important to consider other people's feelings on this issue, I also think it's important to consider the mother's feelings. Is it right to expect her to leave the room to nurse if she doesn't want to when a bottlefeeding mom wouldn't have to leave? Is it right that nursing means you have to miss the few adult conversations you might be privy to? I think it's probably most appropriate to ask, "Would you mind if I nurse her?" Hopefully, the reaction will be "sure!" but if not, it might be more comfortable anyway in another room. And I don't know about the rest of you, but if I feel like I'm under scrutiny or being scowled at, it's not exactly like there's a flowing milk fountain!! I'm too uptight and that makes her uptight and it's all downhill from there....

flagger
01-12-2004, 03:50 PM
>I guess my first reaction though was to wonder why this woman brought a baby to the formal night? I know if something is that formal and fancy, I tend to think it is not the place for me to be with a baby.

The cruiselines was Royal Caribbean which sells itself as a family cruise vacation. We are looking at using a sitter who works for housekeeping for the cruiseline for our Alaska cruise for a night in the specialty restaurant, but still not sure because we have only left Cocoa with a sitter that we knew very well three times since she has been born.

I don't want to argue this point with anyone, but as they are charging full third passenger fare for Cocoa both of our upcoming cruises, I would think nothing of bring her to dinner in the main dining room no matter the suggested dresscode of the evening. Of course, if she acts up, we would be good parents and remove ourselves.

I do of course respect your opinion.

barbarhow
01-12-2004, 03:54 PM
I personally will BF pretty much anywhere. I have learned to do so in a fairly modest manner but will also ask if people mind if I do. No one has ever said that they minded and quite frankly I'm not sure what I would do if someone said that they did. Probably tell them too bad? (Not really). I think that there are some exceptions when people do mind and are uncomfortable. Some of those times I don't really care if the person is uncomfortable but there are circumstances where I would feel terrible for making someone feel uncomfortable. This came up in a prior thread about someone nursing at a baby shower. One of the posters mentioned a history of sexual abuse and discomfort with the nudity. Unfortunately it is impossible to know everyones history in the room and I think for me the best answer is to continue what I am doing in the most discreet manner possible.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

toomanystrollers
01-12-2004, 04:14 PM
If I feel comfortable bringing 'lil dd here with me than I have no reservations about NIP. We don't do semi/formal events with the children in tow unless it's a family wedding - and most of my female relatives have bf'ed, so fortunately it's no big bruhahah.

It's a sad commentary on how "disgusting" some members of society view breastfeeding.

Just my thoughts :)

Sarah1
01-12-2004, 04:21 PM
I agree with Andrea (lukkykatt) that the issue seems to be LESS about NIP (when done tactfully, I don't think anyone really notices) than it is having a baby/child in an inappropriate social situation.

If this cruise really is advertised as a family vacation, I don't see a problem. But at a nice restaurant--a NICE restaurant--I have to admit, it irritates me to see people bringing babies and small children for dinner. I think lunch, brunch, breakfast is fine...but something about evenings, nice restaurants & babies (not to mention NIP) don't mix.

JulieL
01-12-2004, 04:27 PM
First I want to say that I proudly BFed my son for 9 months.

I went on a criuse where there were formal nights and here is my thoughts. First the tables were all round so many people could get a veiw of the table. And second formal nights on a cruise boat are quite the affair. One of the formal nights was the cuisine show off night (not sure what they actually called it). The cheifs spend something like 24 hours carving the food and ice sculpters. You could actually go up to the tables before eating and veiw the amazing art. This is as about as upscale as you can get. My thought is that I would take my toddler out of the dinner room if he caused a distraction and so would I if I needed to BF. BFing or quieting a hyper toddler is just that a distraction. Just like a cell phone is a really annoying distraction. People pay a load of money, not to mention the excitement waiting for this special night. I would feel aweful if I ruined it for anyone. And quite frankly in a cruise boat there are something like 10 lounge areas (depending on the boat - some are even bigger than that) where the mom could easily scoot out BF in an lounge area then come back in. I would do that if I needed to BF or calm my toddler down. This is a special experiance for a ton of people. This is not a family event where you know those around you. So I say take it outside then come back in. I think BFing is wonderful and I will do it again but you really do need to think of others.

Sarah1
01-12-2004, 04:33 PM
Flagger--

While I think it totally appropriate to have a child at the table if if is INDEED a family cruise, I think you and Mrs. Flagger owe it to yourselves to have one or two Cocoa-free dinners. Now, I'm sure Cocoa is a lovely dining companion, but I doubt you can have a leisurely meal with her at the table.

Also, hopefully you'll be sitting with people who don't mind that there's a baby at the table. Does RC match families up with families at tables? Just thinking, if you're at the same table w/honeymooners, Cocoa might not be such a hit, cute as she is.

If this reassures you at all, we used a babysitting service (through the hotel) on our vacation in California last summer. Of course, we were at first nervous to leave her with this person who was essentially a perfect stranger to us (and we use babysitters a lot), but she worked out great and we ended up using her 3 nights of our vacation.

It would be even less stressful in your situation, seeing as you'd be just a minute's walk from the room, if Cocoa needed you. And I'm sure SHE'd do fine with the sitter...it's the parents who have the most difficulty :)

Piglet
01-12-2004, 04:51 PM
Not that I am trying to equate the two, but all this talk about how natural NIP is, reminded me of when I worked in a cafe at the till and suddenly looked over to see a lady changing her son's diaper on the cafe table! Ewwww - people eat there! I told my boss and he told the lady that it was unacceptable from a health and safety perspective. She looked at him quite disgustedly for denying her this basic right. Now bear in mind the bathroom, with full changing table was about 15 feet away.

The only reason I mention this, is that while I NIPed and was quite adamant that I would never feed my son in a bathroom (anymore than anyone should change their son at a dinner table, LOL), I was discreet and considerate of others. I have friends that had never had kids and their spouses over and nursed DS a bunch, but always covered up. I am sorry to say that it is not like bottle feeding that way - you don't expect anyone to cover up when bottle feeding. There is a reason for that and it makes sense when considering modesty for the mom. It is not about denying your baby's nourishment. I would not run around with my top off any other time in my life, why now? I am now picturing Shannon's dancing floor scenario and laughing. I guess that's just me and my inhibitions.

Jeanne
01-12-2004, 05:04 PM
I agree with everyone's advice here. I wouldn't bring my girls to a nice restaurant. I would never expose myself to anyone even if I didn't have a problem with their exposure. I think you have to use good judgement as to your location. If you absolutly cannot find a more private place, then be discreet. I had the experience of having to nurse while in Church this past Christmas Eve. Both upstairs and downstairs were packed as was the vestibule. We were there for just over two hours (Children's mass - had to get there early to get a seat)and although I brought a big bottle, Claire still wanted more. There was absolutly no where to go so I walked to the back, excused myself to all those standing in the back and went into the confessional. It was completly black behind the velvet curtain so although those who saw me go in knew what I was doing, I can't imagine offending anyone by doing that. It was pouring outside so going to the car wasn't an option either. Desperate times...

flagger
01-12-2004, 05:10 PM
And everyone says it really will be no vacation bring a 15 month old and then an 18 month old on a cruise. Our personal take is that we literally travelled the world by ourselves for over 10 years. We cannot imagine at this time not spending a vacation without her.

I know how important it is for the sanity of the parents to get time off, but yes both of these cruises are family cruises. We are however going at times when there will be less families because of being back to school, etc. We have never cruised before so we really don't know what to expect.

We do know the line we are going to Alaska on has four adults only cruises per year. There are also others that do not cater or market themselves to families.

flagger
01-12-2004, 05:14 PM
I tend to agree with those who say if a bottle was appropriate why should breastfeeding be any less. I am sure the maitre'd is juggling 100's of other responsibilities and who knows if someone complained or if he noticed and approached the woman. I also have little problem with someone bringing a baby to a nice restaurant. It is usually the hellion toddlers or better yet their parents who allow them to run around the restaurant.

Now I could never imagine changing a diaper at a dining room table just like I cannot imagine telling someone to go eat in the bathroom. I don't even set Cocoa down on fast food or any counters for that matter when paying because the thought just grosses me out.

Sarah1
01-12-2004, 06:08 PM
It is usually the
>hellion toddlers or better yet their parents who allow them to
>run around the restaurant.

Remember, Flagger, that by the time you go on these cruises Cocoa will BE a toddler :)

Not to say that you'd let her run around :)...but things get much trickier as toddlerhood rears its ugly head.

MinnieMouse
01-12-2004, 06:21 PM
Flagger:

I have read the entire thread at the other site...and even posted rather early one but bowed out when it became a mud slinging event. I also posted in the banning childrent under 24mo post there as well.

I think it's important to point out that it was discussed that the mom in that position on the ship had their 7mo in a sling with a blanket over them...so it was definitely discreet....but I digress.

We are leaving on Wednesday to do a back to back on Carnival's Imagination. My sister works on the ship and my father is going as well so it will definitely be a family event!

Bethany is 2.5yo...so a bit older than your dd, but I would have felt no compunction whatsoever taking her last year instead of this year. I've done a lot of research in a very short time (we found out we were going on the cruise on Christmas Day)...and this is what we decided...although I know you will be in a different situation due to age and the line you are sailing....

We are going to try and use Camp Carnival for 1-2hrs a day so Beth has a chance to play w/ other kids and do some fun activities. For dinner we plan on having her dress and sit with us for the beginning of the meal. Have them bring her meal out with the first course and once she is finished bring her over to Camp Carnival for the remainder of dinner. From what I understand Camp Carnival also has some "dinners" for the kids as well. We are going to play it by ear to see how Beth does with it.

We plan on taking Beth on some excursions that SHE will find interesting and enjoy. We are going to Key West, Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios. Key West we are just going to take the trolley and wander around. Cozumel I think we are going to "Passion Island" on an excursion. It's a beach w/ lunch included in the excursion...we have a strict budget so this is appealling. In Grand Cayman we are looking at the general tour that hits the Turtle Farm which Beth will love as well as a Submarine ride which will allow her to see all the fish (Nemo has been a favorite for months) w/o swimming w/ them.

For Ocho Rios this is the only stop that we are contemplating leaving Beth with Camp Carnival for. Dh and I really want to climb the falls. We were married in Ocho Rios while on a cruise in 2000 and were busy getting married so we couldn't climb the falls ( I would pick doing the wedding over the falls again in a second...but you get the idea). Depending on how Beth does with the whole Camp Carnival thing we will leave her with them...otherwise, my sister and dad will be on the boat so we have an option there as well. Although dad hasn't stayed with Beth by himself yet...and sis has to work occasionally when we are there :-).

That is what OUR plans are with a child on the cruise. If Beth gets really loud in the dining room we would remover her. If she was 7mo and I needed to nurse her...I wouldn't hesitate to do so right there (assuming I could w/ whatever I was wearing). As long as it's discrete I don't have a problem w/ it at all. If you read through some of the posts on the other site....the mother's table companions didn't even know she was nursing...and THEY were the ones that encouraged her to note the incident on her comment card.

I hope this helps in some way??? I know I rambled on a bit.

Christine

khakismom
01-12-2004, 06:27 PM
Our entire family is going on a Royal Caribbean cruise this May with my parents, brother and SIL, and I fully intend to bring both of my kids to the formal dinner (they will be 11 months and 3 years at the time). Obviously we will remove either of them if there is any misbehaving. :)

Melanie
01-12-2004, 06:30 PM
I don't think it is ever inappropriate to NIP. That does not mean that I am comfortable with ME doing it in all situations. Like for some reason, don't ask me why, I don't think I would in church. I'd probably go in their little crying room. I'd never go into a bathroom to nurse instead of NIP, though. That's not a message I'm going to send.

No, I don't think the feelings of others should be taken into consideration over the nourishment of my child. However, that does not mean that I might not go into another room if I am uncomfortable with great-uncle Perv watching or something like that. LOL. It all depends.

If a maitre d' approached me about going somewhere else, he'd get more than miffed. I'm not a sue-happy person, nor have I actually ever SUED anyone (not even the a-hole doctor who botched my eye surgeries and deserves it), but the owners would definitely be hearing about it from me.

flagger
01-12-2004, 06:52 PM
All I can say is that that thread makes the one here a few months about about the woman at Disney look very very tame. There are some real mudslingers out there. I think the post very early in that put the OP on the defensive was the one who said "Public BF is VERY RUDE IMHO".

We had been taking a trip every anniversary until our 7th and I knew she had always wanted to go on a cruise. I told her I would do Alaska only if I could find a balcony. I started looking into it and didn't know anything about who operated in Alaska other than HAL. Well cruising with older passengers didn't bother me one bit (most of HAL's clientelle for those who do know know is referred to as the wheelchair and oxygen set) A TA suggested Celebrity so we looked at fares for them all and went with the best price.

Then I got so excited about the cruise. Then after we found out we were going to Texas, I was in the TA's office and saw a Brochure from Royal Caribbean and saw they have a ship leaving out of Galveston. So I booked another cruise for our actual anniversary next year. We are even going to renew our vows at sea on our actual date. There is one advantage in that if we find it too difficult or I hate cruising I can cancel and still get all of our money back after the Alaskan cruise. We have over a month after until final payment is due.

The other bonus or detriment depending on how you look at it, is that her parents may come with us on that second cruise so we would have a built in babysitter.

kransden
01-12-2004, 06:58 PM
I had a friend that went with us to a "old folks" breakfast place. EVERYONE HAD to walk by our table to leave the non-smoking section. She whipped out her huge tit with a very dark nipple in front of all the 80 plus year old men and their wives. I asked her if she wanted her shawl or to switch chairs. So everyone wouldn't HAVE to look at her. She merrily declined. We were horrified. It was flat rude especially when moving 3 chairs over would have given her plenty of privacy. She was doing it on purpose to be scandalous. She was never invited back to lunch again. Two of us are bfing moms. So we are very pro breast, but I don't feel the need to force people to stare at my breast, and I think being considerate of others just makes life a little better for all of us.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

lizajane
01-12-2004, 07:11 PM
i haven't read every response, only the first few... but here is my take. i will NIP almost anywhere. i do not think woman should ever be asked to "go somewhere else" to nurse. so i agree with the remark about not asking mothers to bottle feed in the bathroom... BUT i also agree wtih "if it is appropriate to bottle feed, it is appropriate to breasfeed." and here is why- it is appropriate for your baby to be there, it is appropriate to feed your baby (in whatever manner you prefer, including from a jar, a snack container, a plate...)

but it isn't always appropriate to take your baby with you. just like it is not appropriate to wear a bathing suit to a black tie wedding, it is not appropriate to take your baby to a black tie wedding. (unless he was invited on the invitation, but i would still hesitate to bring him) and that is because you wouldn't want to take attention away from the bride by showing up half naked. and you wouldn't want to take away from a special ceremony by having your baby cry in the middle of it, and you wouldn't want to force your baby to stay awake well past his bedtime to go to an event. it isn't fair to the bride or the baby.

so, yes, it is inappropriate to nurse your baby at a black tie wedding to which he was not invited because he shouldn't be there in the first place. but it is appropriate to nurse your baby at the mall, at a family gathering, out to dinner, in a park... because he is welcome at all of those places.

khakismom
01-12-2004, 07:12 PM
Flagger, you're right. That thread is nasty. I'm appalled at some of the thoughts expressed by people about NIP and kids on cruises. I am staying away...

Your 2 cruises sound great--I'm sure you will have so much fun with Cocoa! And renewing your vows is wonderful----what a special trip! :)

We leave May 18th on Royal Caribbean for the western Caribbean--myself, DH, Kathleen, Ellen, my parents, brother, and SIL. Cannot wait!! Parents have promised lots of babysitting so hopefully they will come thru. They are actually putting Kathleen in their room, so we will only have Ellen. Plus they are getting the family suite with the balcony so at least I can get some sun while Ellen is napping. :)

barbarhow
01-12-2004, 09:41 PM
Beautifully stated Liza.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

stillplayswithbarbies
01-12-2004, 10:40 PM
In my opinion, it is appropriate to nurse a baby anywhere it is appropriate for a baby to be. Just like it is appropriate to bottle-feed a baby anywhere it is appropriate for a baby to be.

It's just silly the way we see breasts as only sexual objects in this country. Their purpose is for feeding babies. If they weren't for feeding babies, they would not be so attractive to men in the first place. (the whole thing about being attracted to a mate who can assure the survival of your offspring)

I have nursed everywhere - at dinner with my husband and his boss, at the airport with my colleagues while on a business trip, in my office at work, at restaurants, train stations, airplanes, on the beach, in my front yard, while going through the security line at the airport. . . and probably some more I can't think of now.

They're babies. They get hungry. Mothers feed them. So what.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

JulieL
01-13-2004, 01:34 PM
I did the Celebrity Alaskan cruise summer of 2001 and it was great! I was a wonderful trip. We got a room with a balcony and it made all the difference in the world because although nice cruise bedrooms are small! Hope you have fun!

sntm
01-13-2004, 01:53 PM
They are charging you a full rate??? Doesn't sound THAT family friendly!! Definitely load up at the buffet on her behalf.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

Melanie
01-13-2004, 03:03 PM
It seems wrong to charge full-price for a child who will barely eat, if at all, isn't going to take up an extra room (I'm assuming)...I can understand how airlines could charge full-price since a child is taking up a seat they could have sold otherwise, but I can't believe a cruise would charge full-price. That's family unfriendly.

Oh, and Flagger, to those who said you won't be getting a vacation b/c you are taking her with you - *eyeroll* Obviously you know what you're doing is right. How sad that people would suggest you & the Mrs. do something so lovely and exclude your daughter from the memory.

Momof3Labs
01-13-2004, 04:46 PM
I find it interesting that a person or two compared a nursing baby to a disruptive toddler. I fully agree that there are places where children don't belong, and there are places where disruptive children don't belong. But I don't agree that a nursing baby is disruptive - the only disruptive thing is what goes through a small number of people's heads while I am nursing. They must be thinking about my boob (because they certainly couldn't see it) - shame on them! I'd hate to know what they were thinking when they looked at my pregnant belly!!

And there are definitely places where *I* would not NIP because I am not comfortable with it, like around my work colleagues and in front of my FIL.