PDA

View Full Version : How to make the best waffles : Waffle Iron AND recipes.

etwahl
01-13-2004, 03:17 PM
i was given a waffle iron several years ago as a gift and it didn't work AT ALL. everything stuck to it, even after several tries and several differing methods.

i want to get a new one (i threw the old one away). my neighbor said williams sonoma had great waffle irons. anyone else?

what about good waffle recipes? i love waffles and MISS them. we don't have good breakfast places in this town, so want to start making them again!

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

egoldber
01-13-2004, 03:32 PM
The key to making great waffles is to separate the eggs and beat the egg whites to stiff peaks before folding them into the rest of the batter. Personally, I have no patience for this :) , so DH is the waffle maker in our house. We have a very inexpensive waffle iron that we got at Macy's from our wedding registry (oh so long ago), so I'm not personally convinced that more expensive waffle irons are necessarily better. What a more expensive waffle iron will get is one that makes more waffles at once and maybe browns them more evenly. But I assure you that DH's waffles are about the scrummiest I have ever had. And we just use the recipe that came with the waffle iron!

HTH,

peanut4us
01-13-2004, 03:52 PM
Yum! DH makes the best whole wheat waffles. I'll find out his recipe tonight if you like.

pritchettzoo
01-13-2004, 04:29 PM
In line with the other posters, I think you need a Y chromosome to make waffles. My dad makes great ones. DH hasn't tried since Gracie was born--maybe the secret is that you need to be a daddy to make good ones...

As far as everything sticking to it, were you greasing the surface? Even the nonstick surfaces need to be "seasoned" every once in a while--usually each use. Just a thought...

Oh, and the brand of waffle maker? My dad uses some cheap old one, and he's made good waffles on our cheap one (from Target).

As far as recipes go, my dad uses Bisquick with buttermilk and they are tasty. Rachael Ray made some "Belgian" waffles the other day and they looked really yummy. Here's a link: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_23097,00.html

Mmmmmm...waffles...

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

miki
01-13-2004, 04:51 PM
I just have a cheap-o waffle iron and it works fine. Your recipe needs a lot of butter in it or you need to spray the cooking surface -- both sides! -- with something like Pam. I've used recipes from Martha's website and also pre-mixed stuff from the supermarket. Make a whole big batch and freeze what you don't eat. You can pop the frozen ones in the toaster some other time and they are almost as good.

NancyJ_redo
01-13-2004, 06:42 PM
We have two waffle irons - a cheap one (Target) and a semi-cheap one (Target). The cheap one doesn't brown evenly - we have to stack cans on top of it to apply enough pressure across the surface of it. The semi-cheap one works great, but we can't figure out where we put it when we moved last year, so now we're stuck with partially browned waffles. We always use the Krusteaz powder mix from Costco in the huge bag because it's low in fat, I can't remember how much but it seems negligible. They taste pretty good, but not great - I'm sure I'd never eat them again if I had REAL waffles.

Sarah1
01-13-2004, 06:49 PM
Williams-Sonoma sells a waffle maker that makes waffles in farm animal shapes! It's called the farmyard waffler, I believe. My sister got it for us for the holidays...I haven't used it yet, but I love the idea that it makes farm animals. I know when DD gets older she'll get a big kick out of that.

mandye
01-14-2004, 02:34 PM
This is my favorite waffle recipe( warning: it uses a lot of bowls):

Sour Cream Waffles
1 c. melted butter or margarine
4 eggs
2 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 c. sour cream
1 c. milk

Melt the butter and set aside. Mix flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder in a separate bowl and set aside. Mix the sour cream and milk in a separate bowl and set aside. In a large bowl, beat the eggs until light. Add flour mixture and milk mixture alternately to eggs until all is mixed. Add butter and mix well. Pour into waffle iron.

As far as the iron goes, ours is a Toastmaster brand (read: cheap) and we love it.

Mandy