PDA

View Full Version : Need dried beans recipes!!

mamahill
01-14-2004, 01:39 AM
Ok, I have a bunch of #10 cans of dried beans (white, pinto, pink, etc.) that I need to donate or use. I'd rather use them since I *have* them and our budget could take the relief. But, I only have 2 recipes that call for dried beans (and one of them is for black - which is NOT one I have canned at the moment).

PLUS, I've stuck myself in the middle of the SBD so beans/protein are my friend. AND, I got a lovely new pressure cooker for Christmas that I'd like to use.

Soooo, anyone got some good bean recipes? I'd prefer them w/out pasta and rice (or at least so they can be served over said carbohydrates), but I can adapt them. I was thinking I wanted a good chili recipe. What else can I do with a ton of beans?

ps - Ainsleigh LOVES them, so there's another vote for more beans!

kalebsmama
01-14-2004, 09:12 AM
Sarah, our grocery packs up a mix of dried beans and puts this recipe for ham and bean soup in with the beans. I'm sure you could use whatever beans you have.
4 cups mixed beans (1/2 cup each pinto beans, navy beans, lentils, red kidney beans, split peas, black beans, black-eyed peas, lima beans)
2 TBSP salt
4 quarts water
ham bone or 2 ham hocks
2 large onions, sliced
2-16oz cans diced tomatoes
1 large red bell pepper, chopped (optional, but good)
1 clove garlic
juice of 1 lemon
pinch of ginger
salt and pepper to taste

Wash and sort beans, discarding any small pebbles or withered beans. Place in a large kettle. Add water 3-4 times the amount of beans. Stir in the salt, cover, and soak overnight.
Drain beans. Add 4 quarts (16 cups) water, ham bone, and onions. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer, and cook for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Remove ham bone and take meat off, cutting it into bite-size pieces.
Add ham pieces and remaining ingredients. Simmer until ready to serve. Soup may be frozen.

We just had this the last couple of nights and it is really good. A lady from church likes to add a little cider vinegar - she puts some on the table and you can add to your own bowl. It sounds wierd, but it is good. Just a little goes a long way!
DH made this Sunday and as I walked in the door from the grocery, he says "I forgot to ask you to buy the Beano" Oh no!!
Hope you like it.

liya
01-14-2004, 10:37 AM
Ok ive got some here that maybe worth it LMK if you want all of them so i can email them to you.........

I have :

1. BEEF AND BEAN SOUP(no carbs here if you take out the carrots)
2.Garbanzo Been and vegetable salad(which you can sub for white beans)
3. Herbed chichen and bean salad
4. Baked Beans
5.Bean and beef(which i guess you could sub for the leaner meats) salad
6. Spaguetti Squash with Turkey Chili
7. Southwest Stuffed Peppers (substitute corn for red beans) *** i made this for the SB guests i had for xmas they LOVED IT..
8. Stuffed Corn Squash with Turkey(or lean ground beef) and pink beans.
9. Vegetable Bean with Hamp Soup
10. Grilled Chicken with Bean Salsa
11. Cassoulet(YUMMY i substitute the cubed pork for chicken or turkey)
12. SOuthwester Stuffed Squash
13. Curried Lentils and veggies(im sure you can substitue the lentils if you dont have any)
14 Cajun Beans
15. Ministrone(just leave out the shell pasta and sub for egg noodles)
16. Veggie Chili(no meat here..LOL)
17. MIxed Bean Soup

And thats all she wrote....LOL :)

mamahill
01-14-2004, 12:41 PM
Oooh Linda! I KNEW you'd have the answers! Really, I'd like them all, but I don't want you to type ALL of them up, so if I have to choose I'll take:

1. Beef & Bean Soup
2. Garbanzo Bean and Vegetable Salad
4. Baked Beans
7 Southwest Stuffed Peppers (with the red beans - sounds yummy)
11. Cassoulet!!
14. Cajun Beans
17. Mixed Bean Soup

mmmm - now I'm excited I have a gazillion beans.

And thanks, Jan - duh, I didn't even THINK about making my own bean mix (although I mix the canned undry beans all the time). Fantastic idea - thanks for the recipe!

papal
01-14-2004, 03:04 PM
You can use them in an Indian style recipe.

1. Soak the beans in plenty of water overnight.
2. Throw out that water, put fresh water and cook in pressure cooker.
(if you are in a hurry, eliminate the soak part and go straight to pressure cooking).

Ok, now the beans are ready.
For the curry:
Cut up an onion into small pieces... fry them over a low heat in some vegetable oil till they are almost brown. Then add some minced ginger and garlic. Fry for some more time. Then add some chopped up tomatoes (skin and all). Fry for some more time till the tomatoes kind of 'dissolve' and oil starts leaving the sides of them. If the curry starts getting too brown add some water and scrape up the stuff that is sticking to the pan (preferable a stick and not a non-stick one). Add the beans and some water (if you want more gravy). Add salt and garam masala (if you have) and chilli powder (if you like). To make it extra yummy add some sour cream before you shut off the heat. Tastes good with some lime juice and cilantro as a garnish.
Eat with steamed rice or tortillas... mmm... might make some myself today. :)

hth

mamahill
01-14-2004, 05:06 PM
That sounds fantastic, but please be a little more specific:) - say I'm using a pound of beans (any beans? or should they be lentils?), how many tomatoes? How much garam masala and chili powder? I know, I know - probably just "however much you want." I have a love/hate relationship with that kind of cooking - I love cooking that way, but when it comes to new recipes from friends, I hate when I don't know what I'm doing. I've had to experiment with my feijoada (brazilian black bean and meat stew) recipe over the years and I'm only feeling like NOW it's getting good (but it's never the same twice!).

Ooh, and if you don't mind me asking, a while ago I had Lamb Korma (I think that was what it was) at an Indian Restaurant and it was just about the best thing I've ever had (besides my old standby - Chicken Tikka Masala). Any chance you have a recipe for that? Most of my Indian friends are vegetarians.

Thanks!

papal
01-14-2004, 05:16 PM
these are approximate measures..

for a cup or a cup and a half of beans (that makes a lot because they absorb water and expand) i would use 1 or 2 medium red onions (you cant go wrong with onions when they are fried really well.. they also form the base of the gravy so the more is the better imo. :) ), about a teaspoon of minced or grated ginger.. a little less than that of garlic and about 2-4 tomatoes (once again a gravy base and you cannot go wrong with more.. just make sure they cook down well). Garam masala--about a teaspoon (this will be the spice part so depends on taste) and chilli powder about half a teaspoon (once again to taste). Salt about 2-3 teaspoons (i think.. i always taste and then add more if required).

This curry sounds like your feijoada ... it never tastes the same twice... :)

can't help u on the lamb korma front... we just go out for stuff like that.. it NEVER turns out good at home (probably because we skimp on all that oil/butter/cream to cut down calories). A good website for indian recipes is bawarchi.com. There are recipes there contributed by real people.

Good luck and let me know how the beans turn out!

What type of lentils are u using and what kind of recipe do u want with them (anything you have eaten at a restaraunt?).
We get most of our proteins are from lentils (or daals as we call them). If you go to an indian store get Toor (or Tuvar) dal. You just need to pressure cook it with water (2.5 times) and a couple of tomatoes. Once its done.. add salt and it tastes yummy with rice.

mamahill
01-14-2004, 05:53 PM
Oooh - thank you! Mmmm. Yeah, I've made a couple dishes at home but I'd prefer just to order it so that 1)saves me work, and 2)tastes better. LOVE cream:). Thanks for the web site, though - I'll go hunt around.

I had some plain old lentils from the grocery store - DH bought them a while ago when he cooked me our Anniversary dinner, complete with Tandoori Chicken, a rice dish with lentils, peas and I can't remember what else (very fragrant, though), nan, some vegetable and then an Indian pudding of sorts. The pudding was really great, but it made a TON. We were eating it for days (and it tasted way better warm).

It would be easy for me to get daals since there are Indian markets sprinkled all over. Maybe I'll have to pick some up.

papal
01-14-2004, 06:08 PM
ok, VERY impressed with your dh for making such a fab annic dinner.. woweee! you are a lucky gal!

mamahill
01-14-2004, 06:21 PM
LOL, he does it twice a year - Valentine's and our anniversary. But I've got to hand it to him - he does a great job. He searches online for recipes, does the shopping and preparing himself and then (the best part!) cleans up. It started when, for our first anniversary he asked what I wanted and I (jokingly, at the time) said, "A nice dinner at home where YOU do all the cooking." This year we're celebrating our 5th anniversary - woohoo!

mandye
01-15-2004, 03:39 PM
Here is one I got from my mom--it is a family favorite.

Chalupa
4 lb pork loin roast
1 lb pinto beans
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp oregano
1 small can (4 oz) green chilies, diced
1 tbsp salt
corn or tortilla chips, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, olives, onions

Wash and soak beans overnight. Put roast, beans (drained), garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, chilies, and salt in a large pan and cover with water. Cook, covered, over low heat, adding water as needed. After 6 hours, take out bones and break up meat with a fork. Cook with lid off until thick (about 1 hour). Serve with chips, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, olives. This is a great slow cooker recipe!

mandy

mamahill
01-15-2004, 05:36 PM
Oh YUM!! Question, though - I thought I pork loin roast was boneless? Or am I thinking tenderloin? I get center-cut pork loin roasts at Costco in the multi-pack. But I'm thinking I'd need something with a little more fat (they ones I get are really lean). Would a shoulder roast be interchangeable with that? Maybe I'll just take a closer look at pork loin roasts and find one with bones. Mmm - this sounds delicious!