PDA

View Full Version : How often do you get together with other moms/dads/babies?

deborah_r
01-15-2004, 01:33 PM
My current schedule is Tuesday mornings to Mommy & Me (he's going to be too old for that within a month or so I think) and Thursay mornings playgroup. I frequently can't make it to the playgroup, however, as I sometimes have the car, but more often DH needs it for work (has to go from place to place for meetings sometimes). Today is one of those days, and I'm feeling pretty sad about it.

So I was wondering, how often do you all go out for a specific "baby" activity (other than shopping, errands, etc)

sntm
01-15-2004, 01:36 PM
um, once?

We made it to DC for the BBB zoo get-together. I met a woman at Halloween and we were going to meet up to discuss strollers and let the babies play. Still haven't gotten that scheduled.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

TaChapm2
01-15-2004, 01:40 PM
I'm sad to admit that other than getting together with family DS has no other children to play with. We don't have any friends close by with kids and I stay at home with him so he doesn't have much social interaction. I'm going to have to do something soon though. Hopefully we can get a group together in the Austin area for playdates.

Tara
Mommy to Jackson (11-10-02)

Momof3Labs
01-15-2004, 02:10 PM
Once a week, now that we are going to a park district class. Before that, about once a month. Most of the moms around here work and don't want to do weekend playdates, it seems. Plus, I work part time and have to work around my schedule. But there is a group of us that tries to get together at least every 2 months (we're pretty spread out) though we haven't seen each other for a few months with the holidays and all the bugs the babies have had!

bonbon98
01-15-2004, 02:27 PM
I try to get out at least twice a week with my 2. Our public library offers free storytim/playtime, so we try to go there on Mondays & Thursdays. I don't necesarily know any of the other moms there, but I've gone there enough to recognize them and chit chat with them. A friend from school and I try to get our kids together at least once a month for a playdate, usually at one of our houses. And then every other week, we have playgroup with my multiples club. 1/2 of this stuff is on a "How are we doing this morning" basis and it's definitely a lot easier for us when it's not the dead of winter!!

Bonny
Mom to Evan & Emma 5/7/02

flagger
01-15-2004, 02:28 PM
Every weekday I meet up with a group of moms and walk at the mall. Once a week there is a play date scheduled at either a Burger King play area or at a park. I am really going to miss them when we move.

kristine_elen
01-15-2004, 02:44 PM
We used to go to Gymboree once a week but Jack's nap schedule changed so now we don't go. Seems like all the planned playgroups I know of are right during his morning nap. I don't think we'll do anything on a scheduled basis for quite some time. Most of my friends either don't have kids, or they have kids but work full time. I do try to take him to the library's play area or the play area at the mall at least once every week or two so he can see other kids.

egoldber
01-15-2004, 02:57 PM
Golly, I don't think I could function without a fix 2-3 times a week! My playgroup meets once a week (Friday in the am). I also usually do a mommy&me type thing with the local park&rec once week. And then I have a couple mommy friends with kiddos about the same age that I lunch with maybe once a week.

I've done library story times and things like that occasionally too when we were "between classes", etc.

HTH,

cchavez
01-15-2004, 03:04 PM
I thought I was the only one that did not do anything scheduled w/ their baby. I try to get together w/ a friend every few weeks so that our babies can interact or we go walking w/ them if the weather is nice. But their nap schedules seem to conflict quite a bit. We were going to get together yesterday but her babe was going to sleep just as Diego was waking up. I just sent off for information about a MOMS group in my area so I hope to start that soon. Actually, I have about one play date scheduled each week for the next 3 weeks!

A very good friend of mine and I used to get together more frequently w/ our babies but she moved away about 3 months ago. I have no doubt that if she were still here, we would be getting together 2-3 times a week! I miss her!

Diego has always been quite tempermental and I have always been so protective about his nap schedule b/c he is not a good napper. But now that he is older I feel we both need more interaction w/ other people but I don't want to overschedule anything either.

Oh, we still have not used our gift certificate to the baby gym classes yet but I think I will start up w/ the MOMS group first and then start the gym classes later.

mharling
01-15-2004, 03:38 PM
Our playgroup meets on Tuesday afternoons, we're doing Music Together on Thursday mornings and a swim class late Thursday afternoons. Thursday's will be busy, but the times of the activities fall perfectly with his current sleeping patterns. I belong to another playgroup that meets on Friday mornings and play it by ear as to whether we go or not. Most times it's ds's naptime, so we skip it.

http://www.auction-pix.com/katasha/stuff/snowman.gif Mary & Lane 4/6/03

lisams
01-15-2004, 03:44 PM
2-3 times a week. We go to Gymboree and StoryTime at the library every week, and play group every other week. Being with other adults makes a world of difference in my day, even DH can tell when he gets home.

Lisa

nola
01-15-2004, 03:59 PM
Never.

amp
01-15-2004, 04:03 PM
We never schedule stuff for our DS to do. I mean, we take him out to walk in the park, go see animals, etc, but that's always just DH, DS and me.

I've also gotten together with 3 of the mommies on these boards, but DS was too young to interact much or enjoy the company of the other kids.

We have friends that live across the street from us that we hang out with every week or two or three, but they have a 9 yr old, a 2 yr old and I have a 7 mth old, so it's not like they play much together. The girls like to play with Jake, but he'd prefer to be with mom and dad!

csa12
01-15-2004, 04:16 PM
At least twice a week. I like to have at least one thing scheduled during the week and for now it's our Music Together class-which we both love love love!! Then some days I walk with a friend in our neighborhood or take him to the play area in the mall which he is now starting to enjoy more. There is a bunch of BBB moms that get together every so often too. The big thing I did notice with Liam is that he can "mix it up" with kids that aren't necessarily his age. They definately have to be older though. We had dinner with a friend and her two-year old and the kids both had such a great time together making each other laugh, so I feel comfortable doing things with kids that aren't his age. He is very much into mimicking right now so he'll copy anyone who is doing something new. LOL!!

Cheryl

Sarah1
01-15-2004, 04:27 PM
Right now, we go to Little Gym once a week, we have a playgroup once a week, and on Fridays, I almost always get together w/a good friend of mine & her baby--she works every day but Friday, so we always try to hang that day.

Aside from that, I try to get together once or twice a month with other moms I know...one (Kelly/kapow) I met last summer on the boards! It can be hard, especially when they are on a 2-nap a day schedule, and now that it's winter and it takes more motivation to get out the door.....

mom2kandj
01-15-2004, 06:36 PM
Right before the holidays, I would say we were overscheduled. We did 2 classes at the local Parks & Rec in addition to our Monday morning playgroup. We also tried to meet up with my BF and her two kids once a week which adds up to 4x per week. Now that we are back in town, we're doing our Monday mornings, no classes, and haven't seen BF in weeks! We are also on the hunt for the perfect preschool which is a nightmare! I was considering joining a Mothers of Preschoolers(MOPS) session on Friday mornings that had childcare provided, but now am thinking that it really isn't in the budget. Until we get a grip on the preschool search, I think I'm going to stick with playgroup only.

Rose
mom 2 Katie 12/02/00
& Jack 04/16/02

bluej
01-15-2004, 07:23 PM
Put me in the never group as well. On a personal level, I only know two other mommies w/ babies, one works full time and the other has three kids and like me, they just don't have time for stuff outside of home. And if there are organized playgroups here, I don't know about them. I don't really feel bad about it though. He gets plenty of kiddie interaction from the kids and their friends. I guess I could offer to watch Ava while her mommy runs errands and Ryden could play w/ her, but really, do I want to watch two babies, even for just a couple of hours? Mmmm, that would be a firm no.

C99
01-15-2004, 10:09 PM
We have playgroup every Wednesday. We had been doing Wiggleworms on Thursdays, but then were going to a park district class on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but that didn't work out, so we may do a Wiggleworms class again. Mondays and Fridays are generally "free" days in that they're not regularly scheduled, but I usually get together with one friend (and kids) or another at least once a week in addition to playgroup and the other activity.

So...about 3x M-F.

Mommie2MadLyn
01-16-2004, 01:12 AM
Usually about 2x a week. We go to a playgroup on Tuesday mornings, and then we try to get another play-date in throughout the week. I work 4 days a week, so its sometimes hard to fit them into my schedule, but we try! Madison's two favorite buddies are also on the boards...Brigham and Gannon! We are so excited for Gannona's arrival so Madison will have a little GIRL to play with too!!!