PDA

View Full Version : So would you take your 18 month old out on the open water?

flagger
01-15-2004, 02:34 PM
In the middle of all this packing and trying to find new housing, we are trying to get some details finalised for our two cruises as some of the excursions book up very very far in advance.

We will be going to Grand Cayman next January and want to take the Stingray City snorkeling tour. The person we are looking at going with has no restrictions on ages of who can go and we have always been very comfortable on the water. I just wonder about too much sun for her (even though not as harsh in the winter time). I am not paranoid about her falling overboard.

This is something we really want to do and if our IL's don't go on this cruise with us, we would take her. We just couldn't both be in the water at the same time. Would you take your DD/DS at 18 months on a tour like this?

dogmom
01-15-2004, 02:56 PM
Have you looked at life vests? I got one to take my son out on a pontoon (sp?) party boat a friend of ours has on a man made like. (Not exactly the high seas!) The life vests for very young children are made so the turn the child over face up and support the head on an inflatable pillow. I always had him under shade, and with sunscreen once he was old enough. I got the life vest at the Rugged Bear, they had them on their web site also. Theoretically I would do it, thinking of the boat rides I've been on in Hawaii and the like, but I might panic at the last minute. I know I won't SCUBA or let my husband do so now, for fear of leaving my child without a parent.

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03

bluej
01-15-2004, 03:05 PM
Yes, I would. Our kids have been on a variety of boats in a variety of different settings (lakes, ocean, etc) and have all done fine w/ life jackets and close observation from us. I'm sure Cocoa will love it, especially at 18 months. Sunscreen, light weight clothing, umbrella, there's all sorts of options and combinations that you can use to protect her (and yourselves) from the sun.

egoldber
01-15-2004, 03:18 PM
I would as long as there was a life jacket in her size. But as you realize, she's in more danger from too much sun.

Melanie
01-15-2004, 04:24 PM
What about one of those lightweight UV suits?

Are you thinking of taking her in the water, or just on the boat? I was going to suggest one of those one-piece swim-suits with the floatation built-in if she's going in the water...I've not used one, but they look clever.

http://www.onestepahead.com/jump.jsp?lGen=detail&itemID=417&itemType=PRODUCT&iProductID=417&change=117

http://www.onestepahead.com/jump.jsp?lGen=detail&itemID=91764&itemType=PRODUCT&iProductID=91764&change=117

flagger
01-15-2004, 04:28 PM
Gonna take her in the water. It will be fun to get a picture of her with the stingrays.

KGoes
01-15-2004, 04:41 PM
There is LOTS of sun in the Caymans. I fried on the stingray tour from snorkeling wearing multiple layers of wateproof sunblock since I am fair skinned (as in Morticia). But it's REALLY cool and I think any kid would love it. I wouldn't count on sunscreen giving her enough protection and would start looking for UV clothing, etc. for 18 month olds right now. One word of advice. I would take the tour that has you standing on the sand bar and not snorkeling (I forget the different names of the tours (and I am sure that there is some snorkeling on both), but the literature should make this obvious. The snorkeling is fabulous, but the crush of bodies around the stingrays would make it difficult for Cocoa (I even left to go off snorkeling and then circled back around) since everyone is paddling. IMO standing would be less hectic for you and thus, for her.
Have fun!
Kelley
DD born 7/03