PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Moms - a few questions...

wagner36
01-15-2004, 06:28 PM
Hi Ladies -
I've got a few Chicago-specific questions - so hopefully you guys can help me!

1) Where on earth do you shop in the winter?? I work all week, and DH is a SAHD - so the last thing I'm going to do is leave Charlie at home with his dad while I go shopping! DH is the worst shopper known to man, so bringing him along is just not an option. We live in the city, and in the spring/summer/fall I've always been a Damen/Armitage kind of girl - or I've headed up to Old Orchard (which is as great as a mall can be, IMO). But, now, in the winter, it is just the biggest pain ever! I've been dying to get down to Anthropologie, but I just can't fathom doing the bundling up, parking, stroller saga (Charlie is not a big stroller fan unless you keep moving), only to unbundle and rebundle with every store. I tried Woodfield, but after 15 minutes of 13-year-old girls with their g-strings showing I just couldn't take it anymore and I had to leave, but I digress. So, does anyone have any good suggestions? I am in a fashion crisis.

2) Are there any warm, zero-entry baby pools in the area? We'd like to do swimming lessons, but I think a warm pool would go over better. Alternately, we're only 3 blocks away from the Lakeview YMCA - has anyone done swimming lessons there? The pool seems so big and cold!

3) We missed the sign-up for Saturday Noon Wiggleworms (again!) at the Old Town, so now we're looking for another option. We live about 3 blocks from the Little Gym on Lincoln and about 4 blocks from the Gymboree on Lincoln. Would DS get anything out of these? He is almost 8 months. Or does anyone know of any other wonderful programs? I fear that both DS and DH need some social interaction ... the dog can only provide so much! Plus, I'd really like to be able to do something with Charlie on Saturday mornings.

4) Cute baby clothes stores - any others besides The Red Balloon on Damen (gives me an excuse to visit my favorite store next door), Psycho Baby or Active Kids?

5) Good, baby friendly restaurants. Our previous favorite was the Adobo Grill in Old Town - where they have always been wonderful with Charlie and we'd had success with some local brunch spots (Wishbone, Toast, Bret's), but we'd like to get Charlie used to the restaurant groove, so we're looking for other relatively baby-friendly delicious restaurants.

We're desperate for suggestions... We've lived here for almost 3 years, but we've just realized we need to explore the baby-friendly side of the city.

Thanks!

deenass
01-15-2004, 08:39 PM
My husband is from the Chicago suburbs and we lived in Evanston for 18 mos ... so here are my suggestions.

A nice indoor mall is Northbrook Court, about 15-20 further than Old Orchard off the Edens (I think it's on Lake Cook Road). When your son is a little older the nice thing about Northbrook Court is the treehouse which is a great place for your kid to play (with dad's supervision of course!) while you shop. Gurnee Mills is also an option, though about 45 mins further than Northbrook Court. They have a Rainforest Cafe there.

While I'm thinking about it, what about Water Tower or The Bloomingdales building? They are both indoors malls.

There is also an Anthropologie in downtown Highland Park (Edens off the Central Ave exit). downtown Highland Park has some nice shopping (a little pricey but some boutique type stores). It is all outside though.

I miss shopping in Chicago!

partyof5
01-15-2004, 08:46 PM
Hi Tara,

I'll try to answer your questions....

1 & 4) I love Old Orchard so I shop there with the kids even in the winter time. I just bundle them up really, really well, lol. Have you gone to Northbrook Court? It's just further north of Old Orchard and it's indoors. Plus, I don't think there aren't that many teenagers hanging out there. I think they may have the same stores as Old Orchard too. Water Tower is always an alternative as well as the mall on Michigan Avenue that houses Nordstrom (can't think of the name right now). If you are looking for boutiques, there's "Wear Me Out" on Southport just north of Addison and South of Irving Park. Cute clothes but a little pricey for me. There's "All Our Children" on Halsted just north of Webster I think. I remember that they had some cute outfits there too.

3) Have you looked at classes at your local Chicago Park District? Most locations have a Moms, Pops & Tots Interaction class during the week as well as on weekends. Depending on the park, it can be hit or miss. I enrolled Isabella at a MPT Interaction class at one park and I didn't like it at all but she is now attending preschool at another park and she loves it! For the price, it doesn't hurt to try one out.

5) As for restaurants, if you like tapas Emilio's on Clark can be pretty baby friendly during the early dinner hours. For Mexican, you can try Uncle Julio's Hacienda on North Avenue. It can be a little loud there so we always fit in with the kids. For Japanese, Itto Sushi on Halsted is a small and cozy neighborhood restaurant. If you are up further North, Katsu on Peterson Ave. is also kid friendly. For breakfast, I like Lou Mitchell's downtown on Jackson because they always give the ladies Milk Duds and the kids get a mini soft serve cone for dessert.

Hope this helps you out a bit.

~Cindy mommy to...
Isabella (11/1999)
Sophia (10/2001)
Ethan (4/2003)

Sarah1
01-15-2004, 09:14 PM
Hey Tara--fellow city dweller here! You'll have to get in on our next Chicago mom get-together...have you PMed Mary (mharling)? She's the "lead mama" of the Chicago group :)

SHOPPING--first of all, I could never shop successfully with Audrey in tow. I have a babysitter once a week, so if I do want to do any extensive shopping I do it then, but my clothes shopping trips are few and far between. My successful shopping trips were always in the Bloomingdale's building, but that was when Audrey was younger and didn't mind just vegging in her stroller for long periods. Another good spot (again downtown), especially once Charlie starts pulling up (if he isn't already), is the Nordstrom's complex downtown--they have a Lego playzone which Audrey really liked. Of course, germs galore, but if you can be at peace w/that it's o.k.

I also love Celeste Turner on Armitage. We did Wiggleworms and one day I stopped in there and since it's so small, I saw a couple things I liked, tried them on in a flash and bought them...the saleswoman was shocked at how fast I was. Clearly not a mom herself.

CLASSES--we do Little Gym. Audrey and I really like it--we've been going since September and are continuing into the next session. My advice is, go to a trial class (esp since you're so close) and see how Charlie likes it.

BABY CLOTHES--you seem to be in the know. The three you named are great. There's another boutique on Lincoln named LMNOP (near the 7-11) that sells really cool, funky baby clothes...it's pretty pricey, though, FYI.

BABY FRIENDLY RESTAURANTS--near you, I'm not sure. I live around Old Town (sounds like you may have lived over here before). John's Place on Webster is TOTALLY family-friendly. Twin Anchors is another one (only if you like ribs, though!) If you like sushi, Sai Cafe is very baby-friendly as well.

Hope that helps! And hopefully we can meet sometime soon :)

Momof3Labs
01-15-2004, 09:27 PM
Tara, if you happen to head up to Northbrook Court, Highland Park or Gurnee Mills, drop me a line - I'd love to try and meet up with you!

C99
01-15-2004, 09:38 PM
1. I don't shop. At least not for clothes, not really. I go to the Marshall's near my house when I need a fix, or in rare cases (like today), we went downtown to Fields (and I hit AT Loft [they're test-marketing baby stuff!] since it's next to our bank and across the street from my husband's office. I don't park; I take the El. Nathaniel does OK, but he doesn't like being in the stroller for that long -- he wants to get out and move around, and 20 minutes of crawling around the dressing room rarely does it for him!

2. I don't know. We've only taken a class at the Irving Park YMCA and the water was COLD. Too cold for babies. I know that they have swim classes for babies through CPD, but I suspect that the age range will be too wide and Charlie will be too young to really enjoy it.

3. Did you try a different Wiggleworms location? I think that they also have Wiggleworms classes on Sundays. And you can always try to add in late. Some people do drop the course. Oh, and there's this great family yoga studio, Sweet Pea's on Ravenwsood in Lakeview that offers Saturday classes for moms and babies. I know that they're doing a Saturday Kindermusik class, but I am not sure if it's full or not. http://www.sweetpeasstudio.com/yoga.htm They also do a Busy Baby class for crawlers & up that is really more about connecting than doing any exercise.

A mom in my playgroup went to Little Gym and said that she didn't like it. Another mom in my playgroup signed up for Gymboree, but said that her son (10-months-old) was overwhelmed by everything and is trying a different class. But I know that other people have taken their babies and they loved it; I think it just depends on the baby.

4. I don't generally shop at the baby clothes boutiques, so I can't help you there. But I can tell you where all of the great toy stores are! And someone from our Wiggleworms class just told me that Treasure Box Toys on Clark in Andersenville is having a 50% off sale.

5. Cafe Selmarie in Lincoln Square is *awesome* for babies. To be fair, I've only been there for lunch or brunch, but they are v. accomodating and friendly. I've gone with groups of moms and babies and they pulled out all of the high chairs and just let us sit there for awhile, didn't hurry us out or anything. You know that a restaurant is baby-friendly when they have a big old comfy chair in the bathroom for nursing!

This isn't really a restaurant, but I've also had great luck bringing Nathaniel to Julius Meinl at Addison & Southport. The Parthenon in Greektown and the Berghoff are both fine places to include a diner under the age of 2.

Nathaniel goes to bed at 6:30/7, so we haven't taken him to a lot of restaurants for dinner here. I can name lots of sandwich shops that are kid-friendly, but I don't think that's what you are looking for.

HTH

wagner36
01-15-2004, 11:04 PM
I now have a very large agenda for the weekend - my husband is going to love this (ha!). I'm so happy to have so many restaurant suggestions - I was actually forced to cook a couple of times recently - which is not my favorite thing to do at all. I got Chopping Block gift certificates for Christmas from the in-laws, if that tells you anything!

Cindy - we actually just got take-out from Itto Sushi last night - yum.

I had no idea that there was a Chicago group. I'll definitely PM Mary and let her know to put me on the list. We can't even think of the last time Charlie saw another baby, and while I know they don't play together too much at this age, we don't want to raise a hermit!

I've been eyeing LMNOP for quite some time. My husband always wants to go to the Hoagie Hut, but when I tell him that we have to go to the children's store nearby, he quickly decides that he's not so interested in the hoagie after all!

Since both Gymboree and Little Gym are so close, I think I'll do a sample class there in the next few weeks and see what Charlie thinks. It would be so nice to be able to walk there.

Sarah - I'm not a germ freak at all, so the Nordstroms thing wouldn't bother me. But, I must admit that your post on the shopping cart cover led me to place my order. My husband is mortified, but I think she can make me one in plain old black, so that should ease his fears a little bit. I'd held off for a long time, but when I was at the grocery store over the weekend and Charlie started sucking on the metal bars and sticking his tongue in the little spaces, I knew that aggressive steps must be taken. Once I read your post (and I agree, the fab 5 would have your head!), I was sold. So, here's a question: Which target do you go to? The terrible Target on Elston or the new poorly stocked one on Addison? If there's another Target that is better, please divulge!

Lori - a trip to the north suburbs may be in order. I've heard there's a Banana outlet at Gurnee. I'll keep you posted!

Caroline - you must have been at Harris Bank today! My firm is located in the Harris Bank building, so let me tell you, I am quite familiar with the AT Loft. 1/2 of my wardrobe is emergency Loft purchases due to coffee spillage! I did some prenatal yoga at Sweat Pea while I was pregnant, but I haven't done anything since he was born - I'll check back and see what the schedule is.

Thanks again ladies!

jennifer13
01-15-2004, 11:45 PM
Just 3 restaurant suggestions: Wishbone (on Lincoln, and on Washington in the west loop- less crowded, and Le Peep for breakfast/brunch/lunch, which is right across from Wishbone on Washington. And Leona's (many locations). And, if a ruben is what you crave, the Bagel is always good, and What's Cooking, which is in Lincolnwood by The Baby's Room. That was Norah's first restaurant. Also, I have heard that Feast on Damen was baby friendly.

OOPS! I just saw above that you already said Wishbone. Oh well, I'll keep it in here for other people. Would love to hear other restaurant suggestions!

Jennifer
Mom to Norah 5/23/03

mharling
01-15-2004, 11:59 PM
Tara -
Send me an e-mail (mctubbs @ hotmail . com) and I'll give you the scoop on our group.

http://www.auction-pix.com/katasha/stuff/snowman.gif Mary & Lane 4/6/03

C99
01-16-2004, 12:33 AM
You didn't ask me, but I go to the new Target on Addison. It's walking distance for me -- not that I want to walk there in this weather! There's also a new Target coming in at Harlem-Irving Park Plaza in July (not sure of the exact month). I used to go to the one in Niles, and my Evanston friends tell me that the one on Howard is a ghost-town, but I've never been.

Have you seen the AT Loft for babies stuff? They're test-marketing the concept. I got a cardigan sweater for Nathaniel there today. I didn't know if they meant it to be for girls only, but I figure that we can't go wrong with red cotton chunky knit.

Oh, one more think: Northside Parents Network. It didn't end up clicking for me, but I think it's because I live so far west that I'd get "matched" with all the other people who don't live in Lakeview/Lincoln Park. Someone once approached me about weekend playdates, so it would seem that there is interest.

chrissyhowie
01-16-2004, 12:20 PM
We don't live in Chicago anymore, but I wanted to tell you about a few restaurants that I really liked that were baby-friendly.

Cafe Nhu Hoa -- 1020 W. Argyle Street. This is kind of north, but it is very accesible by El.
This place has great Vietnamese and Laotian food. Great pho (traditional Vietnamese noodle soup). Much less divey than the other places on the block. Be warned, it's not a great neighborhood but we never had any problems parking our car on the side streets or anything like that. I so miss the Vietnamese food in Chicago -- NYC doesn't even come close to the quality of Vietnamese food that I found there!

Phoenix -- 2131 S. Archer Ave. Great dim sum, not too greasy like many places make it. Very baby/family friendly. Go early (9-10AM) to avoid the big crowds.

Ringo -- 2507 N. Lincoln Avenue. Very friendly staff. Fantastic, fresh sushi. It's a small place though, so best to go early or during off hours.

Brasserie Jo -- 59 W. Hubbard St. While I wouldn't call it a family restaurant, this is a place that was easy to go with baby while she was still small. Because it is large and conversation friendly, even when DD got very fussy one time, no one batted an eyelash. I don't think I would go once DD reached toddlerhood though, so get your steak frites in now!

So those were the places that we really enjoyed that we went to time and again after DD was born. As for shopping, it's kind of a far drive, but the Lighthouse Premium Outlets in Indiana has both a Hanna Anderson outlet and an Oilily outlet. It's hit or miss, but the Oilily outlet especially sometimes has some unbelievable sales for off-season stuff (ie: in the summertime I found $5 reindeer hat and gloves originally priced at $84!!).

This is making me miss Chicago!

HTH,

Sarah1
01-16-2004, 01:02 PM
Tara--I guess I go to the terrible Target (on Elston)! Which, by the way, was pretty poorly stocked on my last visit!

I did enjoy the cover. I did feel a little dorky, but who cares :)

sadie427
01-18-2004, 07:17 PM
A few other baby-friendly restaurants--

Moon Palace in Chinatown on Cermak next to the fire station--try the soup dumplings! They're always really nice to us with our 5 mo. old.

Cafe Iberico on Lasalle near chicago--for weekend lunch or early evening--too much of a pick up place later, but friendly during those times, and great food at good prices.

Old Jerusalem on Wells in Old Town--used to be more of a hole in the wall, recently renovated. They sometimes have their own young son running around and are very nice. BYOB which is also nice, and great food.

Have fun!

kapow
01-18-2004, 11:02 PM
I also shop the Target on Elston since it's the closest one to me. But I didn't know it was a "bad" one - I guess I don't know what I'm missing. I do remember how much their maternity clothing sucked, which surprised me since people talked favorably about their selection in general. I guess all the nice stuff went to the burbs :)

SHOPPING: I agree with Sarah, if I'm shopping for me, then I would prefer not to go with either of my men. I used to live off of Armitage - Studio 910 is my favorite boutique - but I'm in a shopping hiatus for now, since I'm not exactly at my preferred size. I've picked up a few things for myself at Elliot's Consignment on Lincoln (just north of Fullerton).

POOLS: We just joined Lakeshore AC on Fullerton and they have a separate children's pool that is nice and warm. They have a Saturday baby swim class and it's mostly men and their babies (alot of the moms watch from the sidelines.) We've taken Ian in just to play around - the pool is open swim all the time except during classes.

CLOTHES: There's Ciao Bella on Lincoln (north of Webster) and Madison and Friends on Oak Street, in addition to the ones already named.

RESTAURANTS: We've taken Ian to brunch & dinners at Gracie's and John's Place (both on Webster) and Tarantino's on Armitage.

Chrissy - I'm going to try Cafe Nhu Hoa because you said they have great pho. I got hooked on the stuff when I worked in Palo Alto and have really been wanting to try it again!