PDA

View Full Version : Baby falling from the Bed!

yhtking
01-16-2004, 02:17 AM
My DS is almost 7 1/2 mos. old. He fell asleep on the way back from the babysitter's. My DH put him in our bed and surrounded him with pillows to prevent him from falling off of the bed. Well, obviously that didn't work. I heard this big "thumb" noise upstairs and then a cry! My heart almost stopped. Poof fella fell and my DH found him sitting on the floor crying. Ugh! He seems okay. I was jsut wondering if any of you had any experience with your baby falling. I'm just paranoid if I need to take him to see the pediatrician. What does everyone think? He seems fine to us though. I'm so confused. No more sleeping in our bed unsupervised. My DH got an earful tonight.

Thanks.

SeekerMage
01-16-2004, 02:59 AM
If your bed wasnt up too high and he seem fine then I wouldnt worry about it. Angela has fallen out of her bed a few times, the one time she was practically still asleep just sitting there on the floor like huh what happened? Granted she is three and a half but still has yet to be hurt.

I would check him in the morning for any bruises but other then that I wouldnt be concerned...baby's bounce as the saying goes and Im sure he bounced just fine. The fact that he was crying shows that he was stunned and ok, you would be concerned if he wasnt crying. The concern in my eyes would come if he was laying funny, like arms bend behind him or in a position where something could be broken...but if not, which Im sure didnt happen, then I would just give him a little extra lovin and not worry any more.

luvmypeanut
01-16-2004, 04:36 AM
Nathalie has fallen out of our bed a few times. We did the pillow trick and she fell out twice. Our bed is just the mattress and boxspring surrounded by the bedframe so it's not that high. She was just stunned and stopped crying after I picked her up. The first time I really felt like a bad mommy, but I guess you just have to realize that these things happen. Recently on holiday, she was playing on our hotel bed and fell twice...right in front of our eyes. We were right there but it was one of those "slow motion I can see what's about to happen but can't do anything about things." Amazing what happens in that split second you take your eyes off the baby. She got a nasty rug burn and felt better after a quick cuddle. Please don't call child services on us!

sweetbasil
01-16-2004, 06:58 AM
Bless her little heart- that picture just made me wanna hug on her. What a little cutie...glad all the babies who fell from beds are okay! If you want to see that you're in good company, just do a search for a huge confessions thread about our scariest moments as parents- listing everybody's baby's worst accident, etc. There are some doozies in there (DS#1 included)!

Hang in there babies, and mommies too! :)

amp
01-16-2004, 11:02 AM
It happened to DS when he started getting really good at rolling. Bam, he was on the floor, with a loud thud, followed by screaming! It was scary, but after he calmed down, he seemed fine. I kind of knew what to look for if there were a problem, but made DH call the ped (I was too embarassed) to make sure and they told me what to look for and didn't seem too concerned, as if they get those calls regularly. Turned out to be no problem other than the initial shock and fear! You can call your ped if you aren't sure, but you can also look for anything out of the ordinary (eye changes, demeanor changes, eating changes, vomiting, altered mental state, bulging in the soft spot on his head, etc).

jillkatz
01-16-2004, 11:42 AM
My DD just fell out of my bed last week. I kept saying to myself-- "Thank God we have carpeting!" Aside from the initial shock she seemed fine. I just kept a careful eye on her all day to make sure she wasn't acting unusual. She was fine.

jmofarrill
01-16-2004, 11:57 AM
Anwyn has fallen off our bed twice - once was yesterday morning. She was shocked and scared both times. Each time, though, after some cuddling and nursing, she calmed down after about 1.5 minutes. I am terrified to leave her alone on the bed now, but she has very little affection for her crib. This morning, I woke her up to put her in her ultrasaucer in front of the Signing Times video instead of sleeping in bed while I took a shower.

jennifer13
01-16-2004, 11:59 AM
My DD just fell off the bed this morning! It happened one other time-Christmas eve. Both times she was fine, so scary though. As Andrea said above, my understanding is just to watch for head injury- vomiting, diahrea, mood changes, coordination problems.

Jennifer
Mom to Norah 5/23/03

khakismom
01-16-2004, 01:12 PM
Poor DS!! I hope he is feeling better!

If you took a poll, I think it has happened to almost everyone here. Kathleen crawled off our bed when she was about 8 months. I was a second too late trying to grab her, and boom. Down she went! x( I am adamant that it won't happen to Ellen, and so far so good!

I agree with Andrea also, watch out for listlessness, vomiting, diarhea, everything she mentioned. Good luck sweetie! :)

Rachels
01-16-2004, 01:41 PM
It's so scary! This happened to us once and was really terrifying, although Abigail was just fine. Bu it did prompt us to put ourbed on the floor and to put Abby's crib mattress on the floor also. I wish we'd done it sooner. My thinking is that if my baby is going to sleep on our bed, we need to make it safe for her.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

yhtking
01-16-2004, 07:36 PM
Thanks to everyone who posted to my question. I do appreciate it. It was indeed very scary. He was fine last night afterwards. He played and ate okay. He didn't cry all night or anything like that. I will definitley look out for the signs that you guys mentioned. No more sleeping in our bed! Crib he goes! Does everyone still leave their bumper on the crib afte ryou lower it to the lowest setting? I just noiced that the screws on the sliding side are loose. I can't seem to tighten them. I will have DH try it when he gets home. I'm just afraid that he may get to them knowing my DS. He is a very active and curious little baby. Thanks again!! :-)

amp
01-16-2004, 07:42 PM
It is my understanding that if you baby is mobile enough for you to lower the crib, then you would need to remove the bumper. Kids have been known to use them for climbing. We never used a bumper, so I can't speak from experience. And yes, I would definitely tighten the screws. Not only could they be a choking hazard if he could het them loose, but if he is pulling up on the rails, or holding onto them, you want it as sturdy as possible!

Glad your DS seems fine after his tumble!

toomanystrollers
01-16-2004, 08:54 PM
Glad to hear he's ok :) I would definitely remove the bumpers - don't need him getting tangled up in them or using them as a springboard.