PDA

View Full Version : DD doesn't roll from back to stomach

cuca_
01-16-2004, 12:02 PM
I don't know if anyone else has had the same situation, or if this is the right forum to post in, but DD has yet to roll from back to stomach and she is 7.5 mos. old. Her pediatrician is not concerned and I am not overly concerned either. I am just puzzled that she has been rolling from stomach to back since she was 4 mos. and has yet to show any intention to roll the other way. Actually, I see no incentive for her to do so, she hates being on her stomach. Our ped. said that since the back to sleep campaign a lot of babies roll from back to stomach much later. I don't know... just thought I'd ask what others' experiences are/were. TIA

bunnisa
01-16-2004, 12:22 PM
We are in the same situation. DS is 7 months old and he has never rolled onto his stomach. He rolls onto his sides all the time, but he hates being on his stomach. He fusses and complains during tummy time and rolls onto his back right away. I have to keep putting him back on his tummy, and he'll only tolerate my "meddling" for a short while before he's really irritated. All this to say, yes, I know exactly what you mean.

Bethany
It's a Boy!
William Eric (Wilkes)
6/16/03

vikivoly
01-16-2004, 04:08 PM
DD didn't roll from her back to stomach until she was 9 1/2 months. She was behind on most of her gross motor skills. She just started crawling at 13 months, but she is ready to walk any day now. At her 9 month appt. the Ped was concerned, but we opted to wait and see. It was clear that she didn't like her belly and that she could easily roll onto it, but she just didn't want to. I wouldn't worry, especially if she is on par with her other skills. Gross motor skills are the least important for a baby to be "on time" with. Unless there is something very wrong, they all catch up and start walking and running sooner or later.

houseof3boys
01-16-2004, 04:39 PM
If it makes you feel any better, Ryan started rolling over at 4 months both ways (front to back and back to front). He did this for 2 weeks and thought it was a riot. Then, he didn't do it again until last week. He is sitting up really well and can scoot backwards like speedy gonzalez so I don't really care if he doesn't feel like rolling. He got "stuck" on his tummy the other night at 3:00 am just practicing I guess and we just flipped him back and that was that.

I think all babies do this kind of stuff at their own pace and I wouldn't worry a minute about it. :)

jec2
01-16-2004, 05:31 PM
I was just going to ask a similar question--which comes first? Front to back or back to front? I thought back to front would come first and silly me have been trying to get DS to rollover this way. Now I know that I probably won't see it for some time! I'll start working on front to back :)

cuca_
01-17-2004, 08:28 AM
Thanks for your responses and reassurances. DD seems to be doing well otherwise, I just don't see any incentive for her to roll that way since she doesn't like being in her stomach. If I put her on her stomach she gets up on crawling position, and she wriggles back and forth in a weird style we call the worm. She uses her head, legs and butt to push herself, it's actually quite amusing to watch. She does seem to be doing well otherwise. I don't think she will be an early crawler/walker but that's fine with me. Thanks again!!

ScrapNancy
01-17-2004, 01:34 PM
Our DD did exactly the same thing - only she rolled from front to back at about 2 months. She hated being on her stomach....you'd put her down and within 30 seconds she would flip to her back. This got a little better when she learned to lift her head up, but she still frequently will roll off her stomach in favor of her back. So much for the "tummy time" theories! About 7.5 months I was also worrying because she showed no inclination to go the other way....then about a week before she turned 8 months she finally did it! She still only does it occasionally but just often enough to reassure mommy that she can do it if she wants to. She'll get there, don't worry!