PDA

View Full Version : Just a quick update...

em_jon98
01-16-2004, 02:00 PM
I can only sit upright for so long before I'm in excruciating pain, so I'll make this quick.

I had back surgery on Monday to relieve pressure on a nerve due to a lumbar disc issue. Everything went as well as could be expected. My surgeon did have his partner assist and it took (according to DH) 2 1/2 hours vs. the 1 hour he originally told me it would take. The other doctor told me when he saw me the next day that they took extra time to make sure that they got all of the disc fragments away from the nerve. I am not really allowed to do anything except rest and try to walk around as much as possible for the next two weeks. I also found out this AM that I cannot shower until Tuesday because they did not use a waterproof dressing on the incision, so I am feeling pretty crummy right now between being lightheaded from the painkillers and smelly from not showering since Monday morning.

Lindsey is still at Grandma's and I miss her terribly. I am in no condition to care for her right now...but I so much need her sweet face here with me right now. Mom is sending pics every day, but it is just not the same. She seems to be okay, except my mom told Jon that she has taken to biting my little brother when he annoys her. She's not a biter, so we are a bit concerned that she is not handling things as well as she seems to be. Mom also told Jon that she is going up to pics of us in the house everywhere and pointing to them and saying "Mommy! Daddy!" Jon hopes to be able to drive down to get her next Thursday (his sister offered to come up next weekend for a long weekend), but it seems like ages away.

Any-who, I know I had not really told anyone what was going on, but I wanted to give an update as to where I was hiding :).

NEVE and TRISTAN
01-16-2004, 02:12 PM
Rest up and know we are sending you "feel better" vibes!!!

Neve
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

momathome
01-16-2004, 02:18 PM
Here's to a speedy recovery and being reunited with Lindsey soon! Take care of yourself!
-Lauren

lmintzer
01-16-2004, 03:55 PM
Emily,
I'm sorry to hear you are in pain! I've heard disc surgery can be just awful. It's terrible to have back pain and not be able to move, because then the pain gets worse. I really hope you are on the mend and feel better soon. As much as the pain killers can make you feel out of it, keep hanging in there and taking them. It'd probably be much rougher without them.

I can't imagine how hard it must be to be separated from your little one. Will she listen if you talk to her on the phone? That way, she'll be reassured that you are still here. Or you could even make an audio or video tape for her to listen to or watch during your time apart.

Sending "quick healing" vibes your way,

Lisa
& Jack, 4/20/01
& Joshua, 11/16/03

amp
01-16-2004, 04:52 PM
Hope you are on the mend soon! Try not to do too much too soon. And look forward to hugging your sweet girl again soon!

parkersmama
01-16-2004, 05:24 PM
Hope you heal quickly, Lindsey!

sweetbasil
01-16-2004, 05:32 PM
Wow- thanks for taking the time to check in and let us know you're doing okay...I hope you feel better soon, heal quickly, and that your wait for a shower seems much shorter than four days!

Hang in there,

MamaKath
01-18-2004, 12:34 AM
Feel better soon, and rest! Lindsey will be home soon and how lucky she is to have some special Grandma time while you recover. Take care, and keep us updated.

toomanystrollers
01-18-2004, 10:36 AM
Emily,
I hope you get back on your feet soon! And into a nice hot shower :)

starrynight
01-18-2004, 11:41 AM
*hugs* Emily, I hope you recover quickly. I'm sure the biting is just the change in routine for Lindsey.

em_jon98
01-19-2004, 03:21 PM
Thanks all for your kind words. I'm feeling a little better every day, and have started to feel more like myself again over the weekend (not so lightheaded and groggy all of the time). Plus, DH went out this morning and got a shower massage shower head with the long tube so I could sit in the tub (with my midsection wrapped in plastic wrap lol :)) and finally wash my hair. Yahoo!!! :) I felt like I could have stayed in the tub forever and let the warm showery water flow over my legs, but Jon had to go to work and I was getting stiff so out of the tub I came.

Lindsey is still doing great with my parents. She actually spoke to me on the phone yesterday instead of pushing buttons, saying "Einstein" (because she was watching a new Baby Einstein video) and "Bye mommy," so that really made my day.

amp
01-19-2004, 04:14 PM
That's so sweet! You'll be holding little Lindsay before you know it! Here's hoping you're feeling like yourself in no time!