PDA

View Full Version : Antibiotics, gas, and (sorry) poop

drsweetie
01-19-2004, 07:44 PM
Hi! Laura has been taking an antibiotic (specifically, Biaxin) since Wednesday and, since Friday, has been plagued with dreadful gas -- it sounds like she's got a little machine gun in her pants! Fortunately, she doesn't seem overly bothered by it, but what is driving us all nuts is that she isn't pooping like she usually does, and I think it's affecting her eating. I'm not sure I can explain this adequately, but instead of having several small BMs throughout the day, she now has one VERY LARGE one late in the day, and prior to that she barely eats anything. After the BM, though, she's ravenous! I don't think she's constipated per se, because her bowel movements aren't hard, but she sure seems as though she's "blocked up" and simply doesn't have room for any food. We are attributing this whole business to the antibiotic because that's the only thing that's changed in her routine lately, although I suppose it could be something else we haven't thought of.

So, I'm wondering: has anyone else noticed a similar thing happen when their baby takes an antibiotic? What, if anything, should I do about this?

Ellen
Mom to Laura 6/9/03