PDA

View Full Version : For those with babies with ear-tubes

nitaghei
01-20-2004, 02:28 PM
How long after the procedure did you see an improvement - particularly with respect to sleeping at night?

Neel had tubes put in exactly one week ago. He's had an ear infection that was resistant to treatment, and the ENT found a lot of fluid during the procedure. Neel was fine the next day, but has become progressively less happy. He woke up screaming and inconsolable several times on Saturday and Sunday night, but no fever. In any case, we took him in to the ENT, who checked him, and said the tubes were working correctly, and the eardrums looked fine, and everything looked like it should.

So why did my baby wake up TEN, count them, TEN times last night? :( At least he wasn't screaming. We are going back to the ENT next week for another follow-up.

But, please, someone reassure me that he will sleep sometime, and so will I! I haven't slept for more than 1 hour at a stretch for 6 months now - and I'm a total zombie.

Nita
mom to Neel 01/05/03
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

momtoemma
01-20-2004, 02:53 PM
Nita,

I'm sorry to hear Neel is having such a rough time with his tubes! I don't remember my DD having any change to her sleep patterns after the tubes were put in. When she was at the age we had her tubes put in (11 months), she had been waking up several times each night but would usually go right back down if I made sure she had her pacifier. I don't think this changed when we got the tubes put in, so I'm not much help here. Are the tubes draining? My DD got a nasty ear infection less than a week after the surgery. Once we got past that, we've only had one additional infection since. Once they have tubes and they get an infection, you can't miss it because those tubes will drain. Our ENT also found a lot of thick (meaning it had been there a long time) fluid in one of DD's ears when we inserted the tubes. I hope he feels better soon!

twins r fun
01-20-2004, 02:55 PM
Caleb got ear tubes exactly a week ago also! We haven't had problems with him sleeping or any problems at all (but he did not go into the procedure with an ear infection). However his brother is waking up for hours each night crying and that is all about teething (2nd year molars). Do you think Neel might be getting his first set of molars? He's about the right age and molars are ROUGH in my experience-much worse than other teeth and it goes on for months (sorry!).

nitaghei
01-20-2004, 06:01 PM
This is not encouraging!! :( I was convinced that Neel's sleep issues were related to his ears, and that he would start sleeping again when he was more comfortable. The tubes are draining the fluid - there's still some there.

And it could be teething - he's been drooling and refusing to finish his one bottle of the day, and nursing in small bursts. And if it's molars - I'm just going to curl up and die. I am soooooo sleep-deprived - not to mention the associated migraines - I can't continue like this for months and months!!

Time to move this to the Bitching Post.

Nita
mom to Neel 01/05/03

ddmarsh
01-20-2004, 06:35 PM
Nita - We've always had instant success with tubes so I'm inclined to think it may be coincidental. Another thought is that if he has been having trouble sleeping maybe it's just restlessness from habit right now and once he is more settled from feeling better ear-wise he will get back into a good pattern.

I'm so sorry, being sleep-deprived is just the pits :(.

TaChapm2
01-20-2004, 07:00 PM
We had Jackson's first set of tubes put in when he was 4 mos. and he wasn't sleeping well at the time. I'm not sure if it was from the ear infections or what it was. We never really noticed a change in his sleep habits that we could blame on one particular thing. I do know that it seemed to take him awhile to adjust to the change that the tubes brought on. I am not sure if it was the relief of pressure, hearing better, or just the way the tubes felt in his ears. Our ENT said that they would feel a little strange in his ears and maybe even itchy. I would be inclined to think it was teething that is causing the sleep problems. We just had our second set put in today and it has been a b***h of a day. He is sick, sick, sick! I hope things get a little better. I'm sure it will be a long night for us as well. I'll think of you at 2:00am. :-) Hope he feels better soon and that you get some good quality sleep soon!
Tara
Mommy to Jackson (11-10-02):-)

nitaghei
01-21-2004, 04:54 PM
Hope you got some sleep!!

I'm so discouraged, and at my wit's end. We HAVE to get some sleep - soon!! DH is muttering about Ferber, if not CIO - and I'm so exhausted I might just let him do it.

Nita
mom to Neel 01/05/03

TaChapm2
01-21-2004, 08:58 PM
Not much.

I don't remember our last set causing him this much discomfort. Today has just been a nightmare. He cried for 3 hours straight. He has been hitting me and pulling my hair and banging his head on the tile. All things that he has NEVER done before. It is like a little monster has taken over his body. I talked to my aunt who is a nurse and told her about DS not sleeping and she mentioned giving him some Benadryl (not to drug him up). She said that if the tubes are itching him, and she thought they might be, that the Benadryl would stop that and help him get some much needed rest (us too). I just have keep telling myself that it is only because he is feeling bad and soon it will be over. This too shall pass! Hang in there! Days like these really make being a parent hard but it is soooo worth it.
I'll keep my fingers crossed that things get better soon!
Happy Sleep Thoughts!!!!
Tara
Mommy to Jackson (11-10-02)

Melanie
01-22-2004, 12:22 AM
Maybe he's in pain from the procedure? I would think it would be painful...tylenol might help.

sweetbasil
01-22-2004, 01:34 AM
Same with us, Nita, though we've just been through the whole tubes thing once...DS#1 was a different kid the minute he woke up from the surgery (he could finally hear us!) and slept much better the first night.

Wishing your household many restful nights ahead....

nitaghei
01-22-2004, 11:05 AM
Yikes! Have you called your ENT? BTW - ours also recommended Benadryl and Tylenol to help with the discomfort. I'm not wild about drugging anyone - but pain is even worse. And both of you need some rest!

Hope the poor guy's feeling better.

Nita
mom to Neel 01/05/03