PDA

View Full Version : signing w/baby - I'm sold, but have a question about videos

kristine_elen
01-21-2004, 02:09 PM
Hey there. I'm so psyched that Jack has learned the signs for "eat" and "more." Today I went to put him down for a nap and he fussed, made the sign for "more" (which he uses as "eat" sometimes) so I said, "Oh, are you hungry? Do you want to eat?" and his face lit up and he grunted in the affirmative. I fed him, and put him down with no problem. I think I want to get some videos for him, but wanted some feedback. I've been reading through old posts and it seems that a lot of you like "Signing Times." I'm leaning toward these b/c they use ASL and I figure we might as well learn real signs. Are there other videos (aimed at the child, not the parent) that use ASL that you'd recommend?
Thanks!

smomom
01-21-2004, 02:23 PM
I know you are looking for other recommendations, but I recently purchased a couple of the Signing Time DVDs and can vouch for the positive rating that they receive. DS doesn't sit still long enough to watch very much of them, but in time I think he will really like them. I enjoy them by myself.

I would suggest checking with your local library to see if they have any videos that you can check out so that you can try before you buy. I have heard others say that their library has the "Signing Time" series. I checked out a Garcia video (intended for adult viewing) from my local library and it saved me from purchasing it. I didn't care for it - or maybe I just had a problem with a grown man in the 21st century still parading around with a rat tail! Yikes!

You may also want to search amazon.com for products and reviews.

Good luck with your signing. My son is is a month older than yours and he is started to put some words together too. It's very exciting! BTW, he also associates the "more" sign with eating for now. :)

egoldber
01-21-2004, 02:41 PM
Well, I have SEVERAL other signing videos and none of them are the same quality as Signing Time. They are by FAR the best.

HTH,

stillplayswithbarbies
01-21-2004, 03:44 PM
I only have Signing Time, but I have to say they are wonderful. We started at 6 months, and after watching it 3 times, Logan started making the sign for milk.

We reinforced that by making the sign while she was nursing, and saying "you're drinking milk" with the same inflection they use on the video. She quickly learned to make the sign when she wanted to nurse or have a bottle (at the babysitter).

the good thing about Signing Time is it shows an adult make the sign and then it repeats different kids making it, while showing the thing they are signing about. Babies and toddlers are natural mimics, especially of other kids.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

parkersmama
01-21-2004, 04:01 PM
I used the book Baby Signs with my first two kids and did not have a video of any sort. They picked up the signs but were so limited by how much I remembered to do it with them. We got all the Signing Time DVDs for Christmas and we all love them! The boys & I have all the signs memorized and dh knows most of them now, too. We all practice them with Amy Grace and she loves watching the video also. I highly recommend them!

emilyf
01-21-2004, 05:25 PM
We have signing times too and they are great-Charlie asks to watch them-he says "eeah" for Leah, the girl in the video and is more interested in these than any other kid tv/movies. He has a bunch of signs, but he has also learned a lot of spoken words watching these videos.
Emily \r\nmom of Charlie born 11/02

marit
01-21-2004, 08:03 PM
I am looking for that video too! (Signing Times) but couldn't find it anywhere on line. I must be doing something wrong since it's so popular. Can someone please give me a link?

Thanks,

peasprout
01-21-2004, 08:17 PM
http://www.signingtime.com/

You can also bid on them on Ebay,...might get a better deal depending on how many other are bidding against you! HTH!

cdlamis
01-21-2004, 09:01 PM
I have checked out some other signing videos and by far Signing Time videos are the best! The other ones seemed boring and lost our interest pretty quick.

The best price I have found for the 3 pack DVD are from this place:
http://www.mommysthinkin.com/baby_sign_language_signing_time.htm
$54 for all 3 with free shipping
or
from singingtime.com directly its $59 with a free cd. They also sell videos as well.

Have fun!

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6-13-02
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b35d0802848f *December pictures

Momof3Labs
01-21-2004, 10:34 PM
We love Signing Time!! Colin has about 16 signs, and just in the last week or so, started signing allllll the time. I think that we got the videos about 4 months ago??

sarahfran
01-22-2004, 02:01 AM
I'm so glad you asked about this... I've just started reading about signing and I'm looking forward to trying it. How early did you all start? I read somewhere that boys are slower to pick it up than girls... does that make sense to you? I want to make sure my expectations are appropriate.

-Sarah
Mom to Dylan, 8/18/03

Motherhood is such a joy!